Ultrawide resolution problem

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by StiTch.ed, Aug 17, 2020.

1. StiTch.ed Journeyman

Small problem caused by ultrawide resolutions, in which skeleton eyes and the occasional other graphic "float" out of place. Where depends on camera angle and zoom, but are never in my eye sockets where they belong. Can confirm that when I set my resolution to the more standard 2560x1440 this issue disappears.

Current resolution: 3440x1440

[IMG]
    Gyurika Godofwar, Enoch and RPoo like this.
  2. Soulbanshee Augur

This is known, and no fix is currently planned as it would require an overhaul of the graphics system. Use the /viewport command to change it to a 16:9 aspect ratio (not sure on anything further with that command), you will have black spaces on the left and right but you can use the area to drag game windows into.
    minimind, Duder, Tiffany and 2 others like this.
  3. StiTch.ed Journeyman

Thankyou for the heads up. I did run a search on ultrawide and a couple of other keywords because I had the feeling this might be known; my apologies for bringing it up again. I'll leave it as is, I like my wide view and the floating eyes thing isn't enough to change it. Gives me a chuckle at least ;)
  4. Troubled1367 New Member

I have the same issue with my setup as well. Found out that EQ just doesn't like it when the ratio is anything more than 17.999999999:9. Once you go to 18:9 it has an issue with the floating eyes, campfires, sword flame effects, etc (the newer stuff)

For those of us that want to be able to use our Ultrawide Monitors and not have these floating effect, we can use /viewport to squeeze a little more out of it. I did not find a lot of information about the viewport command when I searched for it, so I had to wing it. Here's what I found, hope it helps anyone else wanting to use it for this purpose:

/viewport x y width height scale
    X= X Axis Offset in pixels from left edge of screen.
    Y= Y Axis Offset in pixels from top edge of screen.
    Width = How Wide the resolution of the displayed game is (Leftovers from Monitor resolution can be used in previous X. more on this later)
    Height = How Tall the resoltion is going up the side of the monitor.
    ***Keep in mind that Width and Height may not be more than the Video Mode resolution is set to.
    ******Due to EQ Limitations, the Width:Height cannot exceed 17.999999999:9

In our example monitor here, the Resolution I am assuming is normally set to 3440x1440 or 21:9
    In order to adjust this down, we will need to do some math. Assuming we want to keep the height as much as possible, we do 1440/9 = 160, then 160*18 = 2880. This will give us an 18:9 ratio of 2880x1440. But EQ Still doesn't like this. So we use 2879x1440 so EQ doesnt throw a fit.

Now that we know the Width will be 2879 we can subtract that from 3440 to get 561. This is the maximum number you will want to use for X. There are a few ways this can be used.
    ** Option 1. /viewport 0 0 2879 1440 - This will Give you Black space on the Right Side of your monitor
    ** Option 2. /viewport 561 0 2879 1440 - This will give you black space on the Left side of the monitor
    ** Option 3. /viewport 280 0 2879 1440 - This will Center your game, and put bars on both sides of the screen.

Keep in mind, You can still use the Bars for things like Chat windows, Target Bars, etc. It is not lost space...

Happy Hunting!!

Yomme Retsasid of Innoruuk
    Duder likes this.
  5. Vumad Cape Wearer

I have an ultrawide with the same resolution. It just stretches it in full screen mode. Are you getting it to display in 21:9 without the stretch (16:9 with extra view)?
  6. Troubled1367 New Member

Yes, However, the previously posted numbers would actually be 17.9:9 (Almost 2:1). All of the leftover space is still usable as game options would still be rendering 3440x1440. /viewport essentially creates a window, inside of the fullscreen game.

To get a true 16:9 ratio you would use:

** Option 1. /viewport 0 0 2560 1440 - This will Give you Black space on the Right Side of your monitor
    ** Option 2. /viewport 880 0 2560 1440 - This will give you black space on the Left side of the monitor
    ** Option 3. /viewport 440 0 2560 1440 - This will Center your game, and put bars on both sides of the screen.