Odd behavior from aggro spells: Paladin

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Chaosflux, Oct 12, 2020.

1. Chaosflux Augur

Hi there fellow adventurers.

So I've been gone for like a year or two, came back recently on the Miragul server and was noticing some anomalous behavior from paladin aggro spells, at first I thought It was just not playing right, wondering if i missed a change perusing the last 2 years of patch notes.

Let me set the scene, I had this happen in Resplendent Temple, COTF HAs, and some other assorted zones.

I pull a mob with Crush or even Crush/Force of Disruption and if j am behind my bard box (who's singing) the mob stops following me and attacks her

Also noticed the same thing when a friend playing a necro cast snare as the mob was inc it would run towards him.

If I jumped inside melee range I popped to the top of aggro immediately, but if not it would take another spell cast to pull aggro off the bard or necro.

Last time I played I dont recall anything with a hate override every being insufficient to snap aggro even if i dragged the mob over a group mate or they were closer in proximity to the merb.

So did I miss some goofy prox aggro change or something else? Has anyone else noticed weird aggro behavior?

Using the level 92 crush (which has significant hate override) and force of disruption 6 (7500 hate) really wondering why that's happening?
  2. sojero One hit wonder

Sounds like you are fighting undead. they have special agro rules, and this is normal for them.
  3. Chaosflux Augur

Live mobs too

It's not always consistent, but it was fairly reproducible on Nitore (Alarans) and the Gorals (not sure body type) In RT, I too thought maybe it was an undead thing at first, or just a not playing right.

Bard isnt super low level (94 when this happened) so wasnt low level frenzy radius increase. So unsure, if people havent noticed anything goofy I'll just keep on trucking and try and see if it's on my end, though it shouldn't be based on the spells I am using? I'd think.
  4. sojero One hit wonder

From eqshadowknight.net Wyrdlan:

"There's the normal humanoid type rules. Then there's undead rules that weight prox agro much higher, and then there's the animal rules that give more weight to prox agro (but not as much as undead)"

Still the same as back then, afaik

so the animal would be the same. Not sure about the alarans. You are pulling with the right tools, just don't pull past your boxes.

I have not been seeing any issues with agro on sk or pally.
  5. Skaara New Member

This is great information but I am curious, does that mean that proximity aggro ignores hate list until a target comes into proximity?

So if we use the above then when he casts Crush of Oseka he would generate ~10000 aggro (plus or minus with initial hate and spell damage) and the Bard singing should generate initial hate cap aggro which is 300.

So the proximity aggro is overriding or negating ~9700 aggro and causing the mob to chase down a target not at #1 on the hate? If he were to toss in FoDisruption then this would make proximity aggro even more powerful.
  6. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

7. sojero One hit wonder

8. sojero One hit wonder

So I went and tested with the pally in RT.

For animals:
    No matter what spell i cast, be it crush (tested with and without bold attacks and breath mod) if you go behind the bard as soon as the song ticks and hits the pally it will get agro, and the further behind the bard you are, the higher the agro (used agro meter to see). If you cast spell + fod it negates this. Looks like animals don't care about inital agro vs prox agro, but 2 will keep the bard at 1.

for the alarans I could not replicate, agro worked as normal, on a crush cast only the agro always stayed at 1 on bard and they ran right past it.
  9. sojero One hit wonder

Meant to say be it crush or any dd, tested with both.
  10. Chaosflux Augur

Well in the meantime I am going to get that disease staff click, I'll just tag with that then crush. Weird stuff.
  11. sojero One hit wonder

It is kind of weird as it didn't happen on the mosquitoes below or the undead. but every single animal type mob at the top in RT did it.

Honestly, make a hot bar of agro stuff so that it does crush/stun + FoD on a key (E), I also have reprove divine call (this one can be problematic in certain cases) and more agro spells on the E key, so all I need to do is press that and it does them in order of up time. that will take care of that problem for you, and doesn't lock you in like a hot button would so you can shift mid fight if you need without worry.