COV comments...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Cicelee Augur

Not all of us have pre purchased the new expansion. It was made aware to me in another thread that there has been no NDA on beta for a couple expansions, which makes me think it is safe to talk about outside the beta forums.

So for the players who have spent time in the expansion, are you allowed to give an opinion or share macro level thoughts? Or are thoughts and opinions beginning on December 8?

Maybe if it is an excellent expansion it would create more pre orders through positive buzz. Or not. I dunno.
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I haven't logged on to the beta-server, so my impression is based on browsing the beta forums:

Looks like it is a very "barebones" expansion, regarding AAs and spells. Items seems to be the usual copy-paste design with predictable increases(raidloot.com lists some of the new items).
    Im guessing the devs were held back with corona-restrictions this time around. :(

Haven't seen any screenshots or quest/raids descriptions(gotta keep myself spoilerfree :) )
  3. Svann2 The Magnificent

lots of dragons
    Gyurika Godofwar and Cazmac like this.
  4. KrakenReality Augur

It’s pretty much McDonalds. Is it wonderful? No, not really but it’s ok. It’s not awful like a Burger King or Taco Bell, but not as amazing as Arby’s.
  5. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Imagine a recent expansion ... now imagine it was designed with one less person. That's pretty much CoV. Welcome to LoY, except with familiar zones.

Jumbur said the keyword - barebones. The one new feature is really a back end code project that got made into a front facing "feature" because someone realized at the last minute that they needed something in the advertising. It is hard to imagine an expansion with less than CoV has. The sales numbers will be interesting.

The content is meh. I'm not a huge fan of the 4 missions, but since again they are raid carbon copies ... raid testing may have influenced my thinking. I worry that the blocking in the first month plus of ToV will look good by comparison when CoV goes live.

There are 9 raids again so if you raid, you are buying. Gear inflation is such that they have obsoleted TBL tier 1 raid gear with the top tier CoV group gear (tradeskill) ... which is probably not good for the health of the game. The ultra rares stay the exact same (which are TBL tier 1 raid equivalent).

Zero has been done for class balance in this expansion. The spells and aas have zero thought ... pretty much just bumped the bare minimum.

Hard to blame the developers for this ... it's leadership and lack of resources.
    FubarEQ, Ironkeg, Fenthen and 6 others like this.
  6. Tarvas Redwall of Coirnav, now Drinal

I dream about the having access to the full menu of Taco Bell. Its the best Mexican restaurant in Texas.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

It is lacking in every aspect.

Graphic mistakes with Tantor having small ears not large like the origninal and Othimir look like they have been to Chenobyl and glow very brightly (they look better if you take your helm off but who in their right mind is going to do that).

Dragons on the other hand look great.

Spells are the usual few for a non level expansion, nothing exiting.

AAs are pitiful, less than normal for a non level expansion with wizzys not getting a singe archtype AA.

4 missing roughly the usual amount of quests per zone.

Named, from what I remember less per zone than normal.

No evolving items by tradeskills or drop.

If you purchase it expect to be done by January.

Oh yeah and there is a feature which doesn't warent even a mention.
  8. Sobmre Augur

its like check soda, you'll drink it cause it was the only thing left in the fridge.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Fenthen like this.
  9. lagkills Slain by Fippy while guards stood and watched.

How many designers did recent expansion have, two?
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

Man, you really need to get your priorities straight.
    Gyurika Godofwar, xmPradah and trakk like this.
  11. Slasher Augur

excuse me ? Taco Bell is awesome.
    Bardy McFly, Ironkeg and Fenthen like this.
  12. Slasher Augur

If you don't raid :) Raids don't even open until january right ?

I would say they need to stop adding "features" take the resources from that and make more content zones,quest,missions. Unless you're remaking Heroics for 105/110 we would rather have more zones/content.
    smash likes this.
  13. trakk Lorekeeper

I eat 1 thing at McDonald's, and it's a dollar. Much prefer the other three, but Boston market is better than them all.
    Ironkeg and Caell like this.
  14. Sissruukk Rogue One

Rogues get a long overdue upgrade to their Poison Spikes Trap.
  15. Nniki Augur

LoY is sadly the first thing I thought of when describing it to someone yesterday.

I think the teams looked something like this:

ToV (2019)
    Code = JChan++, Hludwolf*, klanderso, Dzarn+, Narlee, Mr. Froo, niente
    Design = Prathun, Ngreth, Absor, Aristo, Dzarn+, Pip

CoV (2020)
    Code = JChan++, klanderso, Dzarn, Narlee*, Mr. Froo*, niente, Morrigan
    Design = Prathun*, Ngreth, Absor, Aristo, Pip, Ganzito

* left before beta
    + shared between teams
    ++ in multiple roles, so not as involved now
  16. Sancus Augur

Ganzito (Ryan Shannon) is listed in the credits for ToV, though I believe he primarily worked on Overseer implementation during that period. Knowm (Sean Declercq) was transitioned from Q&A to design during CoV development, and I believe he primarily is working on items. Zieri (Melissa Comeau) I believe was hired last month as a Designer. Dzarn is still listed as a Designer for CoV, though I suspect he's mostly or entirely on code at this point (he was already 70% coder previously in TBL).
  17. Nniki Augur

Yeah, I wasn't certain when Ganzito came onboard exactly, as his forum join date was December 17th, 2019, but my understanding is also that he worked on Overseer. I had forgotten about Knowm :( and wasn't aware of Zieri! Cool.
    Sancus likes this.
  18. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

You also forgot Ratalthor
    Skuz likes this.
  19. Marton Augur

Good summary.
    Skuz likes this.
  20. Sancus Augur

Ratalthor (Jared Cate) is a(n Associate?) Producer. He's not listed in the CoV credits for some reason, but his role is similar to Phathom's, Mooncast's, or Holly's in that he's in a leadership role rather than doing design or code work himself.
    Skuz, Nniki and Riou like this.