Community Resource Council Applications [Now Closed]

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by dreamweaver, Mar 18, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

I'm not sure what the confusion is here. From what Dreamweaver has said, this looks to be a resource that the developers will periodically use to answer their questions about the game from players ... and it starts on a monthly basis.

This is a good thing as it is an explicit statement that the institutional game play knowledge of the developer team is lacking. Which it is. There are probably dozens of players now with better understanding of game mechanics than the developers because they have spent 20+ years playing the game.

The players are the best resource for in game things. But as the forums show, anything simple is quickly bogged down and/or sent in a hundred different directions because everyone has their own opinion. Seems like a way for the devs to control the interaction while getting good knowledge from players. And hopefully it frees more time to work on issues that affect the game (lag, disconnects, etc).

I don't want class reps or a select group of players giving direct input to the developers that might take precedence over forum/discord threads. We've had that ... and it wasn't very good.
    Tigonus and Dre. like this.
  2. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I am guessing this push on this has to do with the new staffing that doesn't have history with the game?
  3. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Quoted from Dreamweaver
    It used to be called the CRT (Community Resource Team) but it's basically a group of players that the devs utilize for specific questions or testing from time to time. The expansion is going to change how it works to an extent with more specific projects or things like that over time. They'll also be more public facing but don't have anything like GM or Moderation abilities if that's what you're asking.

This is the reason for more questions trying to find out how it will all work. I am not sure what the confusion is about what the confusion is.

I think it is perfectly reasonable for us to be asking for additional information. If we don't get it we don't get it but no harm in asking. And for those of us who don't have the chance to question those who have been on the council it is still new to us. *shrugs* I realize some communities in the game may have more info as to what this job has been in the past and have fewer questions though.

If I was running the program I would be encouraging questions and trying to push out as much info as possible to cast as wide a net as possible to get as many applying as possible. But that is just me I guess.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  4. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

I'm pretty sure they don't know how it's all going to work at this point. They're gathering a number of folks who are interested in helping answer questions and doing some specific tasks in game (whether Live, TLP, Beta, or another server TBD). I don't want them to have a laundry list of things ... hopefully there are just a few things and we'll see what happens from there.

But it's still all about time on their side. The more time they have to use the group, the more tasks/questions there will be. But we'll see if they actually have the time. History has not been kind to consistent time for various projects in Everquest.

I understand what you want the group to be ... a step above the forums for direct input into the devs. But that's not what the game needs right now IMO. Priority #1 should be fixing the network traffic issue ... manifesting as lag in raids/instances, lag on the servers, lag in chat, lag on these forums, lag on logins, etc. I'm hope this group helps that priority by being able to answer from a player point of view (or test) questions that the developers have as they work on this issue.

Once the lag beast is tamed ... then we can move on to other things. But folks are not logging into the servers because of lag issues. This is bad . I'm personally hoping that this group can help in some small way getting us closer to solutions, even if it's offloading stuff not related to lag but needs to be answered anyway.
    Jyve, Gyurika Godofwar and Duder like this.
  5. Elyssanda Bardbrain

I too had questions, but they weren't just open ended.. I asked a specific questions, and got specific responses.
    and DW's response:
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  6. dreamweaver Community Manager

I already have a significant amount of apps to go through, even though there aren't a ton of comments there is already a ton of interest.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I guess that means no need to go into it further. It would have been nice to know though. Best of luck to all who applied.
  8. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Not sure who you were directing this at. No I don't expect it to be a step up from the forums. And yes I agree that is not what is needed. I was curious to learn in more detail what Daybreak actually needed though.

First and foremost EQ is a business and I agree they have a number of things that need work. The lag in raids is definitely one from what I understand.

I just wondered if it would be more then answering technical questions. There is still lots of room for things that are not solely forum based stuff.
  9. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

It's hard to know where to draw the line. They need player expertise on some things, but if they go too far then the players start to dictate things. To some degree that's good, the players know what the biggest problems are on any given day, but that only works if the players are acting in the best interest of the game rather than themselves.

It's not hard to know which issues are causing the biggest stir, they will have the most threads/posts and the most angry people going off about them. So they don't necessarily need council input to figure that stuff out. If the council helps them understand and test the problems more effectively then that's probably good enough.

The advocacy part is the most interesting thing. EQ probably needs big changes in the future to sustain itself, those likely won't go over well. Having a council that can spread the word in game and try to counter the insanity on the forums will be a good thing if that happens. If people think the council is too much in DPG's corner they probably won't listen to them. So it's best if this stays on the player side of things, but has the ear of the devs and management to be able to say "if you don't deal with x, then you will have to deal with y later on."
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This isn't always true as there can be large threads with just a few people participating or calling for action on something. Not to mention the number of people posting on the forums is small compared to the number of people playing the game and there can be bigger issues that are not talked about on the forums much.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Kalvenie like this.
  11. Rexa Ask someone else for buffs

I guess it depends on the issue at hand. If we're talking about specific class abilities/mechanics though, the biggest discussions have usually been done in Discord and private class chats/channels with far more elaboration on any specific issue or "aha" moments at hand. It can also be counter-intuitive at the same time since we are discussing it privately on class forums/servers where it doesn't get enough or any dev visibility. In the past, this was not so much an issue since there was usually a member most likely of CRT being part of such discussions.
  12. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

It's not hard to see when it is just a few people arguing something. It also doesn't necessarily matter if it is or not, the arguments either have merit or they don't. When people reach the end of their rope on an issue, at least a few of them will come to the forums and let it be known. Others who see it will jump in. If it's important enough and broken enough, it will be a popular thread.

It's actually good that it happens that way. I'd recommend anybody who doubts this go read the Wizard Love post in this section. It's amazing, so much knowledge and discussion in there. Clearly those in the discussion have spent some time thinking and discussing this before now. That thread is just the place it's all coming out in the public.

These are the EQ forums, when people want to say something about EQ that they hope the devs or management will hear, they come here. If they bring a poor argument, there will be people here lining up to let them know it.
  13. Fuelforfire Lorekeeper

If there are enough resources, volunteer or other, being added back to the company then maybe there could there be a chance to to put the database entries in for items that benefit certain classes best? This was one of those things that was applied during my last EQ break. And even though I didn't need the additional suggestion for my class, it seemed like a good idea to reduce the barrier of entry for new players. And guessing it was halted just due to lack of resources available.
  14. Bigstomp Augur

I remember when they had recommended classes.
    It caused no small amount of bickering and passive aggressiveness because what one person values and what the devs thought they should value were often different.

A good example was during a few expansions where for clerics at least mana was irrelevant. It was pretty much impossible to run out.
    Why wouldn't the cleric choose the tank gear to survive a little better?
  15. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

I remember a good half of my Paladin's BiS gear not being "recommended" for hybrids at one point.
  16. dreamweaver Community Manager

Just a reminder!
    Arraden and Jyve like this.
  17. dreamweaver Community Manager

Hi Everyone! Especially those of you that applied, I know you are anxiously awaiting the announcement of the new additions to the CRC but there is a slight delay because of a few outside forces, I hope to have an updated timeline for you all soon.

Thank you for all the applications and your patience!
    Jennre, Marton, minimind and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.