DPG - 6 months in classic + kunark is too much

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by wade_watts, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

That one was mostly aimed at allowing Berserkers & Beastlords at the start of a new TLP, but yeah the level-locking I proposed for the early expansions may well not be something that can be done easily or would take too much time to do for just 1 server (sadly).

If you are interested in the idea / unlock schedule by all means take a look at it - > https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/god-mode-tlp.268452/page-3#post-3948472
  2. Xeris Augur

I agree that classic/Kunark 6 months is too long. But also agree that this TLP formula is very clearly proven to be effective for DBG so they have little incentive to change it.

I've been more busy IRL and just haven't had time to play on Aradune much since Kunark dropped, but also I'm just not into classic/Kunark too much after grinding it rlly hard on Agnarr.

Also you have to consider, there are people who specifically love the early TLP grind. It's partially why TLPs are the most populous around this time... Some people have done the classic/Kunark grind on every single TLP for years and years.
  3. vylo Augur

Kunark should be combined with velious IMO. There isn't enough in Kunark for its own month. Classic at least has everyone starting from scratch that uses up some time.
  4. Blart Lorekeeper

I'd prefer 1 year for each expansion. There are so many low level quests that I don't get around to because I'm caught up in hitting max level for the next xpac
    Overcast451 likes this.
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

That wouldn't really be a TLP server as it would never catch up to live & so nobody that was playing on it would ever become an expansion buying customer.

The only way that you could do this and satisfy the business needs would be if each & every expansion had to be paid for each year for every account before you could access any content in it. So it wouldn't be a TLP but a "Live Re-Run" server.
    Tymeless likes this.
  6. Machen New Member

Pretty sure that is the only difference.
  7. Machen New Member

The problem with this is that if PoR is the "end zone" expansion, people will have to do those raids as top priority. I'd rather raid dodh 1000x more than PoR, but you'd be stuck doing DoDH and DON raids as side shows scheduled around raiding deathknell.
    Skuz likes this.
  8. Ezra Journeyman

The current schedule gives players who didn't start the server on day one (like myself) a chance to catch up and prepare for the other expansions.
    Overcast451 likes this.
  9. Bewts Augur

Almost every expansion has this long tailed attrition; and it was worse when certain servers didn’t have instanced content at all.

The trick they haven’t figured out is to unlock by levels and not just expansion.

Unlock Kunark, Velious and Luclin all at the same time and see how busy you are for 3 months when ya first need to conquer Kunark to unlock Velious raid targets, and Velious to unlock Luclin raid targets.

That’s the trick to defeating attrition; and ya just might want 6 months at 60 to allow for server consumption of all the content.
    Tymeless likes this.
  10. sieger Augur

They aren't interested in defeating attrition, it is financially much more beneficial for them for all the cyclers to reroll in classic every year.

Additionally what kills servers is progression, not unlock speed. PoP will generally be the peak of any TLP in terms of raiding guilds and "serious" players (the first month of classic is usually the peak of logged in players as huge swarms of casuals log in), every expansion after PoP the population will reduce. This pattern has followed for every TLP since 2015, with differing rates of attrition and differing unlock schedules, but the trend is pretty obvious.
  11. vylo Augur

Considering selo had 10 weeks at lvl 60 and started with Luclin, and people got finished and bored fast, I don't think you will want 6 months of anything.

With regular speed lock outs, there isn't any expansion I've seen that warrants more than 2 months. Some barely need 2 weeks. You could honestly have a regular lockout TLP 1 month progression and still run out of things to do in many expansions.
  12. Accipiter Old Timer

Hmmm... I hadn't thought about it like that. Perhaps you are right. Max subscriptions and max krono sales drive the schedule, not player wishes.
    Skuz likes this.
  13. Lejaun Augur

I don't mind it being six months. It gives everyone plenty of time to develop their character, test out different ones to see what they want to play in the long run, and lets people level up very quickly or at a very casual pace and get fully geared.

I'm the type of player that tends to level up to max within a week or two, but I still greatly appreciate not having to feel rushed if I decided to take it slower.
    Ezra likes this.
  14. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Classic and Kunark especially have many drops that people sell for Krono, Those who level up the first week often fund their live server play this way. More Krono sales and more live server players factor into this. The longer unlock time gives more casual players the opportunity to own items they've never owned before. longer unlocks allow for more experimentation with class preference. It also means more obtainable shadowknight epics, etc. More people with buffbot alts, also, can not be a bad thing.

Rushed unlocks benefit fewer players on a server more and kinda suck if you're not able to be on the front of the wave.
    Overcast451 and Ezra like this.
  15. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Not in quantity of content, but how many bottleneck / perma camped mobs. The longer unlock gives more players a shot at loot tables / rare NPCs for epicing, etc. People are much more inclined to stick with it if they've epiced their SK I think. More would quit if they never got a chance in era because one guild perma camped a key or mob.
  16. Xhartor Augur

No, hell no
  17. HoodenShuklak Augur

Isn't there a non trivial amount of players that don't want to hop though? I definitely agree that pump and dump tlp is a cash cow, but I can quickly think of a handful of friends that I think would have stayed on a longterm tlp with good rules and population - which may be a longer term goal and each tlp is simply another trial.

The only mature servers right now, sans phinny, I would argue have poor rules... coirnav had slow xp which killed it, miragul was just a non player calling shots, and then there is selo which was a dual launch and likely too fast for most casuals. Mangler is the next one up and being the closest to phinny might be a good study.
  18. wade_watts Augur

Lots of good guesses in this thread. There were actually two correct answers, either being acceptable...
    • Aradune clone with 8 week unlocks in Classic / Kunark / Velious
    • Aradune clone with 8 week unlocks with Classic + Kunark open at launch.
  19. CellRx New Member

Are y'all ever happy? lol. You're talking about two months of difference. Make an alt, help a friend, read a book. My lord. Every time I read the forums, it's filled with "You missed the mark", "I'll never play again", "OP Class X"...

My solution... don't use the "modern enhancements" if it's a detriment to your game play. For example....
    - you are LFG and there are 15 picks open. Wait in line in the main pick, just like the good ole days.... Guarantee you change your tune right quick :)
    Ezra likes this.
  20. Raytheon Augur