I want my name back

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Eknhomaht, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Endorek Lorekeeper

could you make a test toon on a different server to see if the name goes through, delete that toon, transfer to that server, change your name as desired, transfer back, and keep the name by virtue of the "played more recently" logic chain?
  2. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

3. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

haha i replied and when i was typing it went into the guys reply but yea silly for a level 14 to be whining about having his name taken.

Andarriel
    Thunderkiks likes this.
  4. Elyssanda Bardbrain

They could come back tomorrow, then you would be the jerk for stealing his name.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Nennius like this.
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

Heresy!! How dare you suggest there are two sides to this argument.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I liked how the OP called the guy on the server that had the name there before him is somehow the Jerk, and the irony of "that fool" versus a level 14?

Yeah I think I know who the real jerk & the real fool are & it's not the guy who was there already, but it could as easily be fake news, it's all the rage these days I hear.
  7. Flatchy Court Jester

If its some computer generated name its nothing special anyhoo. I have 4 accounts worth of toons and have never let the game pick a name for me.
  8. Eknhomaht Journeyman

I made my character on Day 1 of Kunark. I know my character predates any other, because I tested all servers when I took it.

HE stole MY name.

I predate him, and he hasn't come back.

End of story, it's mine, I want it back.
  9. Eknhomaht Journeyman

Hey Genius.

I'm the one who had the name first, DAY 1 Kunark.

I even reserved the name on other servers. Ditched the other characters when I decided to keep it on Quelious.

I know for a fact my character file predates any of his character files.
  10. Eknhomaht Journeyman

It won't. Daybreak only retired names / screwed players when the servers would merge. I would literally need to time it for a server merge and make sure my character is higher level. Apparently they do NOT respect the age of the character file.

Daybreak told me the reason they stole my name for this other guy was because the other guy was higher level, even though my character file predated the other guy's character.
  11. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I made mine first doesn't cut it, he made his first on THAT server, so your character is an interloper whether you chose to be an interloper or not. Whoever was first on the target server gets priority and that is 100% fair.

How would you feel if you were a level 115 player & another server merged into yours and some guy who made their level 1 bazaar mule before your character was born took your name - that's pretty much what you are asking for and it is completely irrational & unreasonable.

Nobody screwed you, you are being overly emotional.
  12. smash Augur

Actually you have no idea on when that char was created, nor do you know when the char was on last time, so basically you coming with claims you have no way to prove true.

Do I feel sorry for you, no.
  13. Scornfire The Nimbus Prince

The only person with any genuine claim to that name as an IP is J.R.R Tolkien, next thread plz
    Maedhros and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Cool story, Genius.
  15. IblisTheMage Augur

I lost my name as well on a server merge, unfortunately.

While I think the OP is either joking or having a somewhat ...strong...? reaction to the issue, loosing the name I grew up with is a returning micro-griveance :-D.

In a perfect world I could get my original name back, it does not look like the guy who got it has been on for many years from my checks from time to time, but there are quite a few issues higher on my list :-D.

Font control on the entire UI (cant read the buttons clearly any more, screens getting larger and eyes getting older), and core upgrades like 32 bit —> 64 bit are kilometers higher on my wish list.

EQ does not guarantee name persistency, embracing it is the only way to go...
  16. Nivek Journeyman

I knew the Glaurung on Povar years ago and he has been on Povar since the very beginning, why would a lvl 14 thinks he has the right to have to take another name, it should be first come first serve. He was Glaurung an eternity before you were.
  17. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

LOL.
  18. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

You are making the mistake of trying to use logic with him. For him to make the argument in the first place shows that tact won't work.
    Skuz likes this.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Always worth a shot.
  20. Stageguy Lorekeeper

Just be glad you even got your character back. A toon that old, only level 14 could have easily been lost in the merger. During the 2020 merger I "aquired" a level 50 Iksar Necro for free that I am sure someone is now missing. Logged in the day after and there it was on my main account. It is certainly not a character that I deleted in the past (my necro is 107ish) and I do not recognize the name.

Checked that bank tho hoping he was rich! And sadly he was not.

During one of the early mergers all of my toons were on Zebuxoruk server. After the merger they were split up and spread out on Tunare and one other server, I forget which one, but they are still there. Still had all of my characters, names remained the same, but they were no longer on the same server. Had to restart a few characters on Tunare to replace the ones that were transfered to the wrong server.