Separate accounts on 1 computer lose channel settings

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by cadres, Sep 21, 2020.

1. cadres Augur

Not sure if this is a bug or 'the way it is' but caused us some consternation....

Attended an EQ get together. We had 12 accounts owned by 8 people on one (uber) computer
    Some folk join by default, general chat channels. Some don't (I don't). If any of those accounts switched toons during the evening they joined the general channels, even though that option was very definitely 'off' on their options screen.
    This caused some distress as the very 'non PC' language/topics in general some find upsetting - so don't join and were unhappy to suddenly be confronted with this material

Went home and tried to replicate this Sure enough, I switched one acc to 'join general channels'. After a couple of logging to char select and coming back into game, all toons were 'subscribed' to general channels
  2. Soulbanshee Augur

Its not good to open a post where you say you are breaking the EULA. Account logins are not permitted to be shared. Don't really know what you are describing, sounds really weird but not along the lines of acceptable usage.

Join general channels is an account setting not a user setting. When you run multiple accounts off one install folder that will happen. The last character to log out writes the current account settings. If you want different account settings per account, you will have to run a different folder for each account. It won't work trying to set account wide settings per character, change it on one character and log out it will be loaded for the next character in.
  3. cadres Augur

No-one shared any account logins - no idea where you got that from?
    I have never shared my account details with anyone in 20 years of EQ!
    I don't see why it's not acceptable usage, but very happy for someone to point out where I'm wrong
    (and I will humbly apologise and never do it again!)

I wondered about the folder, but other settings in the same window, eg auto consent group/raid do not change - they stay true to each toon/account and have done since forever
  4. Soulbanshee Augur

Should clarify this, it reads like accounts are being shared to get 8 different peoples accounts on one computer.

These are the only per-charater options saved in Char_server.ini file, along with hotleys, socials, etc. Everything else looks to be in eqclient.ini. Auto consent is character setting server side because the server has to know what corpses are interact-able.

[Defaults]
    Realism=20
    Music=2
    SoundVolume=10
    EnvSounds=0
    CombatMusic=0
    [Combat]
    AttackOnAssist=0
    [Friends]
    SendToUChat=0

Join general channels is AutojoinHelp=1 in eqclient.ini (global setting).
  5. cadres Augur

Not sure how you come up with that. I mentioned a get-together - seemed pretty clear to me. We have 8 people; around a big table with 10 keyboards; 20 screens; one computer. Everyone logs into their own email accs, EQ accs, banking etc etc.

Right, so you're saying (I'm not at all technically minded) that this info is shared among all the characters/accounts which use an individual install of EQ and the only way round it is for each acc to have their own install of EQ? (and thus it's not a bug at all and this shouldn't be here....)
  6. Soulbanshee Augur

Now it sounds like virtualization which is ban-able, if it is RDS to get more than 2 sessions on a Windows Server OS which uses Hyper-V to provide virtual desktops to each session. I can't think of a non-virtualization platform that would allow more than 2 sessions to a Windows Server OS, or 1 to a Windows desktop OS.

Yes if you want different accounts to join or not join, but not each separate character on that account. I just tested it, as soon as one character changes the join general channels option it is saved out to eqclient.ini. So on the same account on one install folder if you want one character auto join and another one, you would have to keep changing it each time you logged in. Sort of a workaround you could "/autojoin add General" to be in general on one character, yet have it off on that account. Would not be a bug.
  7. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

My group still won't get together for table D&D. Even with masks.
  8. Nennius Curmudgeon

Is it possible to play D&D in a virtual way? Skype, or some such thing. Haven't played D&D in a very long time and my memory of it is very fuzzy.
  9. cadres Augur

See that over there <points> that's your techy words zooming way over my head!
    I can load 6 accounts on my crappy 5 year old mid-range computer. I'm not sure why 12 accounts on a computer that cost the price of a small house in a reasonable area is dodgy?
    No-one gets any advantage in any way other than not lugging their own boxes to the get-together. Everyone has paid accounts; everyone is using their own paid accounts

Right. I think understood that bit! Will give it a go/let folk know so no-one gets alarmed again.Thanks.
  10. Soulbanshee Augur

It's not the account part, its more of that virtualization technology could potentially allow undetectable modification outside of the game and OS. Not that someone was but its possible so it has to be outright not allowed. Sounds like everything turned out, but just based off your description I personally would not risk attending a party like that again. Never know whats going to trigger something if its not one person and one computer (not including true box).
  11. Herf Augur

It can happend to 1 acct, on one machine, at least it happened to me today. All my "chat" channel filters were turned off and even when I sent a message to Generaal, I didn't see it on the one machine/accout, but a 2nd machine on the same table did see it just fine. FWIW.
  12. Soulbanshee Augur

This is different than the chat server connection issues, this has to do with the client settings saving out to eqclient.ini and running multiple accounts from the same install folder.
  13. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Yes, there is online D&D but I find that version not as good as the table top version