Wizard agro in POP raids (Agnarr)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Montag, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Montag Augur

What can I do to stop getting summoned by raid bossrs other than just stop trying to complete with the melees?

I have the concussion clicky legs, do I really have to click it 3 times after every nuke?

It's sou frustrating knowing I could keep up with the best if agro wasn't so broken.

Why have the devs never done anything to address how badly this cripples the one thing wizards are designed to do in the most popular eras of every TLP. I mean there's a reason there are hardly any wizards raiding time and this you do see are very lackluster on the dps parse.

I'm open to the possibility that I'm just doing it wrong and would much appreciate any advice.

Specifically any tips on what the nuke to concussion ratio looks like for high dps wizards who don't die a lot.

Or really any advice on maxing dps without being dead all the time.
  2. Zinth Augur

you keep clicking it til you can cast a nuke... and learn to love it and get your AA's to spell sublety if they are in yet
  3. Karanthal Augur

The combo looks something like

Nuke, Nuke, Concussion
    Repeat until dead
    Divine Res, start from step 1.

No good news I'm afraid, Luclin was your sweet spot for topping parses. Once melee get Time weapons with ldon augs it's going to be hard to compete.

Knight tanks rather than warriors would help you stay alive.
  4. Xeris Augur

You should be using ancient concussion imo. When I've seen good wizard parses they're using ancient concussion rather than the elemental legs. Also it depends on the tanks. Some tanks are better than others at holding aggro.

I think a good cycle is:

- tears of mar
    - tears of ro
    - shock of magic
    - concussion a few times

Repeat. Also, ask Nihillus, he's very good at wizard. I can only assume you're in my guild since afaik no other guilds have active wizards :p.

Another thing you can do is wait longer before starting your burn. Don't dmg until mob is at about 80%, should allow tank time to build aggro. In this case, you losing out on dps of 20% of the mobs hp is probably better than you getting summoned and die when the mob is at 50%.

But in all seriousness, afaik ancient concussion is better. You can also just spam leg click like 7-8x between nuke cycle.
  5. Kiaro Augur

Talk to your raidleader about building aggro for tanks when you pull a boss, it really helps with DPS in a massive way.

Most bosses can be "Weapon Shield" pulled by a ranger who spams flame lick or other high aggro generation spells during their 18s of 1000% parry, the warrior then engages with AE taunt and you have a fairly concrete aggro lock, can blast away without worry at this point.

You can also use SKs/Paladins to kite and build aggro with their instant casts then have the warrior taunt it off.

Also, depends on what weapons your warrior is using, if its some pile of garbage, expect to get slapped hard, a warrior dual wielding BloodFrenzy and Blade of the Exiled is going to be near impossible to pull off of in era. Side note, if your raid isn't putting your warriors in group with bards (DS resists overhaste), there is some serious brain donor issues in play.
  6. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Camp at about 80% after casting a few nukes, log back on and then dump the rest of your mana bar.

If you are on Agnarr, 90% of your raids are Time and because you can mount in there you can camp mid-combat so its pretty easy to not miss much time. Just have your group leader reinvite you when you return.

This is frequently what we would do on Al'Kabor to reset aggro on wizards. That and DA Aggro dumping but that doesn't work on Agnarr.
    Bobbybick likes this.
  7. Xeris Augur

Oh true, never really considered camping mid fight. Big problem with POTIME right now is how fast the fights are. We're clearing all of time in 1hr 45 mins. Each boss fight is lasting like 90sec or so. By the time a wizard camps out and logs back in, they're going to miss more than 50% of the boss fights.
    Vule_Xyrashue likes this.
  8. Xhartor Augur

BloodFrenzy and the BBotE both have great proc rates, but they hurt on the swing side of threat generation. They are luclin era weapons. Warriors also need the Time BP for threat mod, a stun proc buff item (Planemaster, crimson sigil glvoes, orb of the sky) to help with threat generation. Also Boots of despair help with taunt failure rate on raid mobs.
  9. Kiaro Augur

BF out threats Edge of Eternity in the OH with DBoWL MH when it comes down to it. But yeah, time BP is big booster. Sorry I derped and thought this was an aradune question.

Its probably down to the fact that they're not preloading threat for the tanks.
  10. Xhartor Augur

In PoP and earlier it's best for tanks to be carrying an item to help front load aggro like a midnight mallet or a swollen fungusbeast gland.
  11. Foaming I Drank Bleach IRL Once

Just use knights who know that they need to grind AA each raid to use glyphs. Solved.
  12. HoodenShuklak Augur

When I raided as a wizard youre literally clicking the entirety of a fight unless you run entirely out of mana or camp. On Agnarr I was camping during Emp Ssra, but I cant really think of any others.Parsed well for not even having the gear of a "main" either -- the meta game is basically learning aggro and balancing that to your mana.

Eventually (and soon) tank aggro gets really good though and it's a lot less complicated. You know you're safe to go ham when the mages stop dying and start parsing well.
  13. Xeris Augur

Pff I don't need glyphs to tank anything in potime :p I think you guys haven't been on Agnarr in a long time. People who are main tanks now are completely BIS. Changes the game. Time bosses are dying in 90 seconds. As an SK I have almost 14k hp and over 1,000 ac. 1,060 ac with a bard in my group.

Anyhow, I feel like Agnarr currently is in a weird place given how fast these fights are and how overgeared players are.
  14. Tweakfour17 Augur

Thats more related to MOTM and pet aggro transfer than Tanks suddenly getting better aggro generation. Both happen, but MOTM messes up pet classes alot more than a tanks (in)ability to hold aggro.
  15. Montag Augur

I'd thought of camping but having to ask for ri/dz several times would suck I guess I'll just conc like 3 times per nuke and see if that works, though it's really bad gameplay.
  16. Tweakfour17 Augur

Camping doesn't remove the dz and if your raid is unlocked the group lead can invite you back in w/o pestering the raid leader. But I agree, not a very good solution.
  17. Sythrak20 Elder

Shouldnt even need glyphs at this stage, knights can tank everything in PoP.
  18. Darchon_Xegony Augur

I miss the days of Vallon Zek downing defensive warriors in 1 second.

[Mon Feb 18 23:56:59 2013] You are completely healed.
    [Mon Feb 18 23:56:59 2013] Vallon Zek was hit by non-melee for 63 points of damage.
    [Mon Feb 18 23:56:59 2013] Vallon Zek hits YOU for 1005 points of damage.
    [Mon Feb 18 23:56:59 2013] Vallon Zek tries to hit YOU, but misses!
    [Mon Feb 18 23:56:59 2013] Vallon Zek tries to hit YOU, but YOU riposte!
    [Mon Feb 18 23:56:59 2013] Vallon Zek tries to hit YOU, but misses!
    [Mon Feb 18 23:56:59 2013] Cleric auctions, '444 CH ---> Tank 444'
    [Mon Feb 18 23:57:00 2013] You have been healed for 2099 points of damage.
    [Mon Feb 18 23:57:00 2013] You are infused with the power of nature.
    [Mon Feb 18 23:57:00 2013] Cleric auctions, '555 CH --> Tank 555'
    [Mon Feb 18 23:57:00 2013] You have been healed for 449 points of damage.
    [Mon Feb 18 23:57:00 2013] You are blasted with chlorophyll.
    [Mon Feb 18 23:57:00 2013] Vallon Zek tries to hit YOU, but YOU dodge!
    [Mon Feb 18 23:57:00 2013] Vallon Zek was hit by non-melee for 63 points of damage.
    [Mon Feb 18 23:57:00 2013] Vallon Zek hits YOU for 2265 points of damage.
    [Mon Feb 18 23:57:00 2013] Vallon Zek tries to hit YOU, but misses!
    [Mon Feb 18 23:57:01 2013] You have been healed for 2265 points of damage.
    [Mon Feb 18 23:57:01 2013] You are completely healed.
    [Mon Feb 18 23:57:01 2013] Cleric tells the group, 'Quick Heal ---------> Tank'
    [Mon Feb 18 23:57:02 2013] You are completely healed.
    [Mon Feb 18 23:57:02 2013] Vallon Zek was hit by non-melee for 63 points of damage.
    [Mon Feb 18 23:57:02 2013] Vallon Zek hits YOU for 1740 points of damage.
    [Mon Feb 18 23:57:02 2013] Vallon Zek was hit by non-melee for 63 points of damage.
    [Mon Feb 18 23:57:02 2013] Vallon Zek hits YOU for 1005 points of damage.
    [Mon Feb 18 23:57:02 2013] Vallon Zek hits YOU for 1005 points of damage.
    [Mon Feb 18 23:57:02 2013] Cleric auctions, '6 6 6 CH to Tank 6 6 6'
    [Mon Feb 18 23:57:02 2013] Cleric auctions, '--- 777 --- (CH Tank)'
    [Mon Feb 18 23:57:03 2013] Vallon Zek tries to kick YOU, but misses!
    [Mon Feb 18 23:57:03 2013] Vallon Zek was hit by non-melee for 63 points of damage.
    [Mon Feb 18 23:57:03 2013] Vallon Zek hits YOU for 2475 points of damage.
    [Mon Feb 18 23:57:03 2013] Tank goes into a berserker frenzy!
    [Mon Feb 18 23:57:03 2013] Vallon Zek was hit by non-melee for 63 points of damage.
    [Mon Feb 18 23:57:03 2013] Vallon Zek hits YOU for 1845 points of damage.
    [Mon Feb 18 23:57:03 2013] Vallon Zek hits YOU for 2265 points of damage.
    [Mon Feb 18 23:57:03 2013] You have been slain by Vallon Zek!

Comparing these Al'Kabor logs to my logs from Agnarr VZ seems way less accurate even with the higher max hit due to mighty buff.
  19. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

I mean it's not like they need to save those AAs to buy anything in GoD.
  20. Glowerss Augur

I'd never actually looked at AA for tanks in GoD. Jesus christ you're not joking.