Proposed changes for Ranger class

Discussion in 'Hybrid' started by Kurage_of_Luclin, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Kurage_of_Luclin Augur

Seperate the Arbor Stalker's Discipline and Pureshot shared timmers.
    Allow Shadowspike Arrow to be used with Endless Quiver AA.
    Allow Arborstalker's Enrichment to be mass buffed.
    Ranger Epic 2.0 Click buff to affect entire group , not just self only.
    Ranger BP click affects group
    Ranger gets self only exodus.
    Reduce mana costs of ranger dps spells,
    or an aa that converts stamina to mana above 10 % stamina.
    One more defensive aa option.
    Convergence of spirits lands on the caster or
    targets target if cast on NPC.
  2. roth Augur

1 : Splitting the timers has been asked for a very long time, basically since Warder’s Wrath was first put on the bow timer.
    2 : Ngreth (?) did some testing a long time ago and “found” that the arrow did not do much to improve archery damage. I personally believe that the testing was flawed due to damage caps that have long since been raised; 1 damage on the bow is just as important as 1 damage on an aug and just as important as 1 damage on the arrow. It really does not matter where the damage is coming from, all affect the damage of the archery hit equally. This can partly be seen by comparing damage output using different aug and arrow such that the total of bow+aug+arrow damage remains the same, the damage amounts per hit remain the same.
    3 : Also been asked for ever since the first spell in the line. Eventually, maybe. We hope.
    4 : Honestly, I could not care less about this.
    5 : One of the lag problems is the ballooning of procs everyone has, you want to add more procs per character?
    6 : No thanks.
    7 : This is one of the issues that lies at the heart of the Ranger class’ problems. We are the only class that goes through mana like crazy without some means of self-restoring it.
    8 : Converting some of our nukes to use Endurance instead of Mana, or giving us some means of converting Endurance to Mana, would go a fair way at resolving the mana issue. I’d love to see both; convert part of the Dichotomic line’s Mana cost to Endurance, and convert the Mana cost of the Focused/Forecast arrow lines to Endurance. This would still leave Summer’s and the DoT as the big Mana hogs they are, which it would be nice to compensate for that by having some means of bumping up Mana Regeneration for a minute or so on a 10(ish) minute cooldown.
    9 : More ranks of Shield Block please. I do not need another activated defensive AA, between Outriders Evasion and Protection of the Spirit Wolf activated AA’s, the Veteran Reward defensive ability, and the Glyph of Dragon Scales. I’d rather not have to use the Glyph, that’s AA’s that I could still use elsewhere, but it is what has enabled me to two box (Ranger+Zerker) named in ToV so far.
    10 : This would be a nice QoL change.
    xeveq, Gyurika Godofwar, Skuz and 2 others like this.
  3. WeezFv Lorekeeper

Id like to see our skill abilities use END instead of Mana
    Joules_Bianchi and Andarriel like this.
  4. Fintank Augur

The majority of the content in this post has a resounding WHY attached to it. One of which being why post this in Vet's Lounge?
    Hellowhatsyourname likes this.
  5. Maedhros High King

6. Kurage_of_Luclin Augur

Ok, to clarify rangers are hybrid druid / warriors, at least the were at concept. Druids get self and group exodus. Rangers get some of the druid spells, usually self only or lesser quality. Rogues get a self exodus aa, so why not rangers?

I have made a stack of Shadowspike arrows and parsed them. The improvement was about 10k dps improvement on base. Not a class breaker but a nice boost.

I dont have problem with people who have better ideas than me, the ones I have posted are what I think are good improvements. Instead of critical statements, "WHY" not post something better, or improve upon what I have started?
  7. Kurage_of_Luclin Augur

One thing that I forgot to mention on first post would also be nice is to cut minimum bow distance in half.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  8. roth Augur

They ditched the idea of hybrids in favor of each class being its own thing a LONG time ago. We all still refer to them as hybrids (casters, priests, melee, hybrids) but as a concept, of “this class is an amalgam of these other classes”, its not been valid for over a decade now.

About the arrow damage, I am of two minds. First, since 1 damage is 1 damage is 1 damage, it really does not matter if the damage comes from the bow, from augs, or from the arrow. On the other hand, arrow upgrades are nice every once in a while.

Don’t get me wrong. Rangers do have two distinct needs that I can see right now. First, is our mana usage compared to our ability to restore it is abysmal. Second, the lack of a direction for the class. Are we melee? Ranged? Are we supposed to supplement our nuke/DoT damage with melee/archery, or is magic damage intended to supplement our weapons? It would be nice to get some consistency, as well as some acknowledgement of our “Light Tank” status. Right now, without parsing, it feels as though with two cleric mercs that my Berserker (ToV raid geared) tanks better than my ranger (ToV TS raid geared). And that’s with berserkers having lower active defense skill caps.
  9. Evye Augur

Point blank shot AA!
    Make it like expensive like a focus aa

Kurage_of_Luclin likes this.
  10. Tucoh Augur

My proposed change:

* Increase mana cost of ranger abilities. EQ needs to respect mana as an important resource, but we can just let other classes continue to not have to worry about it too much by making rangers even more mana starved.
    kizant likes this.
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I am not understanding this? The Shadowspike Arrow is the result of a quest. It was never meant to be used with Endless Quiver.

But if I understand what your saying is you made these, one at a time, until you got a stack and then parsed this?

And how did Ancient Arrows parse which are much easier to make and do not expend with Endless Quiver?

I don't think Shadowspikes need to be adjusted, I think we need a new arrow.
  12. roth Augur

Assuming he used the Ancient Arrows as his baseline and did not change augs around, he parsed a 27 weapon damage increase to be about 10k DPS increase.

Shadow spikes do not need a change. People just need to realize that functionally speaking, arrows are damage augs. Devs do not look at augs as bonus damage, but as part of the power increase given to weapons every expansion. They look at arrows in a similar fashion, and have been giving all of the expansionary weapon power increases to the bow lately, not the arrow or the augs. Furthermore, an expansion in which we do get a new arrow, or some bow damage augs, will see the bows lose some damage prior to their appearance in beta, because it’s all the same power increase to the same intended power level.

A new arrow would be nice, but we are not losing anything by not getting one.

What they really need to do is give Endless Quiver to all classes that can use a bow, and an Endless Bandolier AA to everyone that has throwing, that does for ranged thrown items what Endless Quiver does for archery : make ranged combat economically viable.
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Is that while your Ranger is equipping a shield, dual-wielding or using a 2 hander?

While using a shield your Ranger should be decently ahead tanking-wise, with dual wield it would be a smaller amount ahead, I would think.
    Zerkers riposte heavily so while they are tanking stuff does tend to die a bit faster which might be why it feels like a better tank.
    Parsed out over a decent amount of mobs you would almost certainly see the zerker took more damage than the Ranger does on average.
    minimind likes this.
  14. Zolav Augur

Isn't this what Beta is for? lol

3 months late to that party
  15. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

Balancing classes isn't a priority during beta.
  16. Triconix Augur

Shouldn't that be dependent on the situation/circumstance? I swap my 3 primary bando sets - SB, DW, 2H, continuously throughout the day. I don't think I ever want to be typecasted into SB 24/7 like I used to be. Those were dark days for a warrior.

Not sure why you would want to over simplify a class to one set up the entire time. There should be scenarios where melee outweighs Archery and vise versa. That gives the class flavor.
    Kurage_of_Luclin and Elyssanda like this.
  17. Accipiter Old Timer

Are you sure about that? At least you can buff mana regen. In a group setting my monk has to sit after every kill on the off chance he can catch a tick or two of OOC regen.
  18. Zolav Augur

Breather... will solve your group game issues.
  19. Accipiter Old Timer

Usually I don't bother because most of those discs cancel when you attack. If I'm going to sit out, I can just let OOC regen do the trick. I don't see that in the description of Breather, though. Is it different than the other endurance regen discs in that regard?
  20. Derka Power Ranger

Rangers tank fine for light duty and even T1 CoV. I will get flamed for this but the Roaring weapons proc can be so overpowered when it goes off, especially consecutively. No other tank needs less heals than us because we can mitigate 100% melee damage so often. When it comes to named, if you time everything out in correct order you're looking at a safety net of at least 1.5 mins not including random Roarings, and that is without dragon glyph.
    Jennre likes this.