Necro state

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Darkoon, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Darkoon Journeyman

Hi everyone, just checking in to see if they ever finished the Necro dot revamp.
    Been a couple of years, and was wondering if I should log back onto my Necro.
  2. Vizier Augur

I play the other 3 casters (Enc, Wiz, Mag) and from my outside perspective Necros are in an excellent position DPS wise on raids.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  3. Ythera Augur

The revamp is almost done; just need the ignite mana, wounds, and corruption lines and it's done.
  4. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

and the rebalance nerf. Kinda forgot about that part.

Necros are ridiculous right now. The only reason raid forces aren't carrying 40+ necros are slots on mobs.
  5. sk8jack Journeyman

When played correctly you should be able to top the parse on burn fights (this is from the perspective of an 85 necro on TLP).
    minimind likes this.
  6. draxx101 New Member

7. Darkoon Journeyman

Thanks for the information.
    How about in groups or soloing?
  8. Black New Member

Soloing, necros are solid. A good group geared necro can get 185 to 200 AA in a 30 minute lesson burn. I'm not that good, but I can hit 150 AA in thirty minutes burning lesson if I don't screw up on snares and roots. Group is where there's a perception that necros don't hold their own. You're always going to be pushed for mana in fast killing groups and you'll have to adjust your play style. But you can still put out good DPS and ADPS if you hit assert for blood (to proc synergy on group, 30% bonus to critical dd and DoT damage), one or two dots (adjust to what suits your mana pool, but not swifts please), and call skeleton horde (using /pet swarm to send survivors to next mob). Do Mind Erosion if the mobs have mana to help yourself and the group with mana and hit bloom and blood magic when up. Also, try for caster based groups as opposed to melee based groups. I find I'm usually sitting near the top of the DPS in groups, but it's work. I'm sure there's other ways to do it, but that's what seems to work for me. The necro class is in a good place right now in my opinion. I wasn't thrilled with EOK through TBL.

I don't main a necro and I'm sure others can give better advice, but I have a lot of fun with my necro soloing and grouping. Haven't taken him on raids yet as that's my main's job.
    menown likes this.
  9. kookoo Augur

i play a shaman in raid and when we have 3 necros in raid, here and there i got dot's to not land due to the mobs ( boss ), debuff / dots limitation they can have on them.

so i just cast less dots and let them do their dps role.
  10. Tatanka Joe Schmo

So, I thought the DoT consolidation was supposed to reduce the debuff slots needed. Did it not work right for necros?
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

12. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Well, for one thing, the revamp isn't finished. Several lines, the Wounds line among them, have not been revamped. Second, necros are still going to cast spells as often as they can ... revamp or not (which is a good thing). Third, CoV has been less add intensive than ToV raids so there's a little more bunching up on the boss IMO.

The revamp was sort of suppose to help ... but there are a number of dots right now that necros are casting that they never considered before due to the large increase in damage to just about all lines. So while they aren't casting 3 of the same line any more, necros have a ton of spell lines that are viable now ... so the end result ... same amount of spells on a boss.

IMO, the revamp was more about quality of life than true boss buff slot elimination.

A raid mob buff slots are probably more being taken up by other classes casting lesser dots than actually being filled to the brim with necro dots. Each classes' coalition takes a spot. Druids and enchanters are dotting far more for damage ... along with beastlords, bards, rangers, bored SKs who are also hitting bosses every chance they get.

If you raid, do /inspectbuffs on your bosses every now and then during the fight and then go back and look at the output. You would be amazed at how many lesser things are taking up buff slots on them.
    Zynt, Skuz and Tatanka like this.
  13. Ythera Augur

I disagree with Cragzop that necros are casting the same number of dots. Due to the elimination of the aa that extended our dots by 3+ ticks (lingering death), it's purely impossible to cast the same number. Prior to the elimination of that aa, I was rotating through about 21-24 dot casts for single target duration boss fights. Sometimes I'd get bounced spells just from having one other necro in the raid and certainly would see it with two other necros who were playing to their fullest.

Now, I keep about 15-18 dots on the target: 3 wounds, 3 fire, 3 ignite mana, 1 curse, 2 poison, 2 disease, 2 corruption, 2 duration taps. With the completion of the revamp, that would eliminate: 2 wounds, 1 corruption, and 2 ignite mana. I would then have room to do some other things I'd like to do, like use the mindwrack line to feed myself/group mana and the call for blood line to nuke/empower the dots ticking.

A reduction of about 20-25% damage of all dots and a similar reduction in mana cost would leave us ahead in damage on long fights, which is where I feel the necromancer should shine, but not to the extent that we are, now.
    kizant, Zynt, Ibudin and 2 others like this.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Thank you both for the response
  15. JeffHanson Augur

LOL, they are never going to finish the necro dot revamp. It's been like 9 months since since they stopped working on it / forgot about it. Typical.
  16. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

If work on the revamp was ongoing it was put on hold for the expansion work, pretty standard operating.
    I'd expect to see a continuation of the revamp this year to finish off the untouched spell lines & a balancing a while after that once the data on the full set of changes is in.
  17. Ibudin Augur

100% here. I like the change, less swaping for sure and less dots on mobs over all...albeit slightly less.
  18. Beergoggles Elder

There's only 2 lines I'm still wanting them to finish, the various bane dots can be abandoned for all I care, but it would be nice if the wounds and ignite lines were finished soon. Wounds was the biggest culprit when it came to the number of debuff slots used so I was hoping it would be one of the first dots revamped but it appears it will be one of the last if it gets revamped at all. If necro dots are ever finished it would be nice if they fixed the bard dot debuff slot issue and made some tweaks to wizards.
  19. Majin-ryokoryu Journeyman

My biggest issue with the necro atm is the tank pet. Kinda made my necro because I could solo missions and build progression around the necro pet tanking things. The quest named as of late will one-shot your pet and forget about actual named fights. when I dinged 102 my playstyle literally died as I could no-longer solo gear upgrades for myself, nor could I box them. the pet just doesn't have the durability needed anymore. even with raid focus they are squishy at best. I expect in 5 or so years they will go in the other direction as this seems to happen once a decade where the devs decide pets shouldn't tank.
  20. Lyyr Lorekeeper

I did progression with a necro pet tank up to ToV and swapped to a real tank not because of squishiness but pathing. I also had a real healer for my pet not a trashy merc.
  21. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Necro boxed with an SK or other plate tank should do the trick. If the problem was lack of tankiness for the pet, and you boxed a non-tank char, then you did it wrong.