A Quick Note from Jenn Chan, Head of Studio, Darkpaw Games

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by dreamweaver, Dec 1, 2020.

1. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

+1 Dreamweaver
  2. Benito EQ player since 2001.

EG7 has released Daybreak’s financial data in a presentation on their site. Swedish culture is very transparent. I believe sharing the numbers may violate forum rules.

The top earners and populations by game in the Daybreak portfolio are from best to worst are:

DCUO (double that of EQ1)
    EQ1
    LOTRO
    Planetside 2
    D&D
    EQ2

Edit: The presentation is starting to circulate on several third party sites. This post can be removed if it there is a request to limit business-related discussion on the official forums.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Riou EQResource

Whats fun on that is EQ1 has more paying members then eq2+dcuo combined, like 90% of dcuo is f2p
    Gyurika Godofwar, Benito and Sancus like this.
  4. Nniki Augur

I don't think it would be a breach of anything listed here, at least as far as I can see:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/forum-guidelines.258901/
    Benito and Sancus like this.
  5. Fornow Lorekeeper

Man only 300m....Stupid yacht,. But all good cause I wouldn't care if North Korea owned it ,so long as John smelly didn't come back
  6. Yarmeth Journeyman

Nothing has been mentioned about the security of our credit and personal information. Who will ultimately be responsible? Will users have to agree to a new EULA?
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I guess that the owners being swedish means DPG must honor the GDPR(I think they already do, as we europeans can still play the game): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Data_Protection_Regulation

But don't worry, GDPR mainly protects the end-users afaik. :)

At least DPG isn't being owned by the Russian Mafia...:p

Does that mean us EQ1 players are less into pay2win than those other 2 games...?
  8. losechange New Member

will be a great fit, to make eq a formable game contender again., EQ next had some good ideas
    1. A. I.
  9. Sir Beefy New Member

Always happy to see progress and evolution. I can't wait for next Christmas!
  10. Elskidor Augur

This is kinda exciting. What's the new game? EQ Next... Everquest remake? EQ mobile? Hmm...
  11. Svann2 The Magnificent

We did know this; it wasnt just a suspicion.
    SOE changed its name to DBG because they couldnt keep the name Sony in their name. Then later DBG sub-divided their operations into 3 gaming studios(?) including DPG.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Nennius like this.
  12. KrakenReality Augur

Who does DPGs accounting and tax filings? I want to show the IRS, I’m losing money and deserve some tax breaks and refunds. Just drop me a PM!
  13. Benito EQ player since 2001.

14. Slasher Augur

Considering Sony is a publicly traded company this would of been fraud so no they didn't just change the name.
  15. Slasher Augur

If the numbers are accurate you really have to ask the people in charge why do they keep throwing money at eq2 when its not working. I would love to see the budget for EQ2 compared to EQ.
  16. Jumbur Improved Familiar

That whole discussion really depends on how you define a "software company": Is it (a) the legal entity or (b) the group of software developers?

It is not my impression that they fired anyone when they changed ownership, so in the case of (b), it is just a namechange and not a new company. Lawyers may think in terms of (a) though. Many others think in terms of (b). :p
  17. Benito EQ player since 2001.

EQ2 earns more money per head and per month.

It is doing surprisingly well at 20k+ subscribers. I think most people expected their subscriber base to be around 5k.
  18. GamerGramps Journeyman

EQ8... The Ocho
  19. dreamweaver Community Manager

+1 what?
    Funky likes this.
  20. Slasher Augur

SOE was owned by Sony so while SOE/Daybreak are essentially the same company they're owned by a different parent company only difference is who the person in charge of soe/daybreak answers too really.

Which is basically the same thing now. Just a different parent company to answer to.
    Jumbur likes this.