Ideas that didn't work out (good thing)

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Leerah, Nov 25, 2020.

1. Leerah Augur

Everyone should have access to a crafted power source, Beimeth.

In the section on emblems, you touched on the issue of too many types (and augs) and too many different currencies. You want to expand on that?
  2. Leerah Augur

I have another. Alaran.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  3. Beimeith Lord of the Game

My whole point is that most of them are not failed ideas. They're failed implementations. They are two very different things. You can FIX failed implementations with a little effort. Failed ideas are beyond saving.

Why? The original powersources weren't craftable. You had to buy them with currency. They only added tradeskill recipes for them years later because it was annoying to have to continue to redo the old raids just for the currency to buy them.

The Xorbb powersources weren't crafted.

The Darkened Sea powersources weren't crafted, they were dropped, in zones that required progression.

The Ring of Scale powersources weren't crafted, they were dropped, in zones that required progression.

ToV is the only set of powersources that were craftable from the beginning, and yes, they require a bit of progression to do. There is nothing wrong with that. And you don't even *have* to do the progression to use them, someone else can make them for you since they're tradable. That makes them easier than the TBS ones which were tradable but required you to have the raids done to unlock them.

The whole drama about the ToV powersources requiring progression is a bad hill to die on.

I wasn't referring to emblems when I said too many types of augs. I was referring to the TBM implementation with the type 4/5/7/9.

My point was that the system was intended to help newer / less experienced players catch up. That's a great goal, but such a goal requires a SIMPLE system, 4 different types of augments on multiple vendors in multiple zones is NOT simple for new players.

How was that a failed idea? It worked just fine. Having to learn the language as you progressed was actually interesting. I wish they could do those kinds of things more often.
    Nolrog likes this.
  4. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Wow. I don't think I've ever met a player before who put both Drakkin and Vah Shir in their top 3 favorite races to play in EQ. Personally couldn't disagree with you more - Drakkin melee animations are just so lol and Vah Shir look so out of place in the EQ world to me. But I like seeing unpopular opinions now and then! Enjoy your dragon people and cat people!
    Leerah likes this.
  5. Svann2 The Magnificent

Wasnt there armor in ros that you first needed the armor from eok for it to be useful? Yea bad idea.
  6. Szilent Augur

I don't get the hate for item speech. Most of the speaking items weren't good, but I miss Rakban. That guy was always on my side, and he was happy that I was on his side. We had a great time snarling at threats to the pack. I wish I could wear Den Lord mask forever.
    Ninelder likes this.
  7. trakk Lorekeeper

I like drakkin.nperiod. Barb's are cool in chain or naked, otherwise no. That's it. I don't understand ppl that play in the third person to even care what melee animations look like(and FYI: everything the original races do looks a bit bad so..idk what the complaint is on drakkin. Most ppl are like iew, emo or something. Dwarfs are ok in plate I guess but I wouldnt play one personally. Everyone has tastes, appealing to multiple tastes not just yours doesn't make it bad.
    I have a troll zerker, Brazierka, just because that's all I see when there's a female troll in chain- her chest bouncing in a Lacey looking thing nobody wants to see her in. There's the..woodelf? Halfelf? Chick Brazil cut underwear look. There are halflings that don't look like they belong in a battle, ever, but instead the tagerns and shops. They're literally dressed like barwenches. Every race has some serious cringewoethy aspects, some have nothing redeemable I'm(but perhaps they do in your opinion) that's what opinions are for. The melee graphics for the older races to me looks older than the game, like Zelda old. The casting graphics for barbs- while funny- shouldn't be, why would they be wiggling and dancing again? Or waving their arms like monkeys? I can't even think what half the races' casting animations look like- do they all even have them? Sounds like a fail to me like drakkin melee animations are to you huh.
  8. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I love Vah Shir, but then I am a leo with a few cat like tendancies, If someone has a book on the desk next to them a cat would knock it of I just turn it over or round just to mess with them. I move cups and glasses on a desk anything to get attention!

Luclin was my 2nd expansion, I made a beastlord and fell in love with her, I loved her pet growing with her and becoming a citizian of the city. I like Drakin too again I think that is down to the city quests and feeling like I belonged there, dislike how they run though. I like frogs but I cannot play them the spell casting and annimations do my head in, can't do with the bobbing all the time.

As for moster missions I enjoyed most of the ones we did, I remember doing Braaiins in Rivervale and we were in teamspeak and for a full 5 minutes when we started the mission would could do nothing but laugh. I enjoyed the 3 monster mission chain in Kunark, loved the story behind them. I enjoy the halloween monster mission when you are all gods, but then I love Terris Thule's dress. Many of them were very fun to play. EQ these days is becoming less fun with more annoying than fun mechanics.
  9. Ninelder Augur

Totally agree here. About half of the monster missions are truly great. If you love the game and its lore, they are definitely worth the time, an easter egg of developer genius. The Nagafen one is just hilarious to anyone who tried to raid or saw a raid "happening" during those first couple of years of EQ. The others are funny or historical, you are missing out if you don't experience them.

Unfortunately about half the ones they put in game were buggy or broken, the Kunark ones and the dragon ones out of PoR. Would of been great to see what stories were hidden in them.
    Leerah likes this.
  10. Thraine Augur

The Broken Mirror
    Velisaris_MS and Leerah like this.
  11. Triconix Augur

I'm in my drakkin illusion so often people oftentimes don't realize I'm a dwarf. The only illusion I clicked more was the wood elf crown back in the day. Drakkin and frogs are the greatest things to bless this game.

To be fair, Timeless was not an entirely new set. It was part of the same set as Elemental. The only difference was in the nomenclature of the mold. The resultant armor was the same as the elemental armor. You can argue that you can only acquire it in Time compared to the EPs, but it is a BP so it does make sense to have it harder to acquire. Also, you can get "Elemental" molds in Time, which was not an EP. There was another tier of visible armor in Time that was not really a set, but more of a collective six individual items that formed a makeshift set.
    Raptorjesus5 and Jbur like this.
  12. Leerah Augur

Portal attunement. That lasted two expansions.
  13. KrakenReality Augur

TBL Progression
    Overseer
    Collections
    Hero's Forge
    Nobles
  14. trakk Lorekeeper

2? like 4 out of the last 7
  15. Triconix Augur

TBL wasn't the only expansion to have zones locked behind progression. POP has much of its content locked behind progression and is widely considered one, if not the, greatest expansion in EQ history. What exactly was the issue?
    Meh, I enjoyed getting some of the best ornaments in game from some of the coolest weapons to date.
    What actually is wrong with collectibles? I quite enjoy them. They add an additional layer to acquire a little extra exp, extra bags for space, and very useful trophies.
    Uhhh I feel you're a minority here. I don't know many people who don't enjoy armor ornaments. I love how they have raid ornaments for those who partake in raids.
    I will agree with this. I've never used nobles and the entire point of them is lost.
    Skuz likes this.
  16. KrakenReality Augur

1. PoP gets the benefit of nostalgia, but the insane progression path was not well received. Also, the content was tuned pretty high for casual players. On top of lots of things being broken.

2. Overseer won’t last. There’s not enough resources to continually develop and maintain it. It’s clear it was an attempt at integrating EQ and mobile devices, similar to WoWs companion app.

3. Collections are literal trash. There just randomly placed and are a pure time sink.

4. Hero’s Forge looks awful. The armor just doesn’t look natural. Also, requiring each individual character on an account to purchase hero’s forge is garbage.
    Leerah likes this.
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I was around on live for PoP progression, besides some c**k-blocking being done by the uberguilds to slow each other down there were a ton of middle-tier guilds progressing though PoP just fine, even the guild I was in that had completely skipped Vex Thal did just fine progressing through PoP and I did a lot of grouping in PoP zones and never felt they were too highly tuned.

It doesn't need to, it is a fundamental part of the XP equation now that ToV xp model is what the live game has and is likely to keep going forwards, it rewards xp as a Percentage, so it actually gets more powerful automatically in terms of XP rewards at least and for the rest they can add just the expansion related tradeskill items easily..

It was a system that was very popular in EQ2, and it forms a pillar of economic activity, your personal view is likely shared by only an extreme minority sorry.

I completely disagree with you here, many of the hero forge looks I have enjoyed and even the freebie one looked better than regular chain on a Ogre, call me a fanboi of this feature.
  18. KrakenReality Augur

1. You can’t compare launch PoP to TLP PoP that’s just dumb. Also, you haven’t played TBL yet and have no perspective on the asinine progression path.

2. Are you really saying that a game feature doesn’t need to be developed and maintained?

3. Pillar of economic activity? Depends on your server, I guess. I will forever maintain that picking up random objects from trash mobs or the ground with no bearing to the zone, area or general game play is not a well-liked activity.

4. Cool, plate armor looks like crap though. Still, don’t think it’s monetized effectively.
  19. Beimeith Lord of the Game

You are definitely in the minority on this one. People love picking up shiny objects on the ground, in-game and irl.

The collections people hate are the sets that only spawned mid-way through heroic adventures and the earlier expansion dropped sets which had abysmal drop rates.
    Raptorjesus5, trakk and Skuz like this.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I played PoP on live when it first came out and what I described was my experience of it on live as a Warrior not my experience of it as a Berserker on TLP, I haven't ever been through PoP on Live in era OR TLP as a Berserker in era because the class has never been available for PoP.....

I responded to your comment about PoP, last time I checked PoP & TBL are not the same expansion.

It will need expansions added for one part of it, but it will function as well as it does now in later expansions due to the xp rewards being percentage based so maintenance that is "needed" will be minimal, whether it is developed further or not in terms of agents & quests is an open question and anything about that would at this stage be pure speculation.

You personally may not like it, I am sure there are a number of people who share your dislike, I can say that a majority of my own guild enjoy the feature quite a lot & actually I think I haven't heard a single guild mate complain they don't like it, I can't speak for the rest of the server but again haven't seen any open moaning about the feature from them either so my perception is it is quite popular.

Maybe to you it actually does look like crap, not disputing that, but how anything looks is highly subjective, still again I see quite a lot of enjoyment from the feature & next to no moaning about it on my server at least, maybe some specific sets are not well liked but i haven't seen any open complaints about them.
    trakk likes this.