Achievements Ruined the Spirt of the Game

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by KrakenReality, Oct 26, 2020.

1. Incantatrice New Member

I appreciate the humor but I still don’t understand why you deem collections as mandatory and not optional? There is no content locked behind completion of collections. Collections give you access to (1) trophies and (2) a stronger Rallos Zek earring. Neither of these are required to see or experience every thing that EQ has to offer (except you won’t be able to request the single-group Kael quick mission at the end of the earring quest).

The reality is that there is nothing in EQ forcing you to do them to keep playing the entirety of EQ, making them the very definition of optional (in my book)!
  2. Nadisia Augur

Ok, I see your point of view.
    And it's maybe me after all hehe :)

But for the earring, this time, I decided to follow the quest, step by step, without reading any major spoiler on the progression and questline.
    I was doing each step slowly, at my own pace, and then, for the 6th step ... *splotch* here we go again, spinachs :D .

At this point, only 2 options :
    • Give up, stop at this step, but stay with an unfinished quest :(
    • Take it upon yourself, eat the slimy spinachs and complete this boredom
    So yeah, technically, it's not mandatory, the earring quest itself is not mandatory, but if you want to complete the questline, it becomes mandatory.

And well, nothing is mandatory after all, not even the progression.
    You can buy the expansion, and stay in Eastern Wastes for ever , killing ghosts, ghouls, orcs and skellies in conflagrant gear. :)

Maybe I'm too much of a purist, or just an old fart trapped by a DeLorean around year 2K, and playing Everquest to kill mobs, complete quests, read some lore, try to decypher what this damned coldain dude is telling me (with an accent worse than my irish grand mother).
    I'm prolly a weirdo, but for me, collect hundreds of shinies like mad has nothing to do with Everquest. ;)
    And it makes me sad when this activity locks my progression for something completely different.

But hey, I'll adapt ... or just leave if one day it becomes too intrusive.
    (You know, like this «other unmentionned game» with its crapload of alternate unenjoyable timelocked activities and messy/unbearable systems) :p
    Incantatrice likes this.
  3. Vumad Cape Wearer

lol
  4. Captain Video Augur

Gerbils no way! I run with the hamsters. You can keep your spiffy mounts, I go with server speed. Oh wait...
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  6. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Those are the best ones...

Picking up a bunch of junk off the ground (or more likely buying them from the Bazaar/Overseer) isn't an achievement.
    Merely zoning into every zone isn't an achievement.
    Mass killing 10,000 level 5 mobs isn't an achievement.

Executing flawlessly IS an achievement.
    Tying one hand behind your back and still winning IS an achievement.
  7. Svann2 The Magnificent

Shrug. You think it should be removed as an option because its not something you want to do?
    Duder likes this.
  8. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Sounds like renaming "Achievements" to "Things You Could Do" might be an easy fix.
    Winnowyl, Yinla and Duder like this.
  9. code-zero Augur

I recently saw someone complain about the term tank and thought that we should call them attention grabber or aggro controller. I concluded that threads like this are the same sort of thing, people aren't going to be happy happy till they aren't happy and they'll look for ways to be unhappy
  10. KrakenReality Augur

No, the issue lies within the presentation.
  11. Duder Augur

So you want them to remove the way of keeping track of your progress? You prefer it be like the Seer in PoK for Planes of Power progression? Bonkers!

Sums it up well.
    Nennius, Sissruukk and Celephane like this.
  12. Vanrau Augur

Achievements are a form of content now when you can't pump out the amount of content that you want. It gives the completionists something to do to hold onto their subs a little longer. If you can come up with some sort of game design that holds onto subs a little longer with little to no effort involved, we're all ears.
  13. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

That's okay. There are plenty of other games out there for you to not enjoy.
    Duder likes this.
  14. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Again with the 'If you don't enjoy the game the same way I do then you're flat-out wrong' attitude.

What is it about the unhappy hordes that makes them want to drag everyone down with them?
  15. KrakenReality Augur

Thanks, you want my stuff?
  16. KrakenReality Augur

Yes, I would vastly prefer an "in character" type of check versus "out of character" style spreadsheet. I just couldn't imagine sitting down for a DnD session or opening up BG2 and BG3 and being give a checklist of everything I need to do. Then, not only having this checklist but having to reference it frequently for poorly implemented features such as challenger, collections, hunter.

There should always be some sort of "in-character" check, whether it's through a compendium, lore master, item, etc. It's about adding game flavor.
  17. Sissruukk Rogue One

The Seer character check was...confusing, cryptic, didn't help you out much on figuring out what you had/had not done, who to hail, etc. Sure, you could do PoP in order, but if you missed a hail, you'd have no idea who to go talk to again to get back on track. People actually had to come up with out of game checklists to get it all figured out (Alkabor's to name one iirc). A checklist in game makes it easier to keep track of all of that now. You can follow what quests need to be done for progression, etc.

No one is forcing you to open up the achievement window and follow along. You can still do your thing without it.
    Celephane and Yinla like this.
  18. Nennius Curmudgeon

How about this.

Your character has completed no achievements for one month.

Your character has completed no achievements for three months.

Your character has completed no achievements for six months.

And so on,

Eventually, the OP could achieve the exalted title of

Grandmaster, or mistress if you prefer, of NO ACHIEVEMENT
    code-zero, Herodotus and Duder like this.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

An achievement for no achievements?
    Svann2 and Duder like this.
  20. Duder Augur

I'm curious as to how much EQ you have participated in to get a perspective context. Because I feel like you are criticizing a system you have little experience with in a game that you have little experience with. Also, what was poorly implemented about challenger, collections, and hunters?

You know how there is that flavor of jelly bean that no one likes? Your ideas are that flavor.
    Koryu and Flatchy like this.