3 days down??????

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by CatsPaws, Apr 14, 2021.

1. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

You already know the answer to that. If they aren't planning to do bonus exp, which costs them basically nothing, why would they refund money which costs a lot more than nothing?
    Andarriel likes this.
  2. Riddish Lorekeeper

So you want like.... 65 cents back? Let's be real here. Online games go down, DPG isn't happy it has to go down, and definitely do not like posting EQ will be down, especially because of reactions like this.
    Hope it all goes smooth.
    SmellyFinger and Tatanka like this.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

EQ is an online game that doesn't promise 100% update and it is expected that there will be monthly downtime for patches so why should we expect compensation for something that is expected? Also as as already been mentioned it would be between $0.50 and $0.75 for a refund depending on your subscription time and it would likely cost more to do that type of refund than they would be giving back.
    The real Sandaormo likes this.
  4. Metanis Bad Company

As bad as this is for players the ramifications this could have for the Dev team could be tremendous. "Back-end systems" could mean their LAN and internal file server infrastructure. They could be upgrading from Windows 95 to Red Hat Linux. Won't that be fun! I hope the Dev's make personal backups of all their current projects, who knows if that stuff will get migrated correctly or not? They'll probably lose all their file permissions and it'll take weeks for admins to figure it all out.

I'm serious, in 2021 this kind of migration should be totally invisible to customers and they're estimating 36 hours of downtime? In poker we'd call that a tell. And it's not a good tell.
    Fenthen and Accipiter like this.
  5. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

I love these threads. Why not...

Split the 36 hour downtime over a 28 day period with 1.28571428571 hours downtime per day and that daily period is randomly selected via hamster races (livestreamed)? All extra downtime must be padded in up front, no surprises allowed.

Or, make two copies of every server, tinker on one until it works with the changes, then hotswap everyone over to that copy and start working on the other one? No pushing the infrastructure cost onto the subscribers though.

Maybe, downtime happens unannounced, goes as long as necessary, the total downtime is posted, players submit tickets itemizing all they would have accomplished on their account during said downtime and are granted all experience, items, achievements, etc? Yes, the honor system is how it is policed but the catch is, you only have until the next downtime to submit your ticket even if the next downtime happens immediately after the servers come back online, which is also honor system policed.

Let's keep brainstorming. Anything has to be better than the agreed to terms of service.
  6. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Just for the sake of conversation: If all their servers were down for a complete month, would they then be required to refund the monthly subscription? Or is there somewhere in the eula, where it says they can shut the server down as often as they like, with no repercussions at all(except for angry costumers) ?

Im completely fine with the occasional downtime, and this is not a flame, Im just curious. :)
    Fenthen likes this.
  7. Tucoh Augur

I'm not actively playing EQ, but I demand compensation for whatever is going on.
    Tatanka likes this.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

When the servers were down for a month a few years back, I'm pretty sure we all got a free month.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Bit hard to do that when their whole system will be down, it's not just EQ it is all their games.

Taking the servers down for shorter periods of time usually takes a lot longer total hours as everything needs backing up before they come down and rebooting and testing to make sure everything is working correctly everytime it goes back up.
  10. Metanis Bad Company

There are many ways they can minimize the downtime by pre-planning and pre-staging. For example you set up your new storage system weeks in advance. You backup all your data to the new system while leaving the old system running. Then you begin doing deltas overnight while you test the new system. At some point when you're confident in the new system you run a script and point production at the new storage array. Bingo, nobody has to experience any downtime at all and if there ARE glitches you have the old system still completely intact ready for fallback.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Fenthen like this.
  11. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

I am uninterested in feasibility and functionality. I am only concerned with the travesty of player inconvenience. We were not consulted to have this scheduled around the appropriate days we would not be online.

Focus up, we also need to address the F2P accounts. Monetary compensation is not going to work in their case.

Bonus XP is neat, but that ignores those with max XP on all chars.

Rare spawn bonus, hmmm, all hunters done, max raid gear on all chars.
    Metanis likes this.
  12. Benito EQ player since 2001.

The game is 22 years old. (Far beyond the lifetime expected even by tunnel vision optimists in the early 2000s). I think we are in the triage or "beggars can't be choosers" phase of game's lifespan for the most part.

There are lots of assumptions and expectations being flung around. (I will put myself in this category). I am sure some of the devs and engineers would be bristling to be reading these posts. I know there is a belief in all gaming communities that "if we pull hard enough, things will change for the better."

If backend work has to be done, it has to be done. (Do we really think it is in Daybreak's self-interest to arbitrarily bring the game down?). It's like foregoing house cleaning or yard work because it takes away time from the TV and computer. If you don't tend to it now, it's just going to get worse.
    Sokki and feeltheburn like this.
  13. Svann2 The Magnificent

I object!
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

It's a solid choice.
  15. Accipiter Old Timer

Well played, sir. Well played.
    Nennius likes this.
  16. Accipiter Old Timer

The DOS attack on Sony in May of 2011? Yeah, don't remember it.
  17. minimind The Village Idiot

Businesses aren't known for interrupting services for zero expected gain. You simply have a lack of information and thus don't understand their rationale. Furthermore, they don't need to give you their rationale for the downtime to be worthwhile.
  18. Zolav Augur

I really don't understand why people are so upset. Explain it to me. So what if the games gonna be offline a couple days, who cares!

Is your existence so sad you have to make this into a big deal? You want a refund?? of what.. .50 cents? LOL.. hit my inbox I will Venmo you the .50 cents if you promise not to whine for a couple months.
    Sokki and feeltheburn like this.
  19. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

I just want double xp for overseer for a week and ill be happy!

Andarriel
    Elyssanda likes this.
  20. Accipiter Old Timer

Most aren't upset. They are just trying to get something for nothing.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.