If You Were a Dev, What Would You Have Done Differently?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lockdown, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Bigstomp Augur

I think the focus between raid and group is a mess. I would like to see new group gear = old raid gear. So in my ideal world, ToV group content would have dropped TBL raid gear.
    And next expansion would drop ToV raid gear.

So returning players wouldn't have to deal with 'I can't upgrade my arms because cleave even though their ancient'
  2. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

There's some good stuff in this thread I wont repeat.

What I would do differently, might mean the game didn't make it as far and wasn't as successful as it is. I don't know if it really helped to make these changes, but I think these really changed EQ for the worse. If I could go back, I wouldn't have:
    • Added Krono
    • Made EQ F2P
    I think both of these changed behavior in the player community in a negative way. It happened slowly over time.
  3. Questoften32 Augur

EQ Sharp Cereal Professor: Nope...there's nothing wrong here. :)
  4. Cicelee Augur

I wonder if they have an end game in mind. Not everything lasts forever, and you don't like it when your favorite TV show jumps the shark. Or father time defeats your favorite athlete, yet s/he is still hanging onto a decade ago.

I guess I would have a plan to end the game. Go out with a bang and not a whimper.
  5. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I would have made regular updates to the client and server in order to keep the game up to date technology wise. for example a new render, or more efficient use of modern hardware, like multi-thread support. Who knows how limited the devs are when designing new expansions, because of the obsolete architecture?

I would also, when I add new technology to the game, make an effort to make older expansions use the new technology: We could have had old ldons running on the modern HA-system for example, or the old original quests "ported" to the current quest system(rather than the mess with adventures, tasks, quests, flags, etc, we have now)... This would have made the game much easier to maintain, and open the possibility to fix old bugs.

I would probably also rethink the whole emote-system. "show, don't tell" also goes for game design, just think what they could accomplish with actual sound-effects and animations instead...:)
  6. Bobokin Augur

I see many good ideas, and some I don't think are so good, but I'll focus on other things.

1. I would not have changed Riposte and other long standing skills.

2. I would have had twice the levels and not had such power creep.

3. Cons would be a much more accurate reflection on difficulty.

4. I would have placed a much greater emphasis an immersive gameplay. More world building and less hack and slash would have been nice. By world building, I do not mean literal Mindcraft type world building but more GM event and player interaction with the world and its lore.

5. Different size raids for different quality loot.

6. Adventure zones that would not allow CoH, rez, or similar ways to get through them. They may take days to complete and have great loot or bonuses at the end.

7. All housing zones would have been attached to city or town zones instead of the guild lobby. Each would be a different type and have a different layout and style to match the city location. Each would be able to be accessed via the PoK portal to each city or zone. They would look more like a medieval village than a 1950 Levittown. Each would have its own bazaar.

8. I would not have allowed all players to start in CR. I would have also upgraded and revamped the original starting locations.

9. I would have included many more housing types and guild halls.

10. Some zones in each expansion would have been PvP and would have had benefits for holding a flag location. This would have included castles to take and hold as guild halls perhaps.

11. On at least some servers, guilds would have race/religion limitations. PoK would be redone as separate zones with KOS guards for enemy races.

12. Characters should have had many more face and hair choices from the start. Even if they were not done at launch, why limit the database?
  7. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

You are right, they both did quite change how and who, but also both added financials that keep the game alive.

The worst possible quality of life change would be a sunset.
    Sissruukk and Nennius like this.