is Everquest 3 news coming soon.....

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by chrisapete, Jul 19, 2020.

1. svann Augur

Overseer Arena: Battle Royale!
  2. Kobra Augur

When it comes to an EQ 3 no news is good news in my opinion.

I have zero interest in seeing another EQ game that will just cannabilize from the existing and far superior EQ we already have.
  3. Angahran Augur

I meant 'developers' as the company developing the game, SoE, Daybreak, etc not the code developers.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Skuz like this.
  4. Shoryuureppa Journeyman

that is, unless they make EQ3 actually good, don't get me wrong I've been playing EQ for a long time, on and off and think EQ is better than EQ2, I still think its time to "get with the times", I would love to see a new EQ game that focuses more on what made EQ great, I have a grown attachment to character, but I feel like it's time to put it up on the mantle.

hell, I am sick and tired of the same old progression server recycling, or new expansions that are held hostage by the old code, even if they won't EQ3 game with new ideas and such, I would rather they take the time, money and resource and just do "EQ remake", how about that for the ultimate "progression" server, they can remake all the classic zones everyone will start in, then they can just release expacs in order just as you would want from a prog server. remade ruins of kunark, remade scars of velious .. etc etc
  5. Kurage_of_Luclin Augur

The problem is there isn't ever going to be a game that starts with as much content as EQ has now at its release.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  6. Celephane Augur

Still waiting...please improve your GoogleFu or something
  7. Sobmre Augur

Eq3 will most likely not happen unless darkpaw is sold off.

C. nova or what ever shell owns darkpaw doesn't seem to care about spending cash only taking it.
  8. feeltheburn Augur

sober much?
  9. svann Augur

Id like to see a new mmorpg along the lines of EQ even if it isnt Norrath. Many classes (including bard) with different styles of play. Mixture of group and solo and raid. The fact that it wont release with as many zones as current EQ doesnt bother me a bit just so long as the content is enough to last until the expansion.

Im not hoping this would come from DPG, but if they presented Id try it for sure.
  10. Froglok Augur

I have always been of the opinion that EQ1 should simply be revamped / updated over time (and they have been doing this), rather than write a whole new game from scratch. After all, this game is so huge and been around so long, having to start over from scratch has ZERO appeal to me.
  11. Koggar.Bertoxxulous Elder

Now that they were sold off, has your opinion changed any? I'd love to see EQ3 in the vein of EQ1 but not as punitive as the original and with at least a few of the modern conveniences. Would appreciate updated lore and different raids too so that I don't feel like I'm just literally playing a reskinned EQ1
  12. Windance Augur

I think a new "EQ" would be a mistake. It would have the same issue as EQ1 vs EQ2 has now.

It would further dilute the same base population.

What we haven't seen is any advertising dollars thrown out to bring new people in.
  13. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Still waiting for these facts, with citations, and articles bro.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  14. Iven Antonius Bayle

The game has become that big that a revamp is impossible. It is also not wanted by most of the players and the game structure is just outdated for doing this in a good way. As example 3D graphic cards are pretty much useless in EQ as about everything does get calculated by the CPU which was a big infrastructural flaw right from the start. So a good revamp is only possible in a complete remake.

A remake could just start with the revamped original version. Maybe divided into multiple parts as there are 74 zones ! After a year or more the revamped Ruins of Kunark could be releases as an expansion and so on. Basically old content just has to be copied and will get a new dress. If the remake is more appealing that the classic version alot players will move. The classic version does not have to be closed for this. Its also the only way to attract alot more new players as classic EQ is only still here because of the lack in good alternatives but the community is getting old and without a remake the game will be pretty dead in a few decades. EQ2 was a good idea but at the wrong time and with a bad concept. It has only been made to counteract WoW in a decision of fear.

I am pretty sure that EQ3 is already in development since many years. Modern premium MMO games do require 5-10 years of development time and 500 Mio US-$ seems not to be enough today. Its more like 1 Billion $ and even more. Something that only big investors could finance.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

EQ was a game that absolutely required a 3d add in card, it was one of the "big gambles" the game took during development alongside the decision to be a subscription service.

While PC hardware has advanced considerably since, many motherboards carry onboard graphics & commonly CPUs now also sport built in graphics hardware to say that EQ is structured to not use 3d graphics card hardware is just flat out wrong.

First port of call is getting the client to a 64 bit state, and overhauling the game's UI - as far as what you say about rebuilding zones - if they intended to have a new Graphics engine there is little to no point doing the zone revamps until a new engine is in place & that affects the whole game not just a handful of zones.
    Some enthusiasts have shown that it is somewhat possible to transplant EQ assets into Unreal engine but also they show the difficulties involved in doing that, part of the problem being the proprietary way the data was stored, aka non-industry standard which makes it hard to take what EQ has as assets & plug them into another "off the shelf" engine, one of the reasons it is thought to be cheaper to not do that & to just build a new game.
    Could it be done, yes, but it will not be an easy task, they'd be better off working on a way to convert old eq assets to a new standard quickly & cheaply before trying to get the game into a new engine.
    Revamping the old assets using the current engine could be done perhaps but that seems to me to be a waste of time if the need for a new engine outweighs the benefits of revamps.

EQ2 was made by a company with an outdated mindset, using an outdated business model, they took the money EQ was making to create (several) new games, most of which died prior to even getting out of development (Remember "The Agency" ?) - something "normal" software developers do as a standard operating procedure rather than that they should have re-invested in EQ as the main service, something WoW probably did a better job of doing seeing as they never made any successor MMO.

I doubt it has started developing any concept art even, it's all purely hypothetical at this stage, the team at DarkPaw is not big enough to begin development on any new game, it's barely big enough to pump out expansions that are half the size of the early era expansions, when Kunark was still bigger than EoK & RoS combined, albeit the quest structures are wildly different animals.

EQ3 if it ever happens is only going to have the cashflow pipeline needed after EQ/EQ2 are ramped up and build bigger customer bases or they take on a studio that has a hit game which has enough income they can channel the money from another game into EQ3 development & all the hires needed for that, I don't think an EQ3 is a likely prospect right now at all.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  16. jeskola pheerie

Blizzard was smart enough to cancel the Titan MMO and turn it into the highly successful Overwatch. When has DBG ever pulled off anything like that? They wasted all the EQ cash on Landmark and H1Z1.
    Skuz likes this.
  17. Bobokin Augur

What difference does it make? Almost nothing about Everquest is fresh. Everquest has basically been on the same treadmill for a decade. Same time for minor expansions, same time for sales, same stuff in the cash shop, nothing new in housing. The only thing different is the price which keeps going up and up.

With all of the wrong decisions being made for EQ, would we even trust EQ3 to be any good?
    blurpppa likes this.
  18. Numiko Augur

Everquest 1 remastered would be cool, along the lines of what NCsoft is doing to Lineage II

19. Gherig Addicted since Aug 1st, 1998

EQ is 22 years old, you can throw 100 people at it and you would still get a 22 year old game. The engine foundation was started in 1996, 25 years ago. 25 years ago the best modem you could get was a 33.6kbps if you had a BIG bag of money for it, and 800x600 resolution was revolutionary technology.

You cant keep slapping a patch only a patch onto patch which was put on top of about 1000 other patches and expect greatness to happen. There is probably more orphan code in EQ then some browser games have in total today.

The company has done a miracle masters job keeping this game viable long, LONG past its expiration date. But you cant go into the way back time machine and make a game anyone outside our tiny fandom universe is willing to play today 22 years later that would justify any notable expense in time and money.

The only way forward with the EQ franchise is making a modern generation EQ, with all the bells and whistles the millennial's like [dear god help us] so it can take hold and advance the franchise. The old sayings are the best ... "Evolve, or Die"
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  20. Svann2 The Magnificent

Why are you here if you hate it so much?