What have you learned from playing Everquest?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Mar 18, 2021.

1. Elyssanda Bardbrain

Improved typing skills, pre EQ I was a 35-40 wpm typist, now way beyond that even in the dark.
    asset management (tradeskills)
    time allocation and management (EQ + full time job + 3 kids and husband)

(never have learned to shut up though.. always have been a chatterbox, will probably be talking to the inside of my urn)
  2. Verily Tjark Augur

I learned how to use the bathroom very quickly.
    Jennre, Nennius and Zamiam like this.
  3. minimind The Village Idiot

1. Data analysis: Pivot tables/charts, data cleaning, tracking mathematical dependencies, etc.
    2. Delegation of work/duties via strengths and preferences
    3. How to give instructions/information -- Detail is good, but you have to follow that with extremely simple must-know stuff or else most people will be lost.
    4. If you provide a service for people, some portion of those people will aspire to treat you like crap and expect you to make all their dreams come true in response.
    5. It's better to do SOMETHING with your friends than try to find the BEST THING to do. We have so many options in life that finding the BEST thing will eat up what little time you get to spend with each other. Even if it comes to rolling a die to figure out what you do, just do it and go!
    Valdest and Elyssanda like this.
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Don't let the "perfect" be the enemy of the "good"

I heartily agree!
    minimind and Elyssanda like this.
  5. Act of Valor The Newest Member

That raiding a convenience store for awesome loot doesn't go over too well with the authorities as a valid excuse for trespassing.
    Pano likes this.
  6. Pano Augur

English.
    Tatanka, minimind and Elyssanda like this.
  7. Smokezz The Bane Crew

That I should probably never play another MMO if/when EQ shuts down.
    Shanarias, Belexes, Elyssanda and 2 others like this.
  8. Coagagin Guild house cat

Female characters are always puppeted by a dude until proven otherwise.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

As much as I've loved playing EQ, this x 1000000
    Zamiam and Belexes like this.
  10. Belexes ForumQuester

That I am not the digger type. :)

11. Belexes ForumQuester

Yep, it is my only foray into the world of the nerd and if the game is ever sunset, I'll replace it with another sport. :p :D It is the only game I have played on a PC since 1987. I have no interest in other games at all on a PC. Gaming consoles are a non-starter. This one got me when it first came out for some reason.
  12. Zamiam Augur

right , my brother got my hooked on EQ when it first came out .. he stopped playing like 10 years ago and to this day I give him crap for my addiction ..

If EQ ever does go dark , i'll never play another MMO .(.Period)

I will also prolly need years of therapy and have the DT's for months afterwards
    Elyssanda likes this.
  13. Svann2 The Magnificent

Never trust a necro
    Elyssanda likes this.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Especially when asking them for a SoW in Burned Woods ;)
  15. Wyre Wintermute I'm just a butterly dreaming I'm a man

16. Ninelder Augur

Are you and Steve still together?
    Jennre likes this.
  17. minimind The Village Idiot

Wyre Wintermute likes this.
  18. Elyssanda Bardbrain

That EQ may be full of nerds and geeks, but we are all amazing people in our own ways.

I've seen amazing artwork from some people. Own a cloisonne pin and some stickers made by a dear friend from Luclin, Owly. Now I'm getting artwork and a 6" painted figurine from IceSy (because I paint like a drunk 3yo finger painting while riding on a mustang)
    I have friends I trust beyond with my life, I trust them to fix my computer when I screw things up... which is at minimum a yearly basis.
    I have friends who I know, I can call anytime day or night if I need to talk and they will be there for me.
  19. Flatchy Court Jester

I have learned I can miss people I have never really met in RL. All the good folks who used to play or passed away. I still cannot bring myself to remove some of the names from my friends list.