My OCD

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Kase, Jan 23, 2021.

1. Kase Augur

I grew up on EQ saying along with everyone else at the time I played with, "Named" not "namer" for rares. Am I forgetting something, losing my memory, or something change I was not aware of. OK, dumb post but I just had to get it out.
    Thunderkiks, Elyssanda and Duder like this.
  2. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Wait til you get to "Would of"

#sayin'
    Tatanka likes this.
  3. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

It's NameD, you're not losing it.

But you may have CDO. It's similar to OCD, but in alphabetical order, like it's supposed to be!
    minimind, Metanis, Nolrog and 6 others like this.
  4. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Oh and if you're going all rententive on usage.

It's not an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder unless you've been given a diagnosis by a professional and also exhibit signs of life disruptive behavioral response.

Else is mere compulsion.

#alsosayin'
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  5. Rolaque Ancient

There really isn't a good way of saying the plural "nameds" in actual speech. It's cumbersome, and doesn't come out easily. However, "namer" and it's plural "namers" is so much easier to say and to understand. But it is interesting how "named" hunting became we're camping some namers in EW.
    Kase likes this.
  6. Kase Augur

Named is both plural and singular I think. "It's a named. --- They all named. "
    Nennius, Duder and Tegila like this.
  7. Duder Augur

I reject your justification of the use of a dumb term =P
    Rolaque, Raccoo, Barraind and 2 others like this.
  8. birdsong_pawn Augur

It's The Name, so that's what you call it. You know, that or, uh, His Nameness, or uh, Namer, or El Namerino if you're not into the whole brevity thing.
    Duder likes this.
  9. Leigo You come here often?

They're obviously not a golfer
    Duder likes this.
  10. Act of Valor The Newest Member

It was always named ever since 1999. Although in the past decade or so namer has gained popularity. I don't particularly care, though.
    Kase likes this.
  11. Nennius Curmudgeon

I had always thought that the term "namer" was more of a UK thing. Can't for the life of me remember why I have thought that though. It seems to me that it's similar to "plink" versus "ding" when leveling. I use "named" and "ding" myself.
    Metanis and Kase like this.
  12. Verily Tjark Augur

Troll calling something else dumb... I will leave that one alone.

However, for a guy whose name ends in "-er" I really thought you would be more accepting of the term namer. Maybe we should call them namerx?
    Vumad and Duder like this.
  13. Act of Valor The Newest Member

What strange, alien, grotesque universe do you live in when someone calls leveling up "plink"?
    Metanis and Cadman like this.
  14. Cadman Elder

I'm in the UK and on AB, never have I heard anyone say plink! defo not a UK thing
  15. Nennius Curmudgeon

Used to be a guy in my guild who did and there's a guy on BB that does too. Still sounds strange to me.
  16. Elyssanda Bardbrain

It's a noun (person place or thing) not a verb! This is a peeve of mine also.
    It has been given a name, ergo it is NAMED. It is not going around bestowing names on the other mobs in the zone, so it is not a namer of things.

and it used to be dings for leveling, and pings for aa. (but who plays with sound anymore?)
    Although Zedge used to have the Ding gong sound for phones.. I used it for when I got messages, until I joined a very ACTIVE group chat with 14 guildees..
    Metanis, Kase, MasterMagnus and 2 others like this.
  17. Verily Tjark Augur

This is pretty solid Mitch Hedberg philosophy here. According to the kitchen appliance naming institute, you just say what the thing does and add -er onto the end of the word. A named mob does not name other mobs; therefore, it should not be called a namer.
    Duder, Elyssanda and Kase like this.
  18. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

It's named. The normal mobs have no name "a gnoll pup", "an orc centurion", "a kodiak". The rare NPCs were NAMED by devs giving them significance "Fippy Darkpaw", "Emperor Crush", "Mammoth".

They are named NPCs. Next you are gonna go around calling characters toons or something disgusting.
    Duder, Elyssanda, Kase and 1 other person like this.
  19. Act of Valor The Newest Member

I've given up on this crusade. It makes no sense.
    Elyssanda and MasterMagnus like this.
  20. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

If you call your character a toon, your 'toon' has no character.
    Kase and Elyssanda like this.