Confession Corner

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by WarpedJester, Feb 20, 2021.

1. Elyssanda Bardbrain

Jhenna, Long long ago in the time before time, I had a friend that for years wanted me to PVP against him, a wizzie.. he would go out of his way to figure out where I was, and train me.. I kept telling him don't do that.. you won't like the result.... and he'd say PVP ME!!!!! finally after about the 6th time.. I logged on and went anon one day, figured out where HE was (Twilight Sea), went there, and trained the WHOLE (or as much as I could get to follow me) zone to follow me (thank you level 2 ae ) and ran over his butt.

then I said keep it up, nobody causes trains like a bard.
  2. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Short confession, I know, but back in '99, I didn't have any item in my feet slot until like, level 12, because I had no idea where to buy shoes in the Freeport region.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  3. Svann2 The Magnificent

Haha. I think I wore fishing sandals for a bit.
    Stymie likes this.
  4. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

My first EQ character was a Human Paladin named Freakymonkey, which I picked to be silly, but then started to regret. By level 5 I realized I was dumb, gave my stuff to a friend, deleted the Paladin, made a new one, and got my stuff back from that friend.

The funny thing is that the second Paladin eventually got deleted also, but I don't remember his name at all, because it wasn't memorable like Freakymonkey. Now I wonder what silliness would have ensued if I had kept that name, and stayed a Paladin instead of switching to a Druid.
  5. yosco Augur

1. After a cragbeast queen kill in Natimbi, I ran out over the ledge with lev on and cothed my pally friend, who I knew didn't have lev on... he immediately fell to his death.

2. On numerous occasions, I cast the arx key (portal clicky to Lord Seru's mansion in Sanctus Seru) and then asked a bard for single target DA. I'd have DA on when the clicky finished casting, which meant my raid group got ported to a completely different zone in a completely different area from where we were, but I was still with our raid. People didn't think to look at casting logs, I guess (or that wasn't a "thing" back then).
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  6. Accipiter Old Timer

I had a co-worker years ago who had a cleric and an enchanter. He'd hang out in Kelethin and if a noob wanted a bind he'd say, "OK, no problem. Autofollow my enchanter." When they were grouped and following he would lev the noob, run off the platform, and bind the noob with the cleric (standing on the platform) as the noob and ench floated down. First death after that was a death loop since the poor noob was bound in mid-air. I don't know if this is still possible but I suspect it is.
  7. LongtimeNecro New Member

Arranging the sacrificed corpses in the letters of our guild name was a nice touch, I wish I could take credit for that idea but I'm sure it was Hayzeus that came up with that one...

I admit to always keeping a list of people who "wronged" me in the game, usually the offence was for being mistakenly accused of "training" and it was a pretty long list as I started playing way back at the beginning of time. During that time GM's and Guides were ever-present so in most cases a GM or guide would personally visit the scene, and take away from my valuable play time trying to determine who trained who. Although the list is long gone and I've been long retired the memories of exacting Necromancer revenge are still some of my best (or worst) moments in the game.

I don't recall the name of the guild, but I was happily soloing in Plane of Fear and minding my own business off in the far corner of the zone when I started getting /tells from some people accusing me of ruining their break. WTF? I'm thinking. I do a /who and see a bunch of people in zone, where previously there had been nobody and keep typing /who and seeing the zone go empty. Turns out said guild was having some difficulty getting the entrance broken and when someone in zone did a /who they saw my name and assumed I must have zoned in with them and screwed them all over. Sometime shortly thereafter a GM shows up in zone and makes her way to me and asks me straight out if I had purposefully interfered with said guild and then asks me what I'm doing in Fear all by myself. I carefully explained to the GM the challenge of soloing in Fear, the difficulty of getting from the zone in all the way across the zone to a zone wall and some small measure of temporary safety. The extreme nature of kiting carefully selected mobs for several minutes at a time with other mobs in the vicinity with huge aggro radius. I explained that just getting from the zone in to my chosen hunting spot was a half hour of mostly being feigned on the ground followed by 20 steps of running, followed by laying around feigned death. I then demonstrated how I would carefully pull a mob and slowly kite it back and forth with multiple rounds of dots. Meanwhile said guild had entered the zone, wiped again, and was continuing their /tells with me and /ooc as they were trying to collect corpses and get out of the zone and find some way to rescue their egos. The GM then asked me why I was in the zone, I wasn't getting any loot of value. I simply replied "for the challenge."

The other guild was told that I wasn't responsible. I did a look up online for the guild and found all their leadership names and requested some apologies and got some colourful replies back. From that point forward I figured if was going to be "guilty" of training their guild I might as well have the satisfaction of actually performing the act. For many months afterward I would randomly do a /who in zones and if I saw groups from that guild I would train them. I never made an announcement, never took credit, never stuck around, just quietly and stealthily did what a Necromancer does best, left corpses in my wake.

My other confession is I used dots on my guildmates in /duels so they took experience deaths. That was a really harsh penalty once upon a time.

Thraedin, retired Necromancer of Xev
    WarpedJester likes this.
  8. Metanis Bad Company

Who knew that a properly timed Call of the Hero works better than an FD? Especially when the Mage is standing right next to a zone line. And both characters zone out immediately so that when the carnage is over they aren't even in the original zone.
  9. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

When you changed the guild portal to Plane of Hate, for years it was the one stone that didn't do an announcement in guild hall that you changed it.

So I'd wait until banner was dropped for raids, it was changed to guild standard, then quickly change it, to watch 5-10 people start complaining about being in Plane of Hate. Was good for a laugh a couple times.
    Zaray, Deux and Nukester like this.
  10. Mindra New Member

My guild was meant to be a group of real stand up players, and I really stuck by exemplifying that almost always.
    I had some antics, but made no notion of hiding them whatsoever...

As raid leader in my guild, I may have called raids now and again that I had no intention of us being able to execute successfully (without sharing that information), but maybe we could learn something, or maybe the guild would even surprise me...

As a tradeskiller, I may have entered bidding wars in EC, that ran so high I decided to sell my whole stock to whatever sucker's offer I drove up to 5x the going value.

The deep dark secret that I'll have to answer for in the afterlife though, that did not involve willing parties, is that I may have KS'd Stormfeather.
    I was passing through Iceclad, when lo and behold, the griffon pops right in front of me. I dashed up the hill daggers blazing, clicking all the DS items I had and readying a dd poison; and when I arrived, I'd be utterly dismayed to find a monk FD'd nearby.
    "Hail, Monk",
    Silence.
    "Hail, Stormfeather" "Hail, Monk"
    ...damn it's been 5 seconds, someone's going to come along and bag this thing if I don't do it myself...
    So I engage, and a few rounds of attacks in, said monk decides to wake up and engage with me. We dispatch Stormfeather together, and I did get the xp (I think the monk was higher level, but I did have a short head start).
    While I'm holding the loot window open, he begins telling me about how long he'd been camping, and he was just afk for a minute and all that jazz (still, he was clearly camping it).
    I checked with the guild officers for their imput, who all thought I should loot, so that is what I did.
    The monk promptly logged off, and I actually never saw him online again.

So that's the only one I still lose sleep over. Thanks for providing this outlet.

Then I may have trained the KC zone in once or twice. I always shouted it though....

-Mindra Skylarker of the Iksarian Broods, Bertoxx.

... Oh, and then there was also the mature cheese thing...
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

0% rezzing people I thought were utter dipsticks, on purpose. And I felt no shame, still don't.
  12. Elyssanda Bardbrain

were you watching Funstuff and I do the broodling task in POK when he helped me get my little Pony??
    Metanis likes this.
  13. Sissruukk Rogue One

On TZ I had a halfling druid for a while. After the short race team and the elven race team made peace, Kelethin became a major commerce area, where I decided to park my druid. We would get beggars asking for coin to buy gear, so I would give them a few plat...all in copper. Then I would gust of wind them off the platform to their deaths. Not a few minutes later you would see them /yell or /ooc for a SoW. :p
  14. hein Augur

Ummm I sitll print spell list and check them off. /shrug
    WarpedJester, Zinth and Andarriel like this.
  15. GoneFission Augur

It’s not really a confession, but when everyone was excited about the gnome cannons coming out in Secrets of the Fay expansion, I thought we would be loading gnomes not ourselves into the cannons.
    Andarriel, Metanis and Svann2 like this.
  16. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Eons ago i used to drop pp on the ground and log on my other char and pick it up long before shared bank space. Used to do in old freeport how i miss that old zone.

Andarriel
    Stymie, GoneFission and Niskin like this.
  17. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I wasn't so brave, I did it behind a tree in an out of they way area of Butcherblock.
    Stymie and Andarriel like this.
  18. Svann2 The Magnificent

I used to laugh at the people that asked in /ooc "did anyone just find a bag on the ground"? The first time you feel sorry for them but then it happened so often it just became funny. And it wasnt players picking it up - it was the NPC's. Freeport! A wretched hive of scum and villainy.
    WarpedJester and Andarriel like this.
  19. GoneFission Augur

I used a side passage in the newbie zone outside Halas. It was so secure that it could take me a half-hour to find again, pre-maps.
    Andarriel and Svann2 like this.
  20. Windance Augur

Ran across a dead group in WW caves this morning.

Sent a tell asking if they wanted a rez. No response.

Went ahead and sent a rez and a few seconds later the characters have accepted and pop into zone. Still no response but I'm feeling >> NICE << so I move up into one of the other caves and came back after repops to find the group dead once more ...

I was tempted to send them a few more rezes just because I'm nice and helpful, and who doesn't expect to eat a few rez/death cycles when they AFK ... but decided to post here instead =)

What would you have done?