We will perform a routine maintenance tomorrow, September 24, 2020, beginning at 8 AM PDT. Approxima

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Veteran_BetaTester, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Veteran_BetaTester PIZZA!

2. Hellowhatsyourname Augur

3. NeverPayForLag Augur

Yeah and it would be nice if WE DONT NEED TO LOOK EVERYDAY FIRST INTO THE MAINTENANCE AREA to dare to play! One day before!

If some darn quests like the earring quest stick at the crystals at 6/7 because DGB is not thinking reasoned enough about the usefulness of some quests and the trick to logout/login can give the last part (which is ridiculous to do so), it is really more than annoying to not be able to log back in.

Why the hell is it not possible to warn every player INGAME about that?
    An nice line - "hello dear customer - in 10 min the login servers are not available anymore - plan accordingly!" would have said everything....

Oh sometimes I wonder why this company isn't long gone from the market...
    Is there any game which has slighty the features of EQ and willing to transfer my toons into another game?... grrrr..
    Veteran_BetaTester and Herf like this.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You don't need to look in there everyday, however that is a good place to check when you notice an issue.
  5. Dahaman Augur

Interesting side effect...

While in game already, my account switched from Lifetime Membership to Free Player (not even Silver). Logged out of the character and I was blocked from playing the character (over the 8 char limit and grayed out it looked like).

Thankfully, it reset to Lifetime Membership when logging off the account and back on!
  6. Jondalar Augur

Some accounts were booted as it started. I can login to forums again but not into the game.
    Skuz likes this.
  7. Herf Augur

Soooo...forum logins work again obviously, but still can't log into the game as of 10:31am PT. Oh the joy.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Yeah 1 hour extension at the moment.
  9. Cinpus New Member

I know people are going to jump on me over this. But I just don't understand why literally ever patch and or maintenance windows is either extended, or just breaks more. The net effect is either another patch, more maintenance IE loss of play time. I'm a SysAdmin myself and I cannot fathom keeping a job after the 3rd time this happened. This is something that has been done hundreds of times. If you can't make it work, get new Admins(Sys or Dev or whoever is the problem). You should be able to do maintenance without going down at all. But lets say you need to because of poor networking design. Why is it always extended? Why is it always a Patch to a Patch to a Patch? You have beta servers for a reason!
    NeverPayForLag likes this.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Because that isn't true, patches do end on time and sometimes they even end early. You are just more likely to remember the ones that run over because those have a negative impact on your ability to play as expected.
    Derd likes this.
  11. Cinpus New Member

None should go over, a monkey can literally do this.

Of the last 8, 7 didn't. Fight me.
  12. Qelil Augur

Because humanity. I am sure they do the best they can with the resources they have. I hate downtime too because I love the game but in fairness the uptime is quite good over the course of each year.

I am a retired senior software engineer however, that doesn't mean I know anything about the code they touch during patches or any maintenance. I surely don't. Likewise, as a sysadmin, you can't really presume to know what exactly they are doing during any given maintenance or patch. For example, any time you need to touch even one line of code, something unexpected can happen as I am sure you know Cinpus.

The above is just my take based on my experience in software development which is just one potential aspect of any downtime. Likewise, as my own scope of understanding would be severely limited here in fairness so too would yours.

Patience is a virtue as they say.

Again, I miss the game as much as anyone any time it is down for any reason. A certain angst sets in. As usual, I will discount any possible psychological problem on my end and blame Daybreak/Darkpaw but only a little because I know how easily things can go wrong. They do a good job of finding and fixing issues while under pressure to get the game back up for players.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Would you rather they just plan the outage for the entire day so that it doesn't go over? Things happen and patches can go over.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Yes, a monkey could type your comment.

"do this" - do WHAT? You don't even know what they're doing, and yet you're the world authority on how long it should take.

Go ahead, fight, I don't care.