Your longest break from Everquest...

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cicelee, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Cicelee Augur

Bored at the office. I have not logged om EQ since 10-11 because I am working a lot of overtime at work (yay hourly) and wife and I just closed today on our first house and have been packing the past month because she has a TON of stuff (should be an achievement for getting all this stuff in boxes for her).

So it got me thinking... what is the longest time you have gone in-between Everquest gaming sessions? I would think retirement breaks and vacations should not count- you don't go to Hawaii and play EQ. Well I hope you don't. And if you are quitting the game, theoretically you are not going to play until that itch comes back. No i am talking about how long have you gone where you could have played, but chose not to due to other things? If that makes sense...
  2. ptah Augur

Congrats on the house, the cheevement is making it a home.

For me, I have taken 2, 24 to 26 month breaks, and am currently on multi month break now.(As third break)

I do plan to return, and without playing I still think about EQ. So interest level is still there, but fun factor was lost.
    Rorce likes this.
  3. Hayzeus Augur

I log in once a week to refill a trader bot. I haven't logged in to go actively kill anything since.. CoTF briefly, but I think it was RoF that I was last regularly online.

The only reason I haven't cancelled completely is because I have one of those $199/2yr subscriptions, and I don't want to lose the discounted rates.

This game is just barely worth the $8 per month entertainment I get from selling trinkets to your toons.

Even then I wonder.
  4. The real Sandaormo Augur

Since I started playing I have not really ever taken a "break" from EQ. You're right I have had vacations and there's been a few days I haven't logged in because I as busy with or doing other stuff. I have technically never taken a break from EQ because I wanted to quit or didn't want to play anymore.

There was that Sony shut down of all of there games and I think that was like a Month, that would be the longest time without playing.
    Zolav likes this.
  5. Nadisia Augur

If I remember correctly, the longest break I took was about 2 years, when I was playing Vanguard SoH.

I have tried or played many MMOs over the years, a lot, and also got some Hack & Slash phases, but I was still playing EQ1 regularly.
    Sometimes as Free to Play / Silver, sometimes as All Access, but I never really left.

Vanguard SoH is the only game that took me away from EQ1 for long period, despite its ton of bugs and glitches :p
  6. minimind The Village Idiot

I started playing in the fall of 2000 during my first year in college. By winter 2001, I knew I had to stop. I didn't play again until the EQ Trilogy (Original/Kunark/Velious) package was offered as a free trial in winter 2005. So that's 4 years.

My next largest and most recent gap was about two years. I returned early last year.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Someone has a time machine !!!
  8. minimind The Village Idiot

I've been discovered! Time to change the past yet again!
    Dibab and Yinla like this.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Longest break was when the servers were shut down, other than that there has been upto 2 week breaks for vacations, even when I moved house one of the first things set up was the computer!

EQ is my main entertainment for the evenings much of the TV is rubbish so I prefer to go kill stuff with friends. I think this stems from when my daughter was young and I was stuck home with her on my own, EQ back then was my social life. :D I'd just log in for a chat and adult conversation even though most times it was silly conversations!
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Occasional days here and there.
  11. Svann2 The Magnificent

I cant understand the question. Why would I not play if I havent quit? Even those times when I had much OT I still managed to log in for a bit. If theres so much OT that there literally isnt time to login at all thats not healthy and I wont do it.

Longest I ever quit and came back was when I played Vanguard.

edit: ahh yea you bring up moving. that does make sense. cant login when the wife is busy packing. Wouldnt be prudent.
  12. Coagagin Guild house cat

Ever? Being deployed on and off again to the Middle East North Africa warfronts for a couple of years. Yeah we had some Internet access but in most cases spotty and limited length. Nothing damages a career like dispersing from your employer for a couple of years.

Today as a consultant I work in chunks of work called 'sprints'. Most sprints are pretty tame and well regulated. Others can bring your sanity near the brink. Been off since late September due to such a sprint. Too many people unable to show up to work, etc.

- Coag
    Nennius likes this.
  13. Nennius Curmudgeon

Thank you for serving.
    Corwyhn Lionheart, Dibab and Cicelee like this.
  14. Verily Tjark Augur

My wife isn't too fond of EQ. So when my wife faction gets too low I have to put it down for a bit.
    Cicelee likes this.
  15. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Easy solution: buy some no-faction potions from Amazon.
    Verily Tjark likes this.
  16. Nennius Curmudgeon

That has worked for me in the past. 34 years and still going strong.
  17. Karhar Dream Crusher

Til now can't say anything!
    Verily Tjark likes this.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Only 1 break but was for 7 years, a whole lot of personal & professional upheaval in that time that I won't bore you all with.

Enjoying the EverQuest TLP ride so far but not enjoying this pandemic one bit.
  19. Puckbone New Member

Started playing ~2000ish. My son wanted to play so I got him an account. I made a toon on his account and was hooked. Got my own account and then wife's account. We played together until 2004 when EQ2 came out. She jumped ship to EQ2, and I eventually followed her. My son quit before this. Then there was the game hack where it was unplayable for a few weeks(?). After it came back online, and after not being able to play at all during that time I toned down my play time from nearly every day to maybe 3 days per week when I wasn't working (I work weekends out of town). I would log on to EQ about once every couple of years, but after playing EQ2 I didn't even remember how to open doors at first...heh. Around last October or so after P99 opened up a new Green server, my son (remember him) wanted to play again so we started on there. He soon lost interest (kids...) but I kept playing. At this time I wasn't even playing EQ2 regularly--maybe log in once a week for maybe 2-4 hours. I got the bug again. I left a level 65 cleric (my old main) on live so I went back there and started a new druid with the idea of power-leveling him, which I am doing--he is ~62 now. But it's still nothing like the old days when we lived and breathed the stupid game. For me it was truly EverCrack! I expect I will still play on and off for as long as still exists. My wife and I got a lifetime membership when it was offered a year or so ago. With retirement on the near horizon (~2 more years) we may get back into it more--we'll see.
    /gets up off the couch and walks out the door.
    Skuz likes this.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Now that's commitment!