Developers - New zones for expansion

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Hogwilld, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Hogwilld Elder

Just an FYI if you don't know this already. Players HATE water zones.

That is all.
    Gyurika Godofwar and cadres like this.
  2. Hogwilld Elder

Double down on this. Developers who are designing the water zones should also know that players will not appreciate your work.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You don't speak for everyone, I have enjoyed many water zones.

The reason they are disliked so much is how movement in water in EQ is janky, targetting is Janky - getting into melee range is awkward as the targetting reticule is on the "floor", z-axis operating in eq in janky or useless & autofollow is an absolute freaking nightmare in water so boxing in water zones is pretty overally horrible.

On top of all that moving between land & water is where EQ pathing often becomes completely & utterly malevolent, even more than it normally is.

Make auto follow work as well as that "certain 3rd party program" and I think water zones would become a lot less hated, though many issues would remain.
  4. Nadisia Augur

Same as Skuz, I like water zones.
    I main a melee class (SK), and on top of that, I'm boxing, so it's sometimes «worse» for me.

The only water zone I didn't really like : Caverns of Endless Song (TDS).

And not really because it's a water zone, but because it's «a bit of water, then some dry corridors/tunnels/caves, then water again, then dry ... » etc.
    Annoying. So yeah :
    Exactly why I didn't like CoES.

But as long as it doesn't change all the time, I'm fine underwater :)

And if they don't give me at least a little bit of water zone with some pretty sirens , I guess I'll sulk . Booooo :(
    Siren's Grotto ftw !!! (people will hate me lol)
    Skuz likes this.
  5. ZenMaster formless, shapeless

There is a difference between actual water zones (Kedge Keep, Plane of Water) and water-themed zones (Katta Castrum, Sarith).

A likely water zone of the future will be Loruella (Home of the Ondine) for TBL Part 2 or anniversary zone. I would love to see Loruella come to fruition.
    Skuz likes this.
  6. Hogwilld Elder

Well 99% of the players hate water zones.
    Hellowhatsyourname likes this.
  7. Pwetti Durn'Stwung Elder

That's not true water zones for me brought a refreshing new way to explore. Now if you're talking back in the day with server lag etc I can see that. In current days it should be enjoyable. I just hope the dev's put in see invis chokepoints check mobs so player can't just invis and explore the whole zone at level 1. Just like in Lower/upper guk you could not just invis to your group unless a group has cleared the way of mobs. Takes away the risk and fun of the earlier expansions.
  8. Nniki Augur

We just need a few of these to make everything better:
    [IMG]
  9. Benito EQ player since 2001.

1. Very scientific observation.

2. Does your forum Avatar (cat) hint at hydrophobia?
    Vumad, Gyurika Godofwar, Skuz and 2 others like this.
  10. Duder Augur

Where do you get your numbers? I like water zones. Kedge is a great zone, though I wish it were bigger and even more windy. I am looking forward to a Hardcore Heritage Kedge Keep.
    Skuz likes this.
  11. Elskidor Augur

I only play in water zones so it's been a rough couple decades in EQ. I'm going to have to request that the next expansion be water only. Thank you.
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Febb Augur

I like water zones. I like a challenge and don't like everything to be so easy mode all the time.
    Duder and Skuz like this.
  13. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Hyperbole.
    Skuz likes this.
  14. Act of Valor The Newest Member

It's not even that, he's just making things up to prove his case.
    Gyurika Godofwar, Duder and Skuz like this.
  15. Nadisia Augur

:D
    • Cats
    • Dwarves ... well, you know, we have to literally throw them in the water to make them take a bath
    • Ogres , cuz I bet most swim like an anvil :p
    Gyurika Godofwar and Zamiam like this.
  16. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Ogres have a particularly large cavity (located inside their skull) which makes them float on water fairly easily.
  17. Nadisia Augur

Rofl, good one.
    You mean ... like a fishing bobber?

mental vision of an ogre bouncing like a buoy :D
    minimind and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  18. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Ogres swim really well, big powerful bodies & huge lung capacity, you see how well whales can swim & dive, well ogres are the bipedal whales :)

All that fat on us makes us capable of arctic swimming too, you skinny small ones would freeze to death so fast, and then we have ice pops.
    minimind and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  19. Nadisia Augur

«Bipedal whales»
    Please, stop, you'll make me shed tears ... of laughter btw .

I love this EQ community, seriously :p
  20. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I don't hate water zones, but I do find half water and half land annoying.

1. Bugged mobs which cannot decide if they are in or out the water. :rolleyes:
    2. Floating to the surface dispite looking down!
    3. Mobs above me being out of reach yet they can hit me!
    4. Tunnels which with object that jump out and grab hold of you!
    5. When I stop I still keep moving, which messes up my spells
    Gyurika Godofwar and Nadisia like this.