EQ2 has announced their new expansion which includes a new playable race.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Benito, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

New playable race on EQ2. This may fuel calls for new classes and races on EQ1 but we've reached our limit.

2. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Happy for EQ2 players and proud of the EQ2 team. Awesome work.
    minimind, Bardy McFly and Benito like this.
  3. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

I wonder what the office pool at Darkpaw was for how long it would take for a post on the EQ1 board to happe following this announcement.
    Elyssanda and Benito like this.
  4. SwordandShield Lorekeeper

Imagine if EQ could get a AA revamp!
    Ceiteag, Gyurika Godofwar and Benito like this.
  5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I did it before someone does a 10 page dissertation on why EQ1 should get a new playable race.
    jeskola and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  6. KrakenReality Augur

Super cool, they got a new race but I don’t think races are really that important anymore. Illusions and the permanent illusion AA make it essentially a new race. I’m basically in Illusions all the time anyways.

Plus, we’re so far from a home city mattering that a new race wouldn’t add enough of a lower end population required for the groups. Easier just to sell a new character skin through a heritage crate or collector’s edition. If, they did it though the 25th or 30th anniversary would be ideal time.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

That looks aweful. :eek:

EQ gets posts asking for new races/classes all the time, most have accepted it isn't possibe.
  8. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Like that'll stop the other 54 posts over the next week as others see the EQ2 expansion...
    Benito likes this.
  9. KrakenReality Augur

There’s only 1 person on this board that posts the EQ2 information. Nobody, pays attention to what EQ2 does.
    Ceiteag and Kaenneth like this.
  10. Leed New Member

I found out about the EQ1 expansion via a post on the EQ2 forums. Now I find out EQ2 announced theirs via a post on the EQ1 forums. :confused:
    Benito likes this.
  11. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Lots just saw it... there will be more new posts, not just replies to this one.
  12. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I will only post if each game gives a free Heroic Character or bundle. Unfortunately, many people burn through each game's expansion at an unbelievable rate so they either look elsewhere or take a big break. It is better to keep the interest and support in the studio (where folks have transferable and expendable Krono) by highlighting a sister game's promo from time to time.
    Tatanka likes this.
  13. Elskidor Augur

/waves

Not entirely true. I play on their TLE, but it would take a lot more than just a new playable race to convince me to try their live servers again. I will be paying attention to see what else this expansion brings but I'm not holding my breath.

Oh, and Benito regularly talks about EQ1 in the EQ2 forums and I am pretty certain hardly any of them play EQ1 or even care.
  14. Leed New Member

Bit different here and there though - here, given enough time, you always end up with all the AAs. Over there you have to pick and choose which ones you want active - you can't have them all active at the same time. That makes it more important that all AAs are valuable in some way - or nobody will pick them and they might as well not exist.
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Well, you're here.

I only bring up EQ1 if it supports an academic point. Unlike EQ1, there's quite a bit of angst and personal vendettas on the EQ2 forums. Some folks always attribute changes on EQ2 to negative or nefarious purposes. For instance, the changes to EQ2 itemization with standardized stats actually mirrors EQ1's itemization. My arguments have effectively quashed conspiracy theory making there.
    Elskidor likes this.
  16. Absor Developer

Not true. I do.
    Metanis, Tatanka, Bobokin and 8 others like this.
  17. KermittheFroglok Augur

So, new races are off the table, but can we get new heritages for existing races? (e.g. Drakkin have them, why not other races for purely cosmetic traits?)

For example, could we get a Coldain variant of Dwarves or a Kerran variant of Vah Shir? Same stats, just slightly different models or skin hues? Just brainstorming out of jealously.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  18. Captain Video Augur

Well hang on a sec, the new EQ2 race is Vah Shir... how do we know how much artwork was "borrowed" from EQ1 and how much is original? It's not like they had to do the whole thing from scratch. And is EQ2 getting its own Vah Shir questline, with lore, from level 1? That would be the difference-maker to me.
  19. SwordandShield Lorekeeper

I don't want to come off as being sardonic. I will meet you partway by saying most AA are valuable ( there are many truly useless AA), but the change I would like is that all AA should add a meaningful upgrade with a consideration of the cost of the AA. Mages currently have 189 ranks of Companion's Fury, Shadow Knights get 160 ranks of Companion's Fortification, and there over 90 ranks of Burst of Power for multiple classes. Many ranks (especially toward the end) add 1% additional damage or improvement. So while there are a lot of valuable AA, I argue that there aren't a lot of meaningful AA. Side note, I consider all non-defensive AA as "icing on the cake" as most defensive AA are required not to instantly die, while taking longer to kill something isn't always that bad (all things considered).
  20. Bardy McFly Augur

EQ2 assets have virtually no overlap with EQ1. They don't get a freebee from EQ1 lol. It's free for you to go download EQ2 and you can see what a drastically different art direction it is. It's also quite a good game in a lot of different ways if you get bored sometime.