What is going on?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Maedhros, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Just a guess: You're the type of person that seeks likes and re-posts, aren't you? That's what this race is and always has been. It's every bit as lame. A virtual measuring contest.
  2. Robnie Augur

I'm 99% sure if we measured speed runs accurately and efficiently, roi would still win lol
  3. KrakenReality Augur

Look at yourself, you’re trapped alone in your room tethered to your screen, pressing a button chasing that next dopamine rush while your screen flashes with pretty lights. The world is passing you by and you’re just wanting to throw stones at others because they happen to enjoy a little community event.

Those people racing get an opportunity once a year to have a little competition between themselves. It’s called community and you should try enjoying it.
    Kurage_of_Luclin likes this.
  4. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

The thing is this:

I don't care about gathering in the morning on a weekday (for me - i'm in mountain) - nor am I about to ask my people to do that, knowing the impact it would have on their families and work, and all that crap. However, that in no way diminishes the enjoyment/satisfaction that the four guilds who do care enough to do that get from doing it.

I'd guess that the one thing RA gained from beating you to Mearatas was satisfaction, if nothing else - and that matters. For me, the only thing I gained from beating Mearatas (other then tangible things like unlocking evolvers) was RELIEF that it was done and the monkey was off my back, so to speak.

With opening day, for me, its more about us - did we move through the events smoothly, cleanly, get the job done, and take care of business while having some fun? Did folks cheer when we got the win? (that's always a really good indicator of how people feel). But I'm not gonna lie - if we manage to post a good result/finish and happen to also take the top spot on our server, then i'm gonna almost definitely have a smile on my face - old habits die hard, even if my perspective has changed over the years. Do I think it impacts us when it comes to recruiting? God, no.

There's room for all of us.

Just because we don't feel the same, don't agree, doesn't mean we have to be mean-spirited, yell at or insult each other. I wish more folks could see that.
  5. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I was told these guilds can't come to an agreement amongst themselves. It sounds more like a competition than a community, from where I stand (admittedly, the outside).

This didn't feel just a little too steep when you were typing it? :oops:
  6. Fintank Augur

Thinking these are separate is where you're hitting a disconnect. It is absolutely a competition, whether some people are actively competing to be the best or just do very well because it is fun. There is a community built around the competition and competing itself. I have several friends and people I talk to in other guilds and on other servers. People/Friends that I would never have shared any words with without this competition that some deem silly. People/Friends that are in guilds "ranked" ahead of mine, below mine, side by side and even those who don't raid that seek information. All walks of EQ life meet together through this "race for rankings" in some form or fashion. Without our "race for rankings" there would be a giant hole in the community of our game, to think otherwise is wrong.

I can see how people on the outside in their own little bubble might demean what we enjoy and not see the point. At face value it certainly looks more immature and at times pointless, that's just how public forums come off most of the time. You don't see the passion, comradery, disappointment and support within a guild trying to prove themselves on the forums. You don't see the tells or talks to people in other guilds and on other servers when there's information being shared. You will very rarely see anything that is deemed as a good community on the forums in regards to raiding. Everything is highly individual, I'd be surprised if the majority of the raiding community didn't have friends in other places.

People may not like or respect the invisible trophy that most raid guilds chase. Including people in those aforementioned guilds. That in no way devalues the journey, the work or the passion that goes into it. There's nothing wrong with deeply caring about how you do. There's nothing wrong with focusing on the end goal and results. To say or even think that there is no community in hardcore raiding is perhaps the silliest thing I've ever read on the forums. I guarantee you that this community is a lot deeper than the casual side of this game.

-----Lag sux plz fix, ranger gr8 cept mana plz also fix!
  7. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

If the race does not mean anything to you that is completely fine, but for crying out loud stop trying to ram that opinion down everybody else's throat because clearly for some people the race matters, you might not like it but that's just tough, now please learn the simple fact that not everyone has the same priorities as you do, and for some people things you consider meaningless do have value, and that's just the way the world is. :cool:

Whatever happened to live & let live?
  8. Szilent Augur

if I had to pick one commenter in this thread to whom the race appears to matter most? It wouldn't be any member of RoI, SR, MS, SoD, TR, or RotE. Just Sayin'…
    adetia, Maedhros, Elyssanda and 2 others like this.
  9. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

No argument here, I've been in guilds for whom the race did mean "something" but even for them it was never the be all end all, it was just nice if they pulled off a win before anyone else had managed it, the race was fun for them.
  10. KrakenReality Augur

No, you can’t expect to chuck batteries at people without having some thrown back at you. Also, take note who was the first one to resort to personal insults, while simultaneously not caring.
  11. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

I will say this. It makes a great opening for the next big dystopian future novel...

Look at yourself, you’re trapped alone in your room tethered to your screen, pressing a button chasing that next dopamine rush while your screen flashes with pretty lights. The world is passing you by and you’re just wanting to throw stones at others because they happen to enjoy a little community event Hunger Games Insert title of brilliant new novel here.
    KrakenReality likes this.
  12. KrakenReality Augur

I think they did something like this in Black Mirror, but it’s a common theme.
    MasterMagnus likes this.
  13. Metanis Bad Company

What really makes me mad is that they could fix the lag any single day they wanted to. But they know we will just live with it.
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Fixing the lag is the easy part.

Finding what is causing it is the "find a needle in a haystack" part and that bit is rarely easy.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  15. Maedhros High King

I'm not sure how trying to rub it in that RA beat my guild in Mearatas by a week fits your narrative about not caring about the race. To answer your question, you gained even more status than ROTE did when we beat RA by 2 weeks on Drusella's Vault.
    Beating Mearatas prenerf, or after 1 nerf, or after 3 nerfs is literally one of the biggest measuring sticks in the history of EQ.
    Each expansion has a perceived difficult assigned to it by us the raiders. Thus your rankings matter differently per expansion. 1 vs 2 vs 3 in TOV was separated by minutes, while 1 vs 2 vs 3 was separated by months in TBL. Its up to the person viewing EGL to be well informed enough about the raids to know what they are reading on the rankings.
    Whether you think a 6 vs a 7 is really not that different for a Mearatas raid, you surely cannot deny that a 2 vs a 19 on Mearatas is a very big difference. Both guilds beat the raid, but they are separated by 15 months.
    I am telling you as a guild leader that fields most of our recruiting questions that standings on EGL are absolutely a factor when people are considering to apply to a guild and I doubt any recruitment officers or guild leaders would disagree with me.
  16. Rexa Ask someone else for buffs

ToV has set a big precedent with "timing," whether we like it or not.

I think for a game being out over 20 years that miraculously survived WoW, numerous company changes, itself (EQ2), and now even a pandemic, that "serious" lag is going to be the norm for a long time - unless more time and money is invested to improve the same outdated code and servers. I've accepted this reality since not much (if anything) has even changed since ToV on this front. I'm not saying everyone else should accept it, too. However, it's making me view the "race" and other things a lot more leniently. Of course, we only dealt with T1 and we don't know how T2 nor T3 will pan out as those will involve much more complicated mechanics. But will there be lag? Oh I can bet there will be!

Since we didn't get any bonus content last year (but way too much time was spent on opening TLP servers with serious stability issues), I would hope the devs spend 100% of their time on the lag issues. Skip adding more TLPs this year, skip the bonus content and invest to improve "quality of life" where lag is concerned. If not, it will bite this game seriously on the rear next year with the way things have been going.
  17. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.
    Metanis and Elyssanda like this.
  18. Cicelee Augur

Mearatas was truly a race, and might be the last true race. It is a great indicator of a guild's strength, talent, execution, desire, commitment, determination and commitment to winning. Not only did it take some guilds months (and several event changes) to win, a few even chose to just bow out and not even attempt a win until much later in the next expansion.

It is hard for compare Mearatas to TOV or (for now) COV. The degrees of difficulty is substantial, and having 14 guilds on Day 1 complete all of COV makes it harder to differentiate strength, talent, execution, blah blah blah.

I am not anti race. I know and understand many who enjoy the race. I was one of those as well. I also know many who don't care about a race, or who no longer care. My point is timestamps IMHO does not give the best indicator of a guild's overall ranking and skill and talent and such. A factor, for sure. But there are better indicators that the community doesn't seem to care about or want to pursue.

And maybe that will forever be the case until something drastic like a Xegony or Bristlebane or Cazic 72 hour server shutdown happens an hour before T3 raids are released. And then you may have quite a few other guilds with a better timestamp grinning from ear to ear that otherwise would have finished 12th had that not happen.
    Skuz and MasterMagnus like this.
  19. Paladin42069 New Member

races are for losers
  20. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Ding ding, we have a runner up!

Excellent post on the merits, but your time stamp is later ;)