Soul of the Grandmaster for SK Shield Aug

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by ZenMaster, Jan 14, 2021.

1. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

Does the 'Soul of the Grandmaster's lifetap proc outweigh the stat gains of the 'Ry'Gorr Glass Gem' for SKs?
  2. Chaosflux Augur

Id imagine it does, it certainly does for a paladin IMO
    ZenMaster and Wulfhere like this.
  3. Sprezzatura New Member

Does the argument get closer , or do you get another answer with the new velium threaded gem of vigor or adroitness?
  4. Wulfhere Augur

Well the shield is mainly about uncapped AC. So how much is the difference of 15 or 20 real AC worth when your AC basis is e.g. 10,000 AC?

20 / 10000 is a entirely trivial 0.2% improvement.

Meanwhile with knight AA and luck stats that Soul of the Grandmaster averages over 8800 hp per proc and it fires often. Without this aug in your shield, you're loosing a trigger source for all that AA you spent.

Proc Effect: Vampiric Strike VII Proc Rate: +100
    1: Decrease Current HP by 360

For a paladin, it is the 3rd or 2nd best form of passive healing, depending on whether your primary weapon aug is a heal or not. Over the course of 1 hour, it can contribute 2.5M HP of healing. For me to stop using it, I would need a shield AC aug that mitigated that much damage, i.e. something like a 2000 AC shield augment might be enough.
    ZenMaster likes this.
  5. Szilent Augur

It's especially cool for knights cause it heals in the middle of combat rounds via Battlefield Vengeance (née Return Bash) AA
    ZenMaster likes this.
  6. Elvenphox Lorekeeper

This logic seems dubious to me. I'm not current on the tanking maths, but I don't believe AC scales linearly as this suggestion would imply. Rather, AC is relevant within a certain band which depends on the content you're tanking. For example (numbers made up), when tanking a CoV trash, the first 7k AC may not matter at all, then it benefits you between 7k-9k, and after 9k AC there is no further marginal benefit. Again, these numbers are just made up to demonstrate a possible tanking model, but one which I think is probably more realistic than just assuming a .2% improvement. In this model, the marginal benefit of shield AC would be much greater but would depend on the relevant "band" of mob DPS for that expansion. Somebody elaborate and tell me I'm wrong please.
  7. Chaosflux Augur

Bands alot wider, varies your AC compared to mob attack, mob strikethrough, etc, its also impossible to hit the magic number where all DI's are 1 while content is current. You can get well passed the "holy that one rounded me" threshold and into the "i am comfortably taking damage to alittle more comfortably taking damage so ill pull more range. It depends where mob attack is in the content.

However statically the healing of an aug can be more than the chance to lower a DI and therefore takes precedence over that amount of AC
  8. Petalonyx Augur

With the new CoV 70 AC ~1k hp, 30 Hdex/Agi that fits in shield, i finally removed my soul of the grandmaster aug. Before that, it seemed clearly superior.

I'm sure there are cases where grandmaster is still superior, but i have a ton of tiny heal procs on paladin, and would rather dampen peak dmg spikes, even by a rare and small amt.