No downtime appreciation bonuses?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Calia, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Uuggerr New Member

I agree 100%... I got off work, had some free time and was ready to play.. now for 24 hours (+ it seems) I can not.

I paid good money for a service I can not use for no fault of mine. I did not receive the service that I paid for and was agreed to by Daybreak.

I need compensation of some sort, either 1/365th of my yearly fee (that I have paid since 1999), or some in game comp.

It's as simple as that. Like Solanli stated, if my IPS drops the ball and my service is down for just 1 hour, I get 1/30th or 1/31th (or 1/28th) of my bill comped and applied to my next bill, that simple.

So I don't see the issue here.

If the isp drops the ball and my neighbor whom has 100mb service and myself whom has 50mb service do not have service for the day or hour, we still get comped the same.. 1/(days of month) of our bill.
  2. Disapointed Lorekeeper

Section 1.5 of the EULA
    Scheduled and Unscheduled Service Interruptions
    Games are "online" games that must be played over the internet. Daybreak reserves the right to interrupt, modify (including, without limitation, adding or removing servers), suspend, cancel or terminate the Software or any Game(s) with or without prior notice for any reason or no reason. You agree that neither Daybreak (nor its licensors, licensees and/or service providers, if applicable) will be liable for any interruption, delay and/or failure of the Software and/or any Game(s) to perform, and you understand that you shall not be entitled to any refund of fees for Paid Content (defined in Section 3 below) or other compensation for interruption to your use of the Software an/or any Game(s) or any failure of the Software and/or any Game(s) to perform.

Best of luck with your "needs"
    Jennre and Duder like this.
  3. Uuggerr New Member

I understand your sentiment, and your choice of posting name. and I agree completely with the legal writing in the EULA.
    I also understand the customer service side and public perceptions of companies.
    If you check the legal policies of most of the corps in USA, you will see the same wording about their products and services.
    With that said, you will note that 99% of the corps will just go ahead and issue a comp of some sort for an interruption or problem with goods or services when it is a fault of theirs, to save face with the public.

We see this with the un announced "patch" the other day for the Krono issue which cause an outage of service, where as they stated it was a back end system wide issue. They came back online without fixing the issue.
    They then went and researched the issue found where they believe the problem lies in the backend, affecting all of daybreak and did a 24 (+) hour outage with very short notice.
    Yes they are attempting to fix a "major" issue and it is a "major" undertaking, I have worked in places where this kind of outage would be a company wide nightmare for everyone, not just those involved.

So to save face and calm the customers that put the bread on their tables at the end of the day, a flick of the wrist and "every game gets %comp% for 48 hours" is nothing to them, as for it is literally 1 person typing 1 sentence in an sql command. And makes the customer base go "Yipee" not so upset now.

Or you could come across as a stickler and say, just as you have, well we told you we could do this now please sit down and be quite.

If we wish to look are companies in the past that stood hard and fast behind their "Legal Policies" I do believe you would have to brush the dust off their physical last few SEC filings.
    Vumad likes this.
  4. Uuggerr New Member

EQ Servers are up, go play
  5. Zamiam Augur

wow I have to hand it to DB they got the servers up in just over 24 hours .. now lets hope they stay up !! :p

I hope they give a xp bonus and extend anniv another week .. im sure they wont but would be nice..

but I applaud the Dev's for a job well done and being quick on the server up time ..
  6. FrozenWater Augur

Negative 50% bonus exp for the next week because they were early.
    Jennre and Niskin like this.
  7. Flatchy Court Jester

This was the plan all along. They figured it would be an 8 hour patch, told everyone it would be 36 hour. That way when they get it done in 24 you are all happy as clams. :eek:
  8. Kiaro Augur

When OoW hit on Phinigel I did 66-70 in a single 5 hour sitting, finished up my AAs within the first week, XP pots non stop, basically you do it to get it out of the way.
  9. Accipiter Old Timer

Where do you live? I've never heard of any US ISP or cable company doing this.
    Tatanka and Nennius like this.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Google does it with Google Fiber and I am sure that others do it as well as internet is a service where downtime isn't expected.
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

Huh. Cox and Comcast sure as hell don't.
  12. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Good thing the downtime here was expected.
  13. Vumad Cape Wearer

I do this... I tell people I will be later than I plan to be, so they think I am early. And I tell the people who are always late an earlier time, so we can eat when we are supposed to. It works well.
    Flatchy likes this.
  14. Nennius Curmudgeon

I have Cox and the only time they ever gave back anything to me was when I wrote a letter to their corporate counsel and raised hell. Fortunately, I was annoying enough that three Cox employees came as a group and rewired the house and a new drop from the pole. I have nice, fast, internet now. :)

To be fair though, with the exception of a six month period a few years ago our service has been pretty good.
    Accipiter likes this.
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

Yeah, I don't have an issue with Cox reliability. My issue is with Cox's pricing. Still, it's the only game in town so...
    Nennius likes this.
  16. ---Xislaben--- Augur

I asked the devs for double raid trash for the hours of zero raid trash we missed. They said no.
    Vumad and Nennius like this.
  17. Jennre Band Leader

This made me LOL hahaha
    Nennius likes this.
  18. Nennius Curmudgeon

In a sense our reward was a downtime that ended waaaayyy earlier than announced. I still want the ability to create custom signs for my houses. Things like:

KEEP OUT!!! YOU'LL NOT RUIN THIS LAND LIKE YOU'VE RUINED YOURS!!

or

THE GARAGE SALE IS NEXT DOOR

or

GET OFF THE LAWN YOU JUVENILE DELINQUENTS!!

or even silly stuff like

Fried Green Halflings
    Served Hot!
  19. Godsanvil Journeyman

In my opinion.....Do something. No one is going to complain about getting something. Plenty of people will complain about getting nothing. It costs you nothing. Its just good customer service. It's just stupid to do something that might piss someone off when you can avoid it. While peddling a 22 year old game.
  20. Act of Valor The Newest Member

This is completely not true. We've been given bonus exp/named/whatever in the past and people still complain about some nitpicking detail. It's embarrassing.
    Waring_McMarrin and Nennius like this.