blizcon whats whoever owns eq going to do next?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by TLPman, Feb 19, 2021.

1. TLPman Augur

so TBC classic was announced today what is (I don't know what company runs this now days, insert name here) to keep up with the dip of people this time around? I know mangler took a huge hit when classic wow happened... hope you have something good up your sleeves
  2. code-zero Augur

3. Gremin Augur

"Pulls out his cracker jack decoder ring" Blizzard announced that The Burning Crusade classic servers will be released in 2021. With the release of the classic WOW servers there was a huge dip on Mangler server, how is Daybreak going to respond.
    minimind likes this.
  4. Tweakfour17 Augur

Here is the response:
    Wait until merge Selo and Phinny into Live servers. to free up 2 servers hardware.

Release Phinny clone 4.0 along with another server which is a phinny clone but with a slight ruleset change that is intended to be appealing but ends up not being like maybe FV loot but with perma death or Double raid loot and no keying, but each expac is 1 year long. Then repeat again next year
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Probably very little they can do with EQ, it's like asking "What will the Gnat do when the Elephant decides it is going to take a bath?"

EQ is in no position to compete with the MMO behemoth, it is so small in comparison that it shouldn't even try.
    All EQ can do is to keep on being the best EQ it can be, if EG7 decide to invest in the development of EQ in a significant way it would still take months or even years to start seeing the results of it.
  6. Machen New Member

Drive away most of their players with random unjustified bans, apparently.
    tofu stir fry and Gnothappening like this.
  7. Quasimojo Elder

This sums it up nicely. I think EQ is pretty much comprised of loyal EQ players (meaning just that they've determined that EQ is simply the game for them, not loyal to the company or anything) and players just here until the next intriguing MMORPG launches. DBG simply needs to focus on keeping the former happy. EQ has firmly established itself in its particular niche. I don't think there is anything to be done to move it up that popularity/appeal ladder, so to speak. People prone to jump to the next big thing are gonna jump. EQ needs to remain something they would be interested in coming back to one day.
    Tweakfour17 and Skuz like this.
  8. Febb Augur

I think the plan for EQ for the forseeable future is to keep doing the same thing.

It's like asking a local mom and pop grocery store to compete with Walmart in the same town. You can't compete with the low prices at Walmart but you have a nice set of people who refuse to shop at Walmart. This is the same thing with EQ. I don't want to play WoW, I don't care for it so EQ still has my business.
    Siah and Skuz like this.
  9. KrakenReality Augur

More like asking Sears to compete with Walmart. EQ was once the biggest name on the block, then poor management and competition led to its relegation.
  10. Barder-mangler Augur

There really is a core following of EQ players and "return" EQ players when new servers come out, so there really isn't something they need to do in order to respond.

That being said, there would definitely be an advantage in starting the next TLP either a month before/after TBC releases, so it's not in direct competition. Personally, I'll play both TBC and the next EQ server that comes out, regardless of timing. I'm just guestimating, but I think the overlap between EQ/Wow players today might be around 15-25%, so it would definitely be to their benefit to not directly compete with any new wow launches.
    Skuz likes this.
  11. Barder-mangler Augur

I just noticed your name is TLPMan. I'm going to bet that you will come back no matter what they do :p
  12. dreamweaver Community Manager

I will say in 2019 when WoW classic launched while anecdotally or personally you may have seen people or guildmates leave it wasn't anything outside our normal range for that timeframe during the year. So while we are aware of things like that, they don't effect as much as you might think.
  13. Lumiens Augur

Bookmarking this thread so I can look back on it when Dreamweaver is working at Blizzard.
    Heartland and Dailor like this.
  14. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Most of the people whose interest would be piqued by anything Blizzard is doing left for WoW when it launched. They didn't come back, they are still playing WoW or leaving and going back to it like we do with EQ. Over the years I have tried to get WoW players to come back to EQ, I have successfully converted zero of them. It blows my mind, but there is something that they like better there. I can't stand WoW's lore, classes, mechanics, graphics, or really anything about it. I can tolerate playing a Priest, and the 51-60 tier BG's were fun, but that's about the extent of it.

What EQ needs to do to compete with WoW is what it's always done... be the EQ we love. Fix bugs, do QoL, maybe someday modernize the client, and keep releasing TLP's of different varieties.
    Skuz and Xenorius9 like this.
  15. Arctodus Elder

Well a graphic engine upgrade is over due... Also, it is difficult to get friends and family to play EQ with such a steep learning curve. TLP's help with this issue but most of my friends and family leave because of lack of things to do from lack of knowledge.
  16. Moforyguy Elder

That's funny cuz me and all my friends that play EQ also play WOW. You get burnt out on one and go to the other. That is probably why it doesn't show that it was effected as much as you think. I jumped on WOW classic when it released and after 2 months was already asking "When is the next TLP?"
  17. Gnothappening Augur

I agree Dreamweaver, because the people that want WoW have already left. Those of us left love EQ for what it is, well, most of us do at least. There seem to be some who only want to change EQ into something it isn't.
  18. Gemstoner Elder

Also, Blizzard has made a mistake with their TBC implementation imo. They aren't going to be offering fresh TBC servers (at least so far) and are going to have level 58 boosts for the Classic TBC servers. The first killed my desire for Classic TBC since like most tlp players I loves me a fresh server start and the second just annoys me in general.

I don't think I'm alone in this, there will be less of a draw then there might have been had they offered fresh servers. They haven't quite figured out the whole progression server bit yet.