What is going on?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Maedhros, Jan 7, 2021.

1. Zolav Augur

It actually took Reckless Ascension 57 min (give or take some seconds) to do all 3, we took it chill, even waited for burns for the last event so there was 10 min added to our time. Did it in a bit diff order then most.

From the first hit upon engage to Tantor to the 3rd event achieve message. Saw somewhere up there they had us at 1 hr and 43 min (what)

[Thu Jan 07 19:31:48 2021] You crush Tantor for 111924 points of damage. (Lucky Critical Flurry
    [Thu Jan 07 19:43:30 2021] You have completed achievement: Tantor: Not a Monster

[Thu Jan 07 20:05:38 2021] You have completed achievement: Klandicar and the New Brood: No Dragonicide

[Thu Jan 07 20:28:02 2021] You have completed achievement: Conqueror of Dragon Necropolis: Zlandicar

Now the lag... it was... something else. I have never experienced lag like that before in EQ. It would be awesome for them to come to the boards and let us know if/when/or even they plan to do something about it. Heck even resetting the servers weekly seems to help a TON.

I heard there was some mention of it on twitter from DPG... TWITTER! old people do not use twitter lol.

Communicate with us please, what can be done, if anything?
    Lannin likes this.
  2. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

Again I probably should keep quiet, but.

It seems to me around the time the term 'Tech Debt' (the enormous mountain of work they know it will take to fix it) was being thrown around, they knew about this issue, and they knew about the impending sale.

They seem to feel it isn't worth the time and disruption to everything it would take to fix.

If the 'infusion of cash' doesn't come or isn't enough to tip the scales on that opinion, are they going to take a bite at that apple?
  3. Maedhros High King

If that is correct, then your guilds entry on EGL is not lining up.
    Its listed as 17:43:33 - which of course is 20:43:33 EST to align with your time stamp.
    I think this accounts for the discrepancy.
  4. MasterMagnus The Oracle of AllHigh

With the server lagging do you guys trust these timestamps to a third party site?

A few milliseconds can represent several minutes in a 'timestamp', where it is a value stored as a number then translated back into minutes and seconds.
  5. Robnie Augur

I can't go to EGL for some reason so someone did it new the first time this year and didn't account for EGL's time zone lol, We've resubmitted
    Lannin and Maedhros like this.
  6. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

If this is a race and you slow down to loot..should the other race participants pause their game? Desire for shiny things is weakness that must be purged if you want that top spot!
    Kurage_of_Luclin likes this.
  7. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Its also not much of a race when the events that started off challenging on beta, were fun to work at and learn and wipe on, become neutered a couple days before release so that you can sleepwalk through them.
    Sancus likes this.
  8. Szilent Augur

sour grapes
    Kurage_of_Luclin and Sancus like this.
  9. Astral64 Augur

Nah, we looted all the things.
    Kurage_of_Luclin likes this.
  10. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Guess I should be glad we raided when it opened, because if having 3x more guilds raiding later on caused this, not looking forward to t3 opening. It wasn't near that bad, didn't see much of that except for tantor not wanting to follow people too well.
  11. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

If RoI decided to do that we wouldn't be RoI, so its kind of a meaningless rhetorical question.
  12. ArtremasEQ Augur

Your assumed start time is incorrect. We couldn't even request the first event till about 18:09 or so, CET. Events did not release on all servers equally, so the numbers are even further skewed all over.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  13. Szilent Augur

In any pursuit, there's excellence and there's lack of excellence no matter the scale of that pursuit, whether that pursuit is Curing Cancer or making pancakes. Everyone here has self-selected by their participation on Daybreak's EQ forum as someone who very seriously, deeply cares about EverQuest. Protests to the contrary "really is stupid"[sic]. To not recognize consistent achievement within the scale of one's chosen pursuits "really is stupid."
  14. jeskola pheerie

Proximoe and Lisard like this.
  15. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

No doubt. The implication being all contestants that were not #1 would have more improvements to make, a silly one being skipping their loot process.
  16. Maedhros High King

You are certainly entitled to your opinion even when its totally wrong.
    ROTE does not get the quality of applicants that ROI does, RA certainly does not either. Why could that be? ROI's reputation as the top guild for 10+ years which has been 100% certified by EGL history.
    For newer guilds, that are less than 10 years old such as ROTE, RA, SV... a lot of peoples first time they even hear about a certain guild is when they say "oh wow who is ROTE? I never heard of them but I see they have been doing pretty good on EGL so I want to learn more".
    Historically my guild has gotten more apps from cross servers than from within Cazic Thule outside of the initial first year that we gobbled up a lot of casuals and unfortunately canniballized some smaller struggling raid guilds.
    We have 100% gotten recruits where the initial conversation went like "I am from such and such server and my guild is struggling and I hate that other big guild on my server so I want to go someplace new, looked on EGL and saw you guys".
    I guarantee every top 10 guild other than maybe ROI has had recruits that have never heard of the guild before but saw them on EGL.
    The race matters for recruiting, even if the results don't perfectly measure the overall strength of one guild versus another.
    If it did not matter ROI would not have been getting many of the top recruits every year for 10 years. People would have just gone to any old guild that can "Get raids dead does. Periodt."

So yea, just to be clear, this thread is about the lag and how badly it affects gameplay and specifically about raiding. Definitely not intended to discuss the realities of how the lag affects the race other than to acknowledge that after my above paragraphs, if a guilds spot in the EGL list is adversely effected by lag I can definitely see that effecting recruiting.
  17. zoycite Journeyman

EQ is not a speed run game because there are no standards established for making sure that times are recorded in the same fashion like in actual speed running.

It is not about who runs the first mile, but who runs the fastest mile.

The EQ community just isn't equipped or ready to deal with that reality and accept speed runs as the standard measuring stick and instead only care about the person that finished the mile first regardless of how they did it i.e. run category. What would happen if Xegony were to have a crash on tier 3 and another guild claimed the first to complete the mile title?

Servers have variability in the amounts of lag experienced on different days and times. Also servers can crash and go down. This fact will not change. So why are we still entertaining the idea that the first to complete the content is forever the winner?
    Rexa and Lisard like this.
  18. adetia Monkess Wonder, Ruler of All

I'd like to add a few observations, both related directly to the thread's intended purpose and some not.

1. Lag is an issue. That should be the focus of this thread - as the original poster intended. We did not particularly experience lag that impacted the Tantor or Klandicar event in any way, however, I think we got through before the massive lagstorm that hit Luclin later was too diminishing. We did however, see abnormal behaviour by the time we got to Zlandicar (the lag was definitely kicking in by then, we did that last) - and I believe that was almost certainly the product of the lagstorm - I wouldn't be terribly surprised if there was at least one guild out there who wiped as a result - I know we suffered through numerous very lengthy lagouts that disconnected folks even, and I personally was breathing many sighs of relief that we were done already. I don't konw whats making the lag so bad in the last couple of weeks, but its resulted in many significant interruptions in gameplay, deaths, mass disconnections and general suffering in Luclin, and was, in my opinion, an exacerbating factor in an extreme amount of stress due to losing the entire contents of my Dragons Hoard. (thats been satisfactorily resolved thank god).

2. All this mumbo jumbo about racing, ranks, progression whatever.

First off, kudos to you (collectively) fine folks that gathered at launch time and got the job done. I admire that there's still 200+ people that are passionate and committed to the race enough to do so.

That said, my thoughts on racing have definitely changed over the years as I've gotten older. I've seen the race from just about every angle in my EverQuest career; from the tippy top, and also from a guild that was struggling to rebuild and just about everywhere in between - from knocking the inflated ego of an incoming server merge from another super competitive guild off their high horse a decade ago to having another incoming merged guild hand us a generous slice of humble pie. Almost every guild, given enough time, will go through this cycle at one point or another, thats just life and the passage of time.

We, as a guild, don't worry so much about being on at 10 in the morning for unlocks; i dont see that changing much in the future, and for me, anybody that beats the raids on day one - great job! You've put in the work, and even if you didn't gather in the morning, many of you assembled a capable force on a day you may not even normally raid. Its a good feeling to get the job done and move on, and quite frankly, whether it took you an hour or three hours, you got there, and that is what matters. I love the fact that in a twenty plus year old game, there are still almost twenty guilds that got through - thats what, a thousand folks give or take that still love this game enough to be on, adventure, and most likely be passionate about one of my very favourite pastimes. I know some of you will be inclined to say oh well, too easy - whatever, in a 20 year old game I'm ok with whatever it takes to maintain a level of enthusiasm and passion that clearly exists.

Sometimes things happen that can impact other measures - like how long it takes someone to do the three raids - once we started our run, we had a forced intermission due to a chest not releasing its loot as intended; and we didn't rush like our pants were on fire from one thing to the next, but we didn't dilly dally a ton either. We did take some time to do some swaps, let some folks get some raid time under them since they'd made the effort to turn up, that kind of thing. I try very hard to balance the clock ticking loudly in my ears with other things that yield long term happiness for my folks. I know I sent tells to a couple guild leaders yesterday expressing my appreciation and commending them on moving so quick - I mean really, clocking a Klandicar kill in 10 minutes after the Tantor kill is pretty impressive any way you slice it on day one. Not something I would ever particularly try to accomplish myself, but I am duly impressed that it happened ;)

Sure, the race matters. Clocking in on day one, that's important. I was pleased with our efforts, we pretty much ended up exactly where we hoped to be. I hope most of the rest of the first day crowd felt the same way at the end of the day. Show me somebody in one of the say top 15-20 guilds that isn't looking at EGL at some point in the day, and i'll show you a fibber :p But is it everything? I'd say definitely no.

As Maedhros indicated, its an imperfect measure and there, will always be folks thinking it should be measured another way or not at all. And thats ok. Not everyone is for every guild, and not every guild is for everyone. The trick is to find one where you can shine, that feels like home, and the place you want to live out your EQ glory days, however long they last.

(and yeah yeah yeah, i know, too long. as one of the resident "old ladies" of EQ, too bad :p)
    Denyu, Elyssanda, Szilent and 2 others like this.
  19. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Tell me 1 single thing RA gained from beating you in Mearatas. I'm waiting. Just 1 single thing.

The race is a waste. Bragging rights is of no use to me, I could care less. You do you though. You can continue place way too high a value on this, especially given the lag in EQ that will continue to ruin the moment, followed by a server crash.
    Bigstomp likes this.
  20. KrakenReality Augur

You should actually try this.