Selo 2.0 in 2021

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by a_librarian, Oct 8, 2020.

1. a_librarian Augur

Selo was fun and they should do a fresh one. Maybe 6 week unlocks and double loot instead of/in addition to halved lockouts. and I guess do a Velious start instead of Luclin just because
  2. Tweakfour17 Augur

Double xp, Double loot, half lockouts, 6 week unlocks and velious/luclin start? I'd be tempted
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

From what I have read I would say 8 week unlocks would work best for a Selo 2.0 - at least in terms of retention of a significantly larger number of players - pitching it more squarely between the standard TLP model with its scheduled 12wk before pop & 12wk/8wk after PoP and the "fast" Selo 1.0 schedule of 4 weeks. But starting with just 4 weeks of classic.

Double loots would probably be preferable to halved (or reduced) lockouts (was done for Undefoot only so far) - the problem with that is that doubling the loot requires a dev to do a great deal of research to check & confirm loots for each and every expansion prior to making the changes so I suspect that halved or at least reduced lockouts would be the way they had to go due to resource constraints.

I would also launch LDoN after 4 weeks of PoP rather than after 8 it really does not warrant an 8 week run on its own, doing the same with OoW/DoN & DoDH/PoR because that level 70 stretch needs to be compacted that much in the view of many players who've been through it on Live &/or TLP once or more already.

So in my opinion the best Selo 2.0 schedule would look like this:

EQ - 4wk
    RoK - 8wk
    SoV - 8wk
    SoL - 8wk
    PoP + LoY - 4wk
    LDoN - 4wk
    GoD - 8 wk
    OoW - 4wk
    DoN - 4wk**
    DoDH - 4wk
    PoR - 4wk
    TSS - 8wk
    everything else 8 wks

**(around when next TLP opens)
  4. Thez69 Elder

the 4s and 8s need to be based on something tangible tho, not just i like gates so its 8, oow is a bit lacking in content so its 4

6 across the board or a 8/4 schedule to replaces the 12/8 currently overused
  5. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You might be misunderstanding why I set Omens & Depths at 4 weeks, the reason is that DoN that follows it is really a small/thin on content expansion & is more a supplement to OoW that a fully-fledged expansion that stands on it's own merits..

The same can be said of PoR in relation to how it stacks up against DoDH.

So really what is there is 8 weeks of OoW with DoN available during its last 4 weeks & 8 Weeks of DoDH with PoR available for its last 4 weeks

I did that rather than releasing Omens & DoN together or DoDH & PoR together since in both cases guilds raided Omens as well as DoN & they did the same later on still raiding DoDH as well as PoR.

Hope that explains it better why I suggested those unlocks at the 70 range.
  6. Protagonist Tank

Just go to a fan server and ask them to set you max level with all gear then quit. You'll get the same experience.
  7. HoodenShuklak Augur

Let's change the paradigm... no more blanket unlocks that sound easy... make unlocks 4 to 8 weeks depending on the actual content being released!

Not all expacs are crested equally.
    Duality likes this.
  8. Duality Augur

4 or 8 weeks based on content would be ideal for me. Selo increased rares or even more than that up to TSS. Ditch true box somewhere between Gates and DoDh. 71 base velocity for everyone.

Free VP key drops when you zone in to those places. Just to avoid that yearly fire storm.

Two ST DZ options permanently.

Play nice policy. :D
  9. Deathstroke Journeyman

Selo's and Rizlona combined would be my preference.

There's a lot of people, who play this game- a lot.

Selo's isn't too fast as far as expansions unlock. It still takes over 2 years to hit end game content. That's a pretty long time. If people could box and not have to follow truebox (legit or not legit) and it'd be a macaroni server like Rizlona is I think it would be pretty darn successful. Much easier to get content done at your pace when you don't have to rely on others like a lot of classes do.
  10. HoodenShuklak Augur

Just curious if you played Selo late?

From what I've seen, tons and tons of people thought Selo was a good speed early on... but once you hit those expansions that were basically supposed to last 1 year, Selo felt too fast. Casuals left in droves, new players dried up almost entirely, and Selo has become a ghost town. The pace for late EQ is far too fast according to the numbers.
    Skuz likes this.
  11. Deathstroke Journeyman

I played until RoF which is a pretty big xpac. And by the end everyone was full raid gear pretty easily with most everything done in Faceless if they wanted to push for class weps/progression etc.

I really think the one thing that would of kept Selo's alive is to not have truebox. And I don't foresee DBG getting smart and ending truebox during a server's life so it would just be easier to start like that from the getgo.
  12. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

10 weeks per level cap raise, except maybe just 4 weeks for classic:

0 - Classic
    4 - Kunark, Velious, Luclin
    14 - Planes, LoY, LDoN, Gates
    24 - Omens, DoN, DoDH, PoR
    34 - TSS, TBS
    44 - SoF
    54 - SoD, Underfoot (roughly the one year mark)
    64 - HoT
    74 - VoA
    84 - RoF, CotF
    94 - TDS, TBM, EoK
    104 - RoS, TBL (two year mark)
  13. HoodenShuklak Augur

I would agree that even basing length on level cap would be an improvement!
  14. Duality Augur

Is that combining those expansions for one release with 10 weeks between or are you suggesting Planes, Omens, DoDh, etc, would only be 2.5 weeks each? Some of that would work okay (either way), but I think some expansions like HoT, Voa, and maybe even rof/cotf would get pretty boring for 5 weeks each.

I went to aradune when VoA launched and then came back for RoF and was still able to catch up with maybe a week until CoTF launched. That's with boxing, but only group gear and I didn't care to do the merc tasks in that one since everything was unlocked. And maybe 4-5 hours most days though.

I thought the speed was great early on, and then when we had the 75 drag it was like hitting a brick wall. My capped alts had capped alts. After that It seemed to balance out a little bit, SoF and SoD seemed a bit longer to cap mostly due to the rougher group level content and gear spread out in packed zones. I liked the challenge and length of underfoot. House of Thule has gear spitting out every 10 inches, and the group progression was steady. That is with boxing too, but after that I think even for casual play the pace is fine until eoK.

I think the bigger issue they need to fix is how to keep interest in one server. Some of the later expansions are pretty fun. On selo it was a huge chain reaction when people/guilds started dropping. Ditch the true-box when a server gets over the initial drive, and give us content based expansion timers. I know it will take more work to iron out, but I think it would be worth it for both sides if they did.
  15. Tweakfour17 Augur

It's almost like a 3/2 rule or really any other generic rule that applies to all expacs doesn't work. I wouldn't mind some actual thought in to how long an expac should be. PoR is the same length as DoDH, makes no sense
    Skuz likes this.
  16. HoodenShuklak Augur

Removing truebox definitely would help. There are a lot of players coming back that would join a later tlp but with truebox and f2p they probably just go straight to live.
    Skuz likes this.
  17. Machen New Member

They should consider more of what I suggested back before Selo's launched. If they had even gotten double loot instead of half lockouts right, which I suggested back in 2016, Selos would have been much better. But this suggestion of zero lockouts would be better than Selo's -- you could raid the same raid 3-4x back to back on the same night, rather than having to raid every single evening to keep up. Practically there would be very little difference in loot intake, there is only so much raiding you can do. But if you could spread it out over 3-4 nights a week instead of 7 you will have much better longevity.

18. Foaming I Drank Bleach IRL Once

Servers that are really expected to go past OoW cannot have truebox.
    Tweakfour17 and Machen like this.
  19. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Truebox should be dropped on all TLP once they reach DoDH - that was when live servers had the client changed to allow boxing more than one client from the same PC at least so seems the most suitable. Allow F2P in VoA.

Certainly Truebox is an albatross around your neck in later expansions when there are far fewer players around, and on Coirnav for example they got there a lot faster as they started off with a much lower population than the servers prior to it & since.

I strongly believe Miragul's success was entirely hamstrung by being a Truebox server, a whole bunch of players said Truebox would doom it even before it launched. Well I think they were proven right.
    Aneuren likes this.
  20. Foaming I Drank Bleach IRL Once

I'm not sure Darkpaw knows how to remove truebox once the server starts. Given how much later era TLPs have cried for its removal and nothing from Darkpaw leads me to believe this. Darkpaw generally does make changes it can.
    Deathstroke likes this.