Petrified Sharktooth Aug Droprate?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Rembdar, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Rembdar Apprentice

Has anyone seen this new CoV aug drop off Ol` Grinnin` Finley (shark namer) in Cobalt Scar? We've killed him maybe 15 times and have never seen the aug drop and are starting to wonder if something is wrong?
  2. Benito EQ player since 2001.

You are probably on a bad streak of RNG.

The augment is 'Carved Panther Fang' (HAgi). I get it about 1 in 7 kills.

Funny story, I've killed Morwenna (Seaglass Curio aug) about 20 times. I've received 5 augments, 6 lances, 8 cloaks, and 1 MNK/BST weapon. I found the lone MNK/BST drop to be very odd.
  3. Rembdar Apprentice

We've gotten that one, but EQ Resource says the Petrified Sharktooth (a type 7 AC aug) also drops off this namer (which would make sense since the namer is a shark).
    Benito likes this.
  4. Derka Power Ranger

It took me about 7 or 8 kills to get the tooth and I was beginning to lose hope also. Sounds like a bad streak and you could open a fishing shop with all those tackleboxes!
  5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I stand corrected. EQResource didn't show that aug last month. I am guessing these namers carry a very rare. Similar to that totally random MNK/BST weapon I got off of Morwenna (after 20 kills).
  6. Redrum_Redrum Augur

The drop rate feels random but I'll give you an idea. I farmed 18 type 5 teeth from him a5 expansion launch. In that time I got about 9 type 7 tooth augs. I calculated about 1 in 10 kills fir the type 5 and about 1 in 15 for the type 7. You will get some to drop within 2-3 kills then a long dry spell but overall it's an average drop of what I posted above.
  7. Elyssanda Bardbrain

one of our guildees has been farming Grinnin all day, and offering this in guild chat..
  8. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

This is the only tier 1 7/8 aug that didn't take me days and days to get.
  9. Dropfast Augur

It's the same problem with all the augs this round. The devs are stuffing to many items on one named now. For example, Miscreation the Timeless in WW has 3 different augs he can drop. So to start off you already have a fairly low "Rare / Named" spawn rate. Then even if you get it to spawn and kill it, then their is a terrible chance for any aug to drop at all. Then even if you get that far as to have 1 aug drop from that table, you still need the 1 of 3 you want to drop!

It's stupid, it's chance on chance on chance now. They started this horrible trend years ago but it's really showing it's ugly head this expansion. It's extremely irritating. I'm all about things not being easy and having to earn upgrades, but this is to far. With just a little bad RNG, you may have to kill a single named 30-40 times to get one aug you want. That IMO is just crap game design. Augs use to be like 1 out of 3 kills thing, or 1 out 5. Now it's 1 in 30 kills, 1 in 50 kinda crap. Super lame.
  10. Maedhros High King

If I never see Pastletliths room again it will be too soon.
    Except my wife and I have 9 toons that need the aug and we have yet to get even 1!
  11. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

It used to be that drop rates were slightly weighted by the number of classes that could use it, so the mnk/bst 1HB would be the rarest drop. Not sure if they still use this method though.
  12. Fooba Augur

I got this aug in about 40 minutes today. The namer spawned on the 1st round of repops and dropped the aug on the first kill.
  13. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

...and there's always that guy...
    Zamiam, Cadira and Grove like this.
  14. Edvvard New Member

reported for using term 'namer'
    Metanis, Flatchy, Accipiter and 4 others like this.
  15. blogget New Member

yeah, pure random drop, first time got the aug on the second kill, second time took over 10 kills, just the luck factor
  16. Svann2 The Magnificent

kk
  17. Malbro Augur

Got one last night and another one this morning before all the lag hit.
    Metanis likes this.
  18. Evurkvest Augur

Aug drop rate from nameds seems low compared to recent expansions. Type 5s and the augs that drop in missions are rotting. Ive spent a few weeks now getting an aug out of WW, not counting but probably 30ish kills with no luck. Seems to be a theme in the guild at least. Not hard, just tedious and boring. Not the part about EQ the i enjoy
  19. kramer2202 Elder

The drop rate on this aug really needs to be looked at and revised. I have now killed this named 45 times and not a single aug drop. Have had a few of the type 5 augs, but not a single type 7. This is beyond just bad luck
    menown likes this.
  20. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I am guessing the rarity of this augment is a conscious design decision to elongate expansion content. I think the term is "time-gating" or" time-sinks."

It wouldn't be the first time in EQ history, however. You could argue that Classic EQ is littered with examples of ridiculously rare drops (e.g. Raster Idol, Quillmane's Pegasus Feathered Cloak, Willsapper).

This drop could use a slight bump (10-20% increase at least).