Paladin Shield - Type 3 Aug Slot

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Stephen51, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Stephen51 Augur

I was curious what Paladins are putting in their slot 3 in their shields? I cant make my mind up what I want to put in there as I wont always have the benefit of it.

Other Tank classes feel free to comment on yours, but only if its Paladin usable please.
  2. Wulfhere Augur

Enchanted Stone of Burning Rage for +5 regen and +4 hStr (as a poor joke to shield AC contribution)
    Rondor and Szilent like this.
  3. KarmaKitty Augur

That is where my pally stores his bubble gum between chews :mad:
  4. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

I still use the 35 ac aug.

Its possible all the heroics on a type 5 aug might outweigh it now, but I doubt it.
    Dibab likes this.
  5. Vaeeldar Augur

It’s an interesting point. It’s probably close enough now that you don’t have to go farm that aug now.
  6. Wulfhere Augur

It's not close yet. It would take a 510 hStr augment to contribute 35 shield AC in the type 5 slot.

The new Velium Threaded Intensity augment has merely 90 hStr.
    Szilent likes this.
  7. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

The dex and agi, for non-raiders is what I was talking about.
  8. Maedhros High King

When I have bothered to care about type 3 augs for the shield I've prioritized something tanking related like Grief type 3. Obviously one of the smaller +bash is a good idea too. You wouldn't want to put the type 3 for doctrine in your shield because you're gonna be 2hands no mercy while dps mode. This level increase was stupid and had no doctrine even though it was a freakin undead expansion! PS, where the hell did all the +bash on items go?!
    Stephen51 likes this.
  9. Szilent Augur

?

58786 Doctrine of Abolishment Rk. III 111 1982 0.5s 6.5s 0s Magic -100 Single 1: Decrease Current HP by 19581
  10. Maedhros High King

I guess I should have been more clear. There is no type 3 for Doctrine.
    Szilent likes this.
  11. Wulfhere Augur

Well, taking this Type 5 slot topic aside, that assertion hasn't really improved since EoK and its Nathsar Diamond (+80 heroics).

If you use the typical weighting that (1 HDex or HAgi = 4 AC = 40 HP) over at raidloot.com, then the 35 AC aug doesn't even make it into the top 150. It's even behind the 18 AC 200 HP BiC aug. We have to bias AC a great deal more, because it's the shield slot, to justify using the 35 AC aug at all. Any heroic aug from TBM blows it away with this calculation.

I think that testing would be in order and I would parse tanking performance of Nathsar Diamond vs Frosty Gem of Enhanced Protection as a baseline. Our strong AC bias could be completely unfounded in this longstanding choice.
    Tsavo likes this.
  12. josh Augur

35 shield ac is about 90 regular item ac. but also, you would want to look at your worst heroic aug, not your best, because that's what you would be adding.

For groups, I would say the 35 ac isn't better. For raids, I'm personally using a type 5, but it's certainly closer in that context.
  13. Jokskilove Palzerker

Sorry for reviving an old thread. Putting Nathsar Diamond in your shield would be stupid. Unless they serve a specific purpose (e.g. shield AC aug), you should put your best items in the slots you always wear. Your worst type 5 augs should go in the items you swap out - same goes for Tears of Alaris or Stone of Judgment. God kills a kitten and baby Jesus weeps every time someone puts these items in their type 3 slot in the shield.
  14. Wulfhere Augur

Yes it would be ... and the purpose of my statement is for ... testing only.

I suggested the two BEST options as the basis for gathering data towards that choice. If the diamond does NOT perform better than 35 AC, well the case is closed. Sure one can test the other edge case by using their worst Type 5.

Either way, without testing it, we don't really know the answer to that question.
    Jokskilove likes this.
  15. Jokskilove Palzerker

That is a really good point :)