No More Kunark or Velious remakes ever again PLEASE

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Elyssanda, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Nniki Augur

I can't recall if Brekt said anything interesting, but the text displayed upon Mata Muram's defeat is memorable:
    These two paragraphs from Zebuxoruk in the final version of The Void also left an opening for more:
    Full text from Zebuxoruk at the bottom of the page here:
    https://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:Seeds_of_Destruction
    Ssdar and Skuz like this.
  2. Iven Antonius Bayle

I don't like the concept of the expansion remakes like Empires of Kunark, Ring of Scale, Torment of Velious and the upcoming Claws of Veeshan because its just boring the way it has been done. Releasing such expansions that share the same theme two years on the trot does make it even worse. Basically nostalgia is a good idea but there has to be also completely new zones mixed into such expansions and some of them should be instanced level scaled adventure zones in the style of LDoN to reach many players and PCs.

I would prefer nostalgia expansions that are to 50% remakes of old zones and to 50% new zones which would mean 3+3 for the actual poor standard. It is definetly not needed or wanted by the players to remake whole expansions or 2/3 of them ! The new zones should add new accents but still fit a bit to the expansion theme. It would be great if they could grab up and manifestate some old lore. As example the Wakening Lands, Plane of Growth and Plane of Mischief was such zones in Scars of Velious. No snow, ice and dragons there ! Later the Stonebrunt Mountains got added which was a mix of snowy mountains, kerrans and The Wakening Lands theme. Pretty interesting idea as its location was not the continent of Velious but Odus instead. It was a bonus zone made for mid level PCs (like alts) but it did set new accents.

Pretty sure DPG is already working on a The Shadows of Luclin remake. How would such an expansion look like in my vision ? Three zones would be remakes and I would pick some that was popular back in the days and are directly connected on the world map (could be viewed in the Ultimate EverQuest World Map by Brewall Rainsinger). This is a really hard decision as three zones is not much and they should reflect the typical SoL creatures and atmosphere which was a mix of dark underground and sunlit outdoor zones. I would pick Dawnshroud Peaks (T1), Maiden's Eye (T2) and Akheva Ruins (T3 with raid content). Another trio could be Tenebrous Mountains, Grimling Forrest, Acrylia Caverns. Or Scarlet Desert, Twilight Sea and Fungus Grove for a less popular trio. Then I would add 3-4 new zones, one or two of them in LDoN style that would spice up the expansion with new stuff. It could be a cotterie vampire castle, a magic tower inhabited by evil sorcerers and elementals, a lost valley full of mad kerrans and their evil ghosts or a temple of a Seru sect with priests and paladins.

I think I can top this: An expansion with remakes of The Nexus + PoK + The Arena would own. The Arena would be a raid zone where players would raid each others.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Copy pasted geometry, even with a reskin are okay so long as that isn't ALL you get so I 100% agree with the point you make above, this game NEEDS some new sights, the essence of the Fantasy genre was largely based in seeing places you couldn't have imagined seeing before & EQ let us do that to some degree, seeing old zones is for sure nostalgic but it's definitely boring if you don't get any surprises thrown in with that.

I will also add I am already "Velious fatigued" and I haven't even played through ToV yet.

I would like to see a Luclin-themed expansion but I don't want it to be just a copy-paste with a rejigged mission set, it will need something unique to that expansion - and some new zones mixed in with some of the old hubs, new places to go from the Nexus, an outpost on Drinal long lost & now reconnected to allow us to explore Norrath's other moon (or some of it at least - with the rest only found a way to later on the follow up Luclin revisit part 2) perhaps.

Something connected to the Discordians, or maybe an expansion of the "universe" where we get a new perspective on their militaristic takeover of multiple worlds - some threat to their existence they were trying to fight off that's even worse & more terrifying than they were and that was why they wanted to bolster their forces by invading so many worlds to build an army to fight them off, something truly ancient - yeah the discordians are bad guys but their enemy forces us to align with them in some way fighting alongside the muramites, our former adversaries, to preserve the very fabric of the cosmos.
    Nniki likes this.
  4. Tegila Augur

itd be nice to see the "other planes" brought back, they werent especially accessible to groupers in the first place, most anyway as they were raid zones: ToB, Deathknell, devastation, arcstone, skylance, relic, posky sverag etc. some have been mentioned already: growth for example, and fear's been redone once, solteris shouldve been used in TDS but i dont think it was (i didnt play tds more than a week or so) i think i mentioned somewehre else, or here, that making previously raid-only zones from old expansions into some new expansion for groups and raids..like the Battle for Norrath or Civil War: Norrath or something war themed to make sense with the raid zones now being the norm etc. but theres a variety of really underused zones just because they were purely raid zones in their first iteration... and id add in at least anguish and theres your opportunity to do somethign epicy even if its turning your 2.0 into an aug for current weapons or something..the raid zones dont have to be just from "other planes"
    another remake i havent seen mentioned: natimbi barindu qvic txevu etc etc, several zones in that expac were also raid zones. For groupers, or those that grouped at the time, reusing old raid zones opens up parts of norrath they may never have seen before while still reusing content to save on time/dev requirements whatever, and just make some sorta hub like an alliance fort to go forth and fight said war from.
  5. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

EQ2 blew up Luclin, in fact it's the whole foundation of the game's Lore.

Didn't stop them from making an expansion this year that is based around going to Luclin. :)
    Svann2, Elyssanda and Skuz like this.
  6. Bobokin Augur

Everquest has FOUR version of Kael Drakkel.

I'd rather not have expacs going back to old content. Expand it, but don't just remake it again and again.
    Coagagin and Skuz like this.
  7. Sobmre Augur

and its not even a good zone, still has crappy pathing issues ect.
  8. Metanis Bad Company

You'll take the zones they give you and you'll like it.

(Sung to the theme of Pink Floyd's Another Brick in the Wall)!
  9. Aerocell New Member

I'd love to see them reuse some Underfoot zones. Those were visually beautiful.
    Tegila likes this.
  10. Jumbur Improved Familiar

If they really don't want to come up with new continents/planes/whatever, they could always take a good look at the old maps for places we haven't visited yet and make a "fragmented expansion" RoF/CotF-style.

Or lets us just attack the Discord homeworld...
    Skuz likes this.
  11. Szilent Augur

There is none, that's their whole deal
    Jumbur likes this.
  12. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Anyway, I too hope they find some new places to visit for future expansions. Nostalgia-milking is unimaginative and lacks creativity, and Im sure DPG can do better. :)
    Ssdar likes this.
  13. Sissruukk Rogue One

I wonder if we could get Goodurden to create some new zone maps for a future xpac...
  14. Kaenneth [You require Gold access to view this title]

Because we went back in time and destroyed it, starting the whole cycle.
  15. Nennius Curmudgeon

Metanis likes this.
  16. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I don't mind the remakes.

I do mind the incessant complaining about it.

Stop pretending you're a fickle bunch and just own up to the fact you're here until the bitter end.
    Metanis and Celephane like this.
  17. Lilura Augur

You do realize that they are splitting the expacs in two because they have virtually no staff left to do it all at once, right? Even with two releases they can't match the original release in terms of content

RoK: 24 zones, plus 10 levels, epics and a new race
    EoK :7 zones, half remakes
    RoS: 6 zones, 4 remakes, 5 new levels

SoV: 19 zones
    ToV: 7 zones, all remakes
    CoV: 6 zones

So whether they remake PoP or Luclin, it will have to be over two expansions
  18. Jumbur Improved Familiar

To be fair, a zone nowadays is vastly more detailed than back in 1999. Im willing to bet that even with improved editors/tools a "modern looking" zone is probably 5 times(or more) slower to make.
    They have dialed down on the "direct copy/paste" approach, and are at least trying to give the new zones a visual "touch-up". :)
    So I can understand the need to release the expansions in "2 halves".

My issue is more about the choice of setting for the expansions.
    Ssdar, Sancus, Yinla and 1 other person like this.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I don't think any of us are under any illusions about the size of expansions we should expect.

Unless we get a huge influx of cash from a stupidly successful EQ Classic for Android/IoS (something Runescape managed to do) or some super famous streamer decides to stream EQ for Shiz'n giggles & builds up a big influx of new players to EQ the team isn't going to be growing a lot any time soon.

A 2-parter Luclin or Luclin-themed expansion over 2 years is definitely on the list of "can be expected".
    And a certain amount of rehashed zones is okay as long as we still get something fresh along with it.

We've been getting 6 zone expansions, if 3 were rehashes of seen-before zones & 3 were completely new I'm gonna be mostly okay with that, 6 copies & nothing actually new or 5 copies & 1 new zone & I'm gonna feel like we got cheated.
    Ssdar, Jumbur and Elyssanda like this.
  20. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

CohhCarnage streamed EQ for almost a week when Aradune launched. Routinely had thousands of viewers. Lots of people subbed on TLP due to that.
    Skuz likes this.