Account to account transfers... when?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Donroy, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Belkar_OotS Augur

I am thoroughly disappointed by this development.

I have been wanting to swap around some characters I have spent years developing and frankly have 0 desire to restart when I have loved and invested characters that are being shelved.

Clearly they are missing out on a revenue stream. I hate they they are not providing any options aside from... Buy a heroic and restart.

How hard is it really to pay an intern to copy paste some files and make 2 phone calls to verify information.
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Back when this first stopped working (July 2017) right after they officially ended support in game for Win XP it was apparent it was never coming back. At that time I made other accounts.

Since they are getting steady revenue from those other accounts it far exceeds the one time charge this used to be if I had purchased a transfer at that time.

But I don't mind the monthly charge, keeps me out of jail and bail is much higher.
    Skuz likes this.
  3. kenmei Augur

if I recall, when SOE left the building, they took the account to account transfer tech with them.
  4. kenmei Augur

interesting, I was on agnarr and tried the same when it launched, and I was told they havent had the tech since SOE left. maybe you are loved by a GM.
  5. KrakenReality Augur

Account to Account Transfers + Recruit A Friend/Box both brought back together before the next expansion launch. Go pluck that money from the money tree.
  6. kenmei Augur

just sayin..
    eq2 tlp pvp beta launching april 6th.
    your logic is flawed.
  7. kenmei Augur

tbh, i think it was based in when folks were being PL'd thru RMT and having their accounts used in nefarious ways and/or then being stolen.
    When SOE took the tech, it was a headache gone for DBG and a great excuse as to why they cant do it anymore.
  8. Beimeith Lord of the Game

It's not a tech issue, stop spreading that rumor.

It's a cost issue. It has to be done manually, which means they have to pay someone to do it. It's not worth it for them to do that.

If the SoE->Daybreak transition had anything to do with it, it would have been someone at the top saying "stop wasting money on that, it's not worth it." (But that's just a guess).
  9. theonepercent Augur

Sounds like a tech issue to me.
  10. Tweakfour17 Augur

Another game has pvp so the logic is flawed? I've never played eq2 but from all accounts they share some similar lore and are otherwise very different games. No?
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

My own understanding of it is that it used to be far simpler due to the way the character files were stored, with the system changes it became a lot more complex as they moved from the old flat file system to a database.
    I am not knowledgeable enough in such things to give a more qualified answer than this but from my limited understanding moving characters between accounts now is far more difficult than it used to be due to size & how many things exist in different places per account & per character since that change.
  12. Warpeace Augur

Thats some mental gymnastics to make EQ2 PvP equal EQ PvP, completely different games.
  13. Beimeith Lord of the Game

You're wrong. It's literally the opposite. Modifying a record in a database is much simpler than modifying flat files. If anything it is *easier* for them to do it now than it was before.

The issue is it requires an actual employee to do it because they have to verify you are the legitimate owner of the accounts since they are not linked in any way. Someone likely did the math and the cost of doing it exceeded the money they made from it, pure and simple.
    Bardy McFly, Machen and Skuz like this.
  14. Hadesborne Augur

SO how about $75 per transfer. I mean everyone has their price.
  15. TLP Addict Augur

Deb not gonna be happy when she finds out she earns 3/4 of the salary of the male employees.
  16. Gentsia Apprentice

I have a f2p account that I would pay for if I could transfer some of my 115 characters to it!
  17. Donroy Elder

I'd pay that in a heartbeat.

I think the reason why this keeps getting brought up was the verbiage from their website linked earlier in the thread which implies that it's something of a back-burner possibility with no ETA. All the "at this time" lingo doesn't help because it gives people like myself hope that someday, it will return. I realize that there likely won't ever be a "no, never, stop asking" response because anything is possible. Because of the above, players will always occasionally inquire to keep the Devs aware that it's a desired feature.
    Bardy McFly and Tweakfour17 like this.
  18. Kadazic New Member

They don't need one person paying $75 for a single transfer though. They need probably 800 people paying $75 every single year. And even at that it probably.wouldnt generate any real profit.
    Skuz and Beimeith like this.
  19. Lejaun Augur

Most of you should work for Darkpaw and sit on their financial board. You seem to have access to all of the information and the costs locked down and memorized.
  20. Machen New Member

While this first part is probably true, the last several rounds of ban waves show that DPG is quite capable of matching owners of accounts in some very creative ways when it suits their purposes. Accounts are linked in many manners of ways.