Account to Account Character Transfer

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Belkar_OotS, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Thoxsel Djess' Pet Warrior

I would do 4 transfers.
  2. Act of Valor The Newest Member

This needs to happen, Darkpaw. I know you changed something with the way characters are stored on servers that makes character transfers more difficult, but this service needs to be restored. It will be extremely convenient to players and a great source of income for you. Increase the original price if you need to. I think most of us would be okay with that.
    Fenthen likes this.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Not going to happen. Doesn't matter if they hire new, old or experts or if untold numbers of players want to transfer.

JChen said in an interview that they would not bring this back.
    Fenthen likes this.
  4. Tucoh Augur

Money being left on the table.
    Fenthen likes this.
  5. dreadlord Augur

I have a friend desperate to transfer a toon. He'd pay $500 I would think. I know a few others who are very keen and would say they'd pay circa $100. I'd like to shuffle some toons onto new accounts. I woudn't pay a lot to do it, but then I would be paying for 8 accounts every year instead of 4, so that would double account income.

It's been said before, this is something people really want and would pay for itself in terms of dev time etc

We did a thread a year or two ago suggesting they tried some form of crowdfunding on this to test who'd actually pay. That, over there, is the tumbleweed of response...
  6. KrakenReality Augur

They really need to bring this feature back. Characters nowadays have so many progression paths and years of emotional attachment that it’s hard to just start over. The thought of redoing all the years of achievements just wears me out.
  7. Dhurgan Augur

At $30 per transfer, if they did 3,000 transfers, it would still be less than 1% of their annual revenue of 11.5m. They would probably need 1,000 - 1,500 transfers to even break even on the soft costs of developer time, testing, and customer service time. Releasing a new heritage crate probably adds more to the bottom line than fixing account to account transfers and the risk of a new heritage crate is super low.

Edit: that 11.5m was from January to September according to the article, so the percentage would be even less.
  8. KrakenReality Augur

It was $50 back in the day. Also, they required current subscription and matching expansions between accounts. There’s another $50+ on top of the original $50. EQ players haven’t shown any ability to be rational about their spending. If, they did 3,000 transfers at a $100 all in minimum that’s $3million in revenue.
  9. Dhurgan Augur

That's $300,000.
    Jennre and KrakenReality like this.
  10. KrakenReality Augur

Fudge, you right.
  11. Belkar_OotS Augur

Well I still want account to account transfers. I am still willing to pay more than a reasonable person should since I am highly attached to my characters.

If there were a method to make this a reality I would probably throw money at it.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  12. Endorek Lorekeeper

I'd do two for sure
  13. Gruffish Elder

Probably two right now and very likely more in the future.

I’d like it to be less than $50 but $50 would not kill the deal.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  14. Darkerknight Lorekeeper

I'd legit pay $100 per toon to be able to do this. My dad has a Paladin he made in June 1999 we want to add to our group, but cannot sacrafice our Enchanter (who was made in January 2000) because of his progression and Level/AA/Tradeskills

I'd also be interested in Transferring at least one other toon. I get that they took this away and there is no "hope" of it being brought back, but I'd think for $100 per toon, even if it is a manual process, it could still be financially viable.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  15. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

What sucks is I already paid for the transfers and now I can't; I bought character transfer tokens back when that was the way to pay for it, and it got cancelled before I could use them. SoE/DBG stole my money.
    Ravanta Suffer and Fenthen like this.
  16. Flatchy Court Jester

Now you know why gift certificates are so popular at businesses. They count on people not using them or letting them lapse. Free money for no inventory! Just curious how long between you buying them and them not doing it any more, was it?
  17. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

The character transfer token you bought will still transfer your character to another server. Just not your account.

The account to account transfer was never supposed to use the "character" transfer tokens. You were supposed to have the $25 on DBC ready to use. They strongly advised not to use the tokens as they wanted the DBC instead. So even if you had been able to use it for that purpose it would have been delayed anyway.

As they did not "cancel" it all at once but it kinda peter'd out over the months from Feb 2017 to finally none at all by August 2017.
  18. Mesil Lorekeeper

3 accounts would be 6 accounts... why do they disregard that kind of money people would pay - and then not having enough dev to get us a decent sized expansion o_O
    Fenthen and tanith like this.
  19. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

This only considers the revenue from the transfer transaction. I'm sure they can group users by payment methods/IP/etc and glean information about users with multiple accounts.

Exactly. The account is like the console (which is often sold at a loss early on), it's the gateway to your wallet for a subscription, expansion, account specific unlocks, etc. Making an account more valuable to a user by moving a character to it they value is likely to stimulate more micro transactions from that same user as well, if they (DP) think through their offerings.
  20. ExecutionDbl9 Druid / Shadow Knight / Necromancer

I know it's an older thread, but I stumbled upon it in my search for account-to-account transfers. I would definitely love to have an account transfer, as I gave my old account to my mom, but would love to have my original characters back on my own account so I can give them a spin. I would probably do 2 transfers if they were available.