Developers - New zones for expansion

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Hogwilld, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Not a fan of underwater zones in any form and agree half water half land is very buggy.
  2. Hogwilld Elder

I think it is great that sharks can keep aggro on people even after you left the water.

99% is a good estimate. Got 80 people on in my guild and one sick person said they like it.
  3. Vizier Augur

The people defending water zones sound more like people that just like to argue any niche position because they like to argue period. Fk water zones, we all hate them.
    Kaenneth likes this.
  4. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Only water zone i dont like is kedge its just to small. i liked caverns of endless songs though and others.

Andarriel
    Jennre likes this.
  5. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

We need diversity and different flavors. Personally, I am sick of snow zones.

Katta Castrum (not Deluge version) and the water side of the TBL zones (Esianti waterfalls, Aalishai tide pools, Mearatas rooms) shows what can be possible by using water architecture and not water mechanics.
  6. Svann2 The Magnificent

Also, remove faerune. this isnt wow
    JK
    :)
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I'd like to be able to turn off ultavision. Some zones are too bright.
  8. Sagarmatha Augur

WRONG!

Just because YOU hate water zones does not mean "99%" of players hate water zones.
    Skuz, Elskidor and Duder like this.
  9. Sissruukk Rogue One

I hate water zones because:
    1) I'm a dwarf, and as stated before, you have to toss me into the water. Now, if the water were replaced with ale, then I'd go for a swim.
    2) I hate water navigation. I can't do it 3rd person, and as 1st person I often can't see what I am supposed to be attacking (or what is attacking me) because most of the time the mob is above/below me, so I spend a minute spinning around, looking up and down, etc., trying to find the stupid mob.
    Skuz and Broozer like this.
  10. Velisaris_MS Augur

You know you could pilot a lot of the boats in original EQ (maybe Kunark as well)...just hop in and "drive" them.
  11. Broozer Augur

Thank you. #2 is a legit matter. I do think additional obstacles like that should lead to incentivization. Otherwise why would people bother?
  12. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Excluding hyperbole I do think most folks dislike water zones. Not all by any means but it is probably fair to say most don't like them.

Great subject for a Daybreak poll though.
  13. Hogwilld Elder

Agree lets do an official poll since there are a few people out of the 10k? that play the game saying I am wrong. ;)
  14. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Advanced lighting, each and every zone it's either necessary because the view is too dark or it hurts your eyes because it makes the view too bright & nothing inbetween, and a couple zones have above ground/below ground where you have both situations (Respendent Temple in VoA)

I wish there were a /ALIG on and /ALIG off command so you could easily toggle between them or they were automatic based on the amount of light/dark a zone had.
  15. Xerzist Augur

I don't mind them. People just mad cause bad :p
  16. Sakuraba Augur

Enduring Breath and max swimming skill make water zones not a big issue...

I'd like some more expansions with mid-level adventures too though. Hell, doesn't even have to be an expansion - could be something like the GUs on EQ2 that add a zone or three in between expansion droughts.
  17. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

No one likes water zones or water in zones.

Now, make pathing not be terrible AND make targeting/line-of-sight such that I can actually hit a mob with toes in the water or when we're both half in/out of the water, and maybe it'll be okay. But since I know DPG won't do that stuff, I would also /veto any water zones.

Now, this thread was necessary 8 months ago. Most likely, the zones for CoV are already VERY much set in stone and all this whining we're doing is literally for no reason except to waste our own time.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I see this request pop up a fair bit, typically from TLP players who've done the TLP thing a few times.

Legacy of Ykesha did exactly this as did some of the past zone "revamps" like Mistmoore, Temple of Cazic Thule, Droga & Nurga, and more recently Gnome Memorial Mountain -added to celebrate EverQuest's 20th Anniversary.

I don't think the TLP servers have increased the number of players to the point that they have increased generated income enough yet to justify development time for some new mid-levels zones being added in but if the TLP population continues to grow we might get to that point.

For now at least I would prefer the live expansions to be the main focus of new content development, once they can do that AND a few extra lower level zones that the TLP servers could enjoy then maybe it would be a good idea, but those lower zones should never come at the cost of live content in my opinion, the past few expansions are too small already at around 6-8 zones, most of which are retextured versions of existing zones.
    If the game & consequently the team can be grown organically then maybe this is something we can get in the future though once the team have the requisite resouces available.
  19. Sakuraba Augur

That is true. What DPG really needs, for both games tbh, is a healthier team.

I also wish we would get stuff like TSS and Alaris again where had more new additions to the world. The revisits are kinda nice, but since most have gone on for 2 expansions I think they're starting to overstay their welcome.

EQ1 side you guys got 2 Kunark expacs and 2 Velious expacs (counting the new one). EQ2 got 1 Kunark, 2 PoP revistits and now they're looking at a second Luclin revisit.

Dunno if the Faydwer expac for EQ1 really counts as a revisit since its new areas.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

I think I would really enjoy a Luclin themed EQ "nostalgia era" expansion or two but after that I think we really need to get some truly fresh & original content. Though maybe instead of going back to Luclin we could go forwards to Drinal

There's some interesting info compiled in the following link:

https://everquestshow.com/2019/08/14/the-ro-system-norraths-solar-system/