Do procs & luck cause lag?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Evye, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Syylke_EMarr Augur

It's set to a really big range. Like, REALLY big.
    Warpeace and Skuz like this.
  2. dwish Augur

People have been blaming pets for over a decade. I always found it funny on raids the instant something goes wrong or a strategy doesn't work it never fails pets will be partly blamed in some shape or form. If you play a pet class on raids it's definitely something you have to get used to.
    Fenthen likes this.
  3. Triconix Augur

To an extent, lag will be caused by procs and pets. However, the lag people have been experiencing is almost assuredly not caused from those two things. I personally am getting sporatic spikes of lag at all times of the day in multiple zones while having no procs/pets doing anything, causing my character to yo-yo in zones. There's some server-side communication issues going on that they aren't telling us.
    Warpeace likes this.
  4. Fenthen aka Rath

No.

Pets may cause visual lag, they are not the cause of the terrible EverQuest servers / network connectivity / processing bandwidth / database slowdowns that we've been seeing more and more of. Pets are not the cause for us taking 5 minutes to zone when it hits evening time. Every raid is slowed to a crawl with many mechanics failing to work, because raids take place in the evening (generally around 5pm Pacific time). That's when more folks log on, and the servers can't take all of that going on.

It's not pets.
    Svann2 likes this.
  5. Triconix Augur

Did you even read what I said or just the first sentence?

Uhhhhh seems like I've already stated the lag being experienced is not pet lag. However, the terrible lag on raids isn't helped by pets and procs. It's only exasperating the issue.
  6. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Yes.

All NPCs cause some lag when they move because the zone has to calculate their pathing.

Ever swarm 200 mobs and see an empty (of players) zone brought to it's knees? I have.

Why would you think 54 people all summoning 4+ swarm pets wouldn't cause exactly the same problem? It does.

Now, that's an extreme example, not all 54 players on a raid cast 4+ swarm pets, but even 50 pets is going to add a significant amount of lag depending on if the target is stationary or moving. Add to this the pathing of all event adds and/or zone trash that are up.

Spells are the same. Every spell has to check a massive number of things. Every Proc is another spell.
    Every Twinproc is another spell. Every Twincast is another spell AND another proc/twinproc chance.
    Every AE is at least partially (idk how much they cache) another spell for every target it hits.

Melee itself is likely less bad than spells, but with the number of procs they have, it can be almost as bad as a caster.

There is a reason why however bad lag is in a raid, it gets exponentially worse when everyone hits burns

Zone lag (what you get on raids) is predominantly caused by pets and spells (mostly procs and AEs).

Lagging while you zone I believe should be a combination of the zone lag and server lag. It is directly affected by how large your character is. (More tradeskills recipies learned, more achievements, more items etc. = bigger character). It is also affected by people logging into the server, which yes, during prime raid time is much larger than in the middle of the afternoon.
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

While familiars are probably not the biggest performance-hog/cause of lag, It would be an interesting experiment to remove them from the server and handle them strictly on the client side. Of course that would mean you can never see other player's familiar's correct position(your client just make a "guess"), only your own, but the change would have zero impact on gameplay. Handle it as a graphical effect like hero's forge...

I would like a /hidemodels familiar toggle btw...:)

I believe this was the motivation for dragons hoard, Items in the hoard, does not affect character size, unless you are standing at the bank and have your hoard open. At least not in relation to server-load.
    But its not that important for DBG, otherwise they would have given us more slots for free, they hope to sell us a server-optimization...on the marketplace...

"Do YOU want a faster zoning time, you can have that for the impressive cost of 10000 dbc",
    "Impress your friends by giving them less lag, buy dragon hoard slots! only 10000 dbc" you get the idea...:rolleyes: