Best way to obtain new Power Sources?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Fian, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Fian Augur

In recent history, we have seen 3 different ways of obtaining PowerSources:

TDS - off of named, PS that drops is based off of zone (with zone access locked behind progression)
    ROS - off of named, PS that drops is random
    TOV - crafted, recipe unlocked after long, evolving tradeskill quest, limiting who can create them

Which method do you think is best? What is the worst?
  2. Coronay Augur

Best way by far, at least for me, is the crafted method.
    Bigstomp, Jondalar and Duder like this.
  3. Nniki Augur

The crafted option would probably be most preferred due to its ease.

I enjoy the randomized option while progressing through new content because everyone has a chance no matter where you are. The extra chance that was added to tier 2 zones in TBL was nice as well... it may have even been overdone, as there was no shortage of power sources at that point. The zone-based option is nice if you need to go back to farm a specific type though.

Some sort of mix might be interesting: have some named that drop a specific type and some that are random in the same area.

Although it was a raid merchant in TBS that sold the best ones, I do think the group merchant should sell power sources. Group currency is very underutilized in my opinion. There should be replay value after acquiring your set of type 5 augmentations and a bag: allow players to buy power sources and consumables such as food, drink, potions, and poisons as an alternative to making them through tradeskills.
    Tatanka, Whulfgar and sojero like this.
  4. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

I liked the older way. TBS - Katta was the first expansion to offer both tradeskilled and purchasable PS. It had the best of both parts. With faction you could buy them with Orux which was not hard to get or you could tradeskill them.
    Laurana likes this.
  5. Diptera Augur

6. Mazame Augur

ToV is the best option. If you use Power sources you can craft them on your own as needed. In other exp I known people to have bags full of them because you never new when they would drop.

For those that don't like doing TS the Tov also offer the option that you can buy them as they are trade-able.

The fact that I don't have to fill my bank with extra PS and that I can trade them I think the ToV version is the best system. Another added point is that they can skip years and not have to spend time updating them as often.

TBL it was added only because people on the forms asked for it. having to go back to farm old PS was not fun and so people ask for it to be added to TBL so they didn't need to keep farming RoS

With both TDS / RoS you get locked in to needing to farm them and when stuff is current it not bad but becomes a pain having to go back when your not able to find groups willing to go farm them. If you stock up when it current then your giving up bank space to store them.
    Duder likes this.
  7. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

TBS > TOV

ToV had far too much locked behind completing the earring.
  8. Whulfgar Augur

Not at the puter at the moment.. so quick question. Whats the total difference pf tbl dropped power sources vs new Tov power sources is it game changing or just a trivial upgrade ?
  9. Duder Augur

And buying them with plat made them still unavailable for you? Other than the early power sources, ToV PSs availability is unrivaled.
    Leigo, Nukester and Mazame like this.
  10. Svann2 The Magnificent

offering the suggestion - buy with mission and/or raid coin.
    edit: for me I dont mind crafting, but some dont craft.
    minimind likes this.
  11. Duder Augur

They're tradeable...
    If you they were available for group currency people would cry about that an ask that they be tradeable. I don't understand how the current obtainability is critical to anyone. If they were made any more available they might as well just place them into characters inventory on login.
    Leigo, Smokezz and Whulfgar like this.
  12. Whulfgar Augur

Prolly crying cause they on a low pop server.. where nobody farms an sells mats in their baz..that's my guess..
  13. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

Bigger jump than TDS to RoS.

In the tank version, 25 more AC, 375 more hp, 1 more heroic, ToV over RoS listed on the PS.

Final version of the TBS power sources (currency AND ts) is the best option. But it wasn't like that at the start ... players fought for the final version.

In our crunched for EQ developer time world now ... the current ToV method I prefer. Locked behind a quest that is groupable and make the end products tradeable.
    Duder likes this.
  14. cadres Augur

Don't like these being locked behind substantial quests, whether for earring, zone access or whatever.
    (and I speak as someone who has done all the quests and would have done them regardless of PS)
    Tradeable is good, but the price is significant (still)
    Crafting is good, but not the recipes stuck behind a tortuous quest
    Very much agree there should be more than one way of getting them in any given expansion - eg crafted and buyable with group currency; craftable and drop off nameds (even if only as rares) etc

Personally, much preferred them to drop off nameds, but that's about how I prefer to play
    Yinla likes this.
  15. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Tov ones are a nice upgrade from previous expansion. Was gonna make them til i found out you cant do one of the combines til you get to a certain part in the tov earring quest so i just buy them. Least the power sources last a long while worth the pp imo.

Andarriel
  16. Nadisia Augur

I prefer the craft, even locked behind quests.

My only gripe comes from the fact that it requires class or race specific subcombines : you need a stinky gnome and tinkering for the Velium core mana battery, a shaman and alchemy for the Velium Drying Solution and a rogue with poisonmaking for the Velium Purifying Powder.

Yes, I do have all these alts, so I can craft my own powersources, but it's an annoying restriction.
    It should have been designed more or less like the old TBS energeian orbs : pottery, or mix of generic tradeskills, but not these specific and restricted ones.
    Midasa and cadres like this.
  17. Zamiam Augur

aye , I used to use the metal ps .. but from reading this thread and realizing that the ToV PS's are tradeable and are for sale .. I looked in baz under Powersources and they are selling for 30k a pop .. so I bought 5 of them .. hopefully they last awhile or the price drops a bit .. will be awhile before i can make them ..

P.S ToV Ps' seem to be lvl 114 restricted ..I dont know if their are lower lvl ones or not
    Andarriel likes this.
  18. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

they range from 90-110k on fv but i make pp pretty easy and the ps last a long time still got 5 on my ranger. I might look into doing the earring tov quest but not sure yet well see think its like the 5th quest line so pretty good into it. yea looks like 114 surprised there not 115 actually.

Andarriel
  19. Flatchy Court Jester

If you have not noticed TS is becoming a huge part of this game. Since Crestas earring it seems to be THE major part of the game. Its some of the best gear you can possible get and its obtainable to all. If you ignore it just because you have refused to try TS you are making a mistake. Its nothing like it was. If you cannot get to 300 in every skill in just a couple of months you are not trying hard at all.

This comes from a player that hates jumping through their hoops and did not like quests. I like camping names to gear up that was it. Artisans task and these ears have definitely changed my mind about quests and I hope they keep em up!
    Hellowhatsyourname and Nadisia like this.
  20. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

I do tradeskills all skills apart from Smithing and Spell Research are at 350, spell research has far too many needed recipes very few of which are of any use. :rolleyes: Smithing I lost interest in when i got to 343.

I just feel there was far too much locked behind doing the earring and everything in ToV. Best augs, power sources and not to mention a decent earring, not really a caster ear but the other stats are too good to pass up.