Design a solo mission for each class

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Evye, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Evye Augur

How else are rangers supposed to get exp?
  2. Mazame Augur

No thank you.

Rather then putting time into 16 different missions that each toon can only do 1 of the 16. I would much rather have 16 missions that any class can do and adds more content to the game.
    Yinla and Zamiam like this.
  3. minimind The Village Idiot

Pseudo follow-up on my own post. I mentioned how well the Epic quests (and Epic Request/Retelling) for berserkers are great at instructing a berserker how to a be a good berserker. What I didn't mention is that the root lore of the berserker is fully carried through it all as well. An Epic Request actually ties it up in a neat little bow and has some really cool mechanics in the process.

With that in mind, I decided to do the Epic Request/Retelling for my shaman and I have to say that I'm even more grateful for the treatment that berserkers got in that quest. I plan to do the other Epic Retellings as well and I'll be surprised if any are better than the zerk one.
  4. KrakenReality Augur

Enchanters and Bards could just be a version of the Mearatas raid. It really makes use of wide range of abilities.
  5. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

6. CrazyLarth Augur

various aura of different color each class steps in to an Aura that Aura allows that class one ability to work. Various stages would happen to use different Class ability's over time some a few Ability/Auras might work later only a Single ability/Aura would win. kind of like group
    The Arena Master's Challenge

old https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=3403
  7. Vumad Cape Wearer

The issue with 1 mission for everyone is the tuning. Zerkers have huge DPS but limited ways to pull, ENC have tons of ways to pull but much less DPS.

My idea (posted earlier) was 1 mission with 16 different tunings. Tank missions hit harder. ENC missions mobs have lower HP. Mobs in the wizard version are snarable but not in the SK version. Classes that can pull well use less of the zone with tighter mob spacing and classes that don't pull well use a larger area with looser spacing. DPS class mobs have lots of HP but don't hit as hard as the tank version mobs.

HOWEVER, i have also suggested zone wide buffs before to simply make "easy" and "hard" version of raids. So instead of changing the mobs, they could change the zone wide buff. So ENC, DRU and SHM get a DPS buff, Zerkers and rangers get a HP buff.

2 ways to accomplish the same thing, the second might be less work, but the first would make for a better experience.
  8. Issk Journeyman

The quest would need text about the mage having an upset stomach and a need to relive themselves by disgorging rods in a predetermined pattern...
  9. Mazame Augur

I understand what you are asking for. It been done in other games. WoW has an testing mission that test your skills as a tank / healer / DPS. the reason for it is the better you do the higher your rank and when joining random groups with their LFG you know the person skill level because they had to be X rank to join X group.

Diablo 3 had class mission that put you in your own instance that required you to use your class to it max to be able to win.

So yes I know what your asking for and I would prefer to not see it. EQ did try it to a point with the "epic retelling quests" But they became more of a checklist thing and were not very enjoyable.

EQ had been a game about taking different classes and grouping up. what makes EQ great is not the graphics or the quest but more so the people and the interaction you have with others. Raids bring a number of people together and events like mearatas brought the servers together in a number of ways. Group missions do the same on a smaller scale. To me this is what great about a MMO.

If i wanted to solo I would play other games. The last thing I want is them to spend time on content that you can only see with one toon and causes people to go play by them self. I would much rather that same time be spent on add more group missions or Raid events.
  10. Vizier Augur

I know this is about creating a new mission but, Fight Fire is alreaddy a great solo enc mission. You got huge piles of mobs to split / mez / whatever but there are certain ways to breaks it solo each time if you know all your skills.
  11. Vumad Cape Wearer

I was thinking of it as a replacement for the franklin teak dailies. A once a day thing a person could do for XP while looking for a group. Not a substitute for grouping. Especially valuable as content ages and new/returning players have a hard time LFG due to level gaps and AEs being in most areas now that kill them.
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Wizzy epic retelling is best, we get to burn the new Freeport.
    Jumbur likes this.
  13. Vadakar New Member

Not sure if its been asked, I tried looking before posting.

Why are the "An Epic Retelling" special ornaments Lore?

As a dual wielding class, we can equip 2 Epic ornaments, and claim many more for bagged weapons if we choose. Seems like we should be able to get more than 1 of the special ornaments also. Especially since we have to do the quest 3 times, with extra work the 3rd time.

I like to dual wield identical weapon looks, and really like the look of the rogues "Night", but was dismayed to find it was Lore when I claimed my reward.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

For Druids: nothing summons

That is all.

(Can you tell I HATE summoning mobs?)
  15. Petalonyx Augur

Diablo 3 did something like this in set dungeons. It was radically unpopular and sucked up a TON of dev time. One of the main issues was that folks play characters in very different ways, and thus the missions were impossible for some. Some abilities caused auto fail. Other abilities were auto fail if not included. Sure the devs made a lot of mistakes, and many bugs were there, but I think that a similar project in EQ would eat up even more time than new epic quests (which are probably more popular requests).
  16. Jaylnn Gnomish Bog Jogger

Some of you just suck the life right out of the room. You must be a super joy to spend any time with.

I don’t think that Evye was actually suggesting we come up with a list and implement it. It’s more of a fun game of “if it were a thing, what would be the mission be like”

Sometimes it’s fun just to take it as it is and just play along.
  17. Darchon_Xegony Augur

I always thought it would be cool to have a variety of solo challenges in the arena for each class. Each challenge could reward you on a scale with several checkpoints/achievements aimed at different skill/gear levels. Bazaar geared / Group Geared / Top End Grouper / Raider / Elite Raider. Achieving the same tier achievement for each of the challenges unlocks a class specific reward.

For druid:

Solo Tank - You spawn in the center of the arena with with a friendly NPC tank who will get an aggro lock on an aggressive evil NPC that spawns when the event is triggered. The evil NPC is immune to taking any damage (IE you can’t kill it). You have to do everything you can to keep the tank alive. The evil NPC will power up as he stays alive longer. Bazaar tier could be keep the tank alive for 1 minute, group geared could be 2 minutes, top tier group 3 minutes, Raider 4 minutes and elites Raider 5 minutes.

Multi-Tank - similar idea but the evil NPC stays constant strength with now power ups. However every minute an additional tank and evil NPC spawns. Your goal is to keep all the friendly tanks alive as long as possible. In the end it could be keeping 5 tanks healed against group quality mobs for a minute to reach the top achievement.

Solo Tank Kill - Similar to the first challenge you spawn in the center of the arena with a friendly and evil NPC. This task is designed around the idea that you as a Druid have to balance healing the tank and DPSing down the evil NPC. The faster you kill the NPC the higher achievement you get.

Full Burn - You spawn in the center of the area opposite an evil NPC. You have no healing responsibilities and the NPC does minimal if any DPS output. The faster you burn the NPC dead the higher the achievement you get.

Pulling - You spawn in the tunnel of the arena and in the center of the arena is an NPC you must pull and kill that doesn’t summon. However throughout the arena are a bunch of mobs with varying immunities to pacify/snare/root/see invis and your goal here is to isolate the mob in the center of the arena from the other mobs as quickly as possible and kill it. The faster you do it the higher the achievement you get.

Charming - You spawn in the center of the arena and a bunch of animals charge you, your goal is to utilize charm to defeat all the animals as quickly as possible.

Something like this where each class is given 3-5~ challenges to test their skills against Specific scenarios.

Warrior may be tank a single mob that powers up, testing your ability to cycle disks effectively with a single NPC healing you (reverse of the priest one, this could be one for all tanks). They may also have a multi-tank one where they have to keep aggro of multiple mobs off multiple healers and cycle disks to stay alive. A full burn one (every class should have one of these).

Even for the most one dimensional classes you could come up with 3-5~ challenges for them to test their abilities/gear against. Would also be a cool place to revive the LDoN leaderboard so people can E-Flex their nerd muscles on each other.

Also maybe one that flips roles and makes a Druid need to use abilities to tank a mob holding aggro / self healing / mitigating damage or a warrior needing to bind wound NPCs or do high DPS with low aggro.
  18. bortage spammin lifetaps

SK mission is just 45 minutes of spamming lifetaps
  19. Kolani Augur

Don't forget refreshing Stance and spamming repel.