missed the boat

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by lexdalton, Dec 9, 2020.

1. lexdalton New Member

I have been away from EQ for ages and want to get back into the old school experience.
    Have I missed the boat on the timelocked servers? Soloing is not something I enjoy very much.
  2. HoodenShuklak Augur

The current batch? Kind of. Velious is underway and Sleeper is woke.

But it's a forgone conclusion that the next batch of TLP are coming between Luclin and the EQ anniversary.
  3. a_librarian Augur

Yes, but no... but yes.

Luclin will be the next best chance to level from scratch. You can do it right now but finding low level groups is vastly more work than it would be on a new classic server, and you'll be grouping with lots of twinks and out of group high level PLs.
  4. Machen New Member

You missed the boat. P99 is that way. The TLP's are not the "old school experience."
    Skuz likes this.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

TLP are a way to fast-track from classic to live and have a good portion of the nostalgia intact but a lot of the rough corners were taken off, thousands of bug fixes, spell changes and systems changes will mean that modern EQ is actually very different to old EQ from back in the day, even if you start in classic on a freshly minted TLP server.

For a real "classic" experience P99 Green is probably your best bet, and the closest you'll get to classic & even that is far more reliable, miles less buggy and cantankerous than EQ was back then.
  6. Riddish Lorekeeper

You can also try Agnarr which is the PoP locked server. We're a smaller crew but there is no toxicity and you won't need to fight for camps. Plenty of buffs available and people who give out gear for newer people. Leveling can be a little more lonely in some of the earlier levels, but with (probably) bonus exp coming up for the holidays, more people level alts and boxes.
  7. Lejaun Augur

No, you didn't miss the boat. It's going to take more time to find them, but there are still low level groups out there, especially in the 20+ range and Aradune is only in Velious. Plus, everyone and their brother have a box account to be OOG to buff and heal or whatever, so you'll level plenty fast.
  8. Bloooter New Member

I missed the boat once..... so I used the translocator instead
    Fluid likes this.
  9. jeskola pheerie

The old school experience is gone forever with time. We are all older, technology has changed (especially in the form of communication), game knowledge is high. The real question is, besides not wanting to solo, what else do you want to get out of this?
    Skuz likes this.
  10. Moranis Augur

Unfortunately, I think you may have permanently missed the boat.

For my money, the last true "nostalgia" experience was Phinegal server. Ragefire was tons of fun because it was really the first of the "new wave" of TLPs and Phinny took that torch by adding pick zones and agents of change so that you could effectively have your own raid zones. A large portion of the playerbase on those servers had genuinely been away from Everquest for 10+ years and it was really fun re-learning and re-exploring the game with others who were in the same boat.

Fast-forward a few years and the TLPs lost their spark...at least for me. What was a fun trip back to 2000, by the time Agnarr released, ended up becoming an increasingly concentrated playerbase of hardcore repeat TLP'ers. What I mean is, the joy of re-living EQ was lost - after Phinny it seemed, there we no more large influxes of long-lost EQ'ers...starting with around Ag'narr, the player base largely consisted of TLP veterans only who knew the game inside and out.

I think Coirnav poached some P99 players for a minute, but it fell flat with me the same as Agnarr before it and al the ones after.

It might be worthwhile to hop into the next TLP when it drops, but be ready for the fact that about 90% of the people you will play / group with are likely TLP veterans that have the Classic-thru-Velious game memorized and it kinda siphons the fun.
  11. Indigo_Quarmite Augur

Missed it by 20 years, give or take. It's not the same game. You either enjoy it or you won't.
  12. Thunn Journeyman

You can pay someone a few krono and get power leveled to 50+ in no time
  13. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

This might just be me saying this but everyone who left Phinigel should come back, after this long an amount of time a large amount of them would once again been away for around 10 years (of expansions anyway).
  14. Moranis Augur

Heh, maybe...but for me and likely some others, the L70+ EQ isn't all that interesting or fun.
    There's a part of me that kinda wishes I rode it out to Live on Phinny (I made it to about OOW before I called it quits) but I've dabbled in most of the later EQ expansions and just don't find them all that thrilling. I somewhat regret not hopping back on to play VoA in-era because that's one of the few expansions I totally missed.
  15. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Maybe when players fall out of love with EQ, even if its only after a certain era, it is more because the people that they were playing it with that they had the most fun with have left & they were not able to find new people who they enjoyed the game with?

When most of my old guildmates left, some of whom I had played EQ on live with for years I was pretty down, but I decided to stick around and make the best of things, to see how joining my now current guild would pan out - I am glad that I did. I still miss my old buddies but I made a bunch of new ones.
    KrakenReality likes this.
  16. Nolrog Augur

/sigh.

The two most recent TLPs are still in Velious. They don't hit Luclin until February (and there will be people creating Beastlords at that point). The boat didn't even leave the docks yet.
  17. Herf Augur

Try Agnarr if you're happy with PoP/Ykesha/LDoN locked. We have all the time in the world there to do quests, raise alts, etc. It's a nice server.
  18. FranktheBank Augur

Lvl 70s are pretty bad because its such a slog. Demiplane is fun tho. I dont know about not interesting or fun. 70s are the start of having mechanics, 75+ just adds to that.
    Skuz likes this.