Class Power rankings per Expansion?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Arclyte, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Healiez Augur

Love the rogue hate, in classic yah...

An epic rogue and then a geared rogue onward is solid dps, then once backstab mod becomes a thing they are competitive with monks. At least on parses I have seen/done
  2. The real Sandaormo Augur

You read past the to first three words? Apparently not. Glad I gave you something to to post on, your welcome.
  3. The real Sandaormo Augur

I did go to the deep archives of page 2 of the Veterans Lounge.
  4. SoandsoForumUser Augur

Spoilers, you're posting in the TLP forum not the veteran's lounge Mr. Necro. So you came to the TLP forum to say who cares about TLPs? Thanks I guess.
  5. yerm Augur

Go away
  6. The real Sandaormo Augur

ah ok did not realize this was TLP forum , musta clicked one down on main page, apologies for that.
    Other than that not sorry, don't like what I wrote? I can say stuff!
  7. Vetis Elder

Alright. I'm bored at work anyways so why not. I gotta chime in here.

As someone who has been the literal #1 player on a server (Mayong) as a class who ISN'T EVEN MENTIONED IN THE QUOTED POST

Lol.. I gotta say, Bards are consistently under estimated.. Name another class that can cast spells, potions, clickies while running. I'll wait.

Do you know how broken this mechanic is? Of course not, the majority of EQ players are pretty lazy, lets be honest. We like one person to bring our mobs to us we don't even like to dungeon crawl. (A lot of people hate LDoN)

The majority of bards are boxes, afk /follow melody bots.

Lets talk about some facts (yes it changes from expansion to expansion but in general):

1. Bards are the fastest moving class BY FAR. Meaning (gonna get some hate for this one) they are better pullers than monks. I have never been out pulled by a monk, period. Argue this as much as you want.

2. Bards can do more DPS than any other class. (Wait WTF Vetis? Tall Tales much m8?) Lets recall that bards used to kill entire zones with PBAoE dots. (Okay Vetis that was nerfed, they can't do that anymore.) Too true. But have you heard of charm swarm kiting? Round up 9 mobs, charm one, send into the fray, it gets knocked down in 1-10% in a matter of seconds, instant click invis (goblin gazughi ring for example) instant charm break, charm another mob, send it on the 1-10% mob rinse repeat.

3. Broken mechanics such as being able to make mobs GATE. (Song of Highsun)

4. Lets talk about enchanters, why are they the best class in the game. They can charm and they can CC. What can bards do? ....Yeah okay okay, not to the same level. But hey lets say we pull 4 mobs, charm one, send the charmed mob on the MA's target, CC the other two.... Badass? Yep.

5. Mana regen that stacks with clarity... hp regen that stacks with chloro... Over haste... the best resists in the game BY FAR.

Infinite single mob CC (manaless), infinite invis (manaless). The list goes on... and on... and on..

I'll end with this.

Sorry the bards you have played with are either melody bots or lazy. I welcome anyone to come group with me on Aradune (Bard is named Cronos). I have no doubt I will change your mind about where a bard falls in the tier lists you all have put together.

Anyways, rant over. xD This was fun.
  8. Ambee Elder

Stopped reading when you claimed to be "the literal #1 player" on a server. Guessing the rest is just as much nonsense
  9. Machen New Member

I don't think that invalidates his opinion. Someone's gotta be #1. On Mayong, especially early on, it was pretty easy to objectively make that claim. There wasn't much competition. For a while I was literally either the #1 or #2 player on Mayong. How do I know? There were only two of us flagged for Korafax for about a week at the start, and before anyone else showed up I had farmed a full set of gear.

None of that makes me or the other guy an expert on TLP class balance, but he does make some valid points about bards. They are underrated.
  10. Vetis Elder

[IMG]
  11. Vetis Elder

Who were you on Mayong? The only people who paced my group was Damon, Exzile, Goose and their group. We were definitely the first two groups in Korafax.
  12. Telak New Member

Rogues are dumpy in classic and get better with each expansion till OOW then we start declining again, and from what I can tell, it never gets better then it is during the level 70 time.

Also forgot to add... for grouping... have raid gear then literally group with any combination of classes that includes heals. Most of the dps can tank, a shaman can easily heal a raid geared tank etc. It's dumb to worry about what classes you bring to a group.
  13. Elskidor Augur

Yes. It looks like he did.
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

I hope the irony is lost on you.
    Skuz likes this.
  15. SoandsoForumUser Augur

[IMG]
  16. Elskidor Augur

Well I play a necro
    Accipiter likes this.
  17. Midnitewolf Augur

I think many people have warps and/or skewed perceptions about power level of a class.

For example, Clerics are completely OP in my opinion, eclipsing every other class by a wide margin. Clerics literally trivialize the content. I mean can you even picture a raid that has no Clerics, only Shamans and Druids as healers? That would up the difficulty of a successful raid by 10x easy. Same with grouping. Camps where a Shaman or Druid would struggle or fail, can easily be handled by a cleric. Seems S-tier Plus if you ask me, all expansions, all content. Yet because they can't solo, the fall down to mid-tier in some peoples rankings.

As far as Chanters, back in the day, at least on the Brell server, they were extremely rare. Thinking back I don't believe more than a handful of random pugs I was in actually contained a Chanter. They were were perceived as a weak class, at least by everyone I knew. This was because only a few Chanters had figured out the power of the class and most who played sucked at it. Today with all the Youtube guides and other instruction, there are a lot more good chanters.

Druids are another class I am always shocked to see ranked so low. The issue for them in my opinion is that their power ranking is almost always based on their healing capability because they are almost always shoved into the role of healer which they struggle at. They man be a priest class but they really aren't a healer. Their power comes from their DPS and their ADPS, combined with the fact they can heal in a pinch on top of that. They should never be main healer, that is what a cleric is for. Of course the catch is since the Clerics trivialize healing, why would you need the Druid's ability to back up heal? Speaking of ADPS, who actually pays attention to how much damage is being outputted through a damage shield? I bet very few. These factors turn a very powerful class into a class that is perceived as weak.

And on to Bard, a class that is usually classified as B Tier, yet there is not a single group that hasn't greatly benefited by having a bard around. Seems like if that is the case, a Bard should be ranked much higher, however because what they do for the group is subtle and difficult to quantify at a glance, they are often perceived weaker than they area.

Necro, my current main. There is a perception that they are weak in groups because of the fact most mobs die before a DoT can run its course however, I can always, 100% of the time, pull aggro from the Tank any time I want to, hell generally pull aggro entirely away from the entire group so my DPS is obviously anything but weak. Also with my conversion line of spells and the ability to lifetap my lost health back, I generally have more mana available than any other class in the game. so even if my DoTs and DD spells are mana inefficient, I still have all the mana I need to pull that aggro any time I want. Yet, many times a Necro will be past over for another class because of the perceived weak DPS.
  18. Aenoan Augur

These lists are kind of worthless and feel very trolly.

Frankly, warrior, rogue and druid, hell even shaman are much better then listed. The thing that askew the lists are the fact too many people box and don't play the classes right or don't bother learn them and list far to much to the redditors.

For example as a warrior. You SHOULD be pulling, that helps a lot with agro, augs and elbow strike, begging and good weapon choices help a lot too. (gnoll hide lariat)

Bards and Druids are seriously underrated almost every time.

I often take rogues when I can now because I was certainly wrong about them. They are little dark horses, sadly classic weapons are not the greatest but that doesn't mean they aren't good.

So far I usually try to make a group up with something like - war/rog/wizard(necro)/bard/shaman/cleric or druid. I also love running with paladins again another good class and if they got their GB, it opens up some fun camps.

But its hard to take anyone seriously when most players play in the same 3-4 zones in a expansion with like 200+ possible good places to grind at. This includes outdoor spaces.
  19. Fluid Augur

I get sucked into necro threads when servers are down! :)

It should be remembered that TLP servers are nothing like original servers other then level caps maybe. I mean did you ever wonder why you can only invis a group member? When the game first came out people would follow my Magician all night long casting Invisibility on them because in the original game, it would destroy your pet! I think we used to lose our pets when zoning too which was a real treat for going into a zone where MOBs were left on the zone line. This and a 1,000 other things were fixed. I think the first two characters to make it to level 50 were a two PC team of Rogues that made it to 50 in 5-6 months of 24/7 play using backstab when that was one of the few perks.

Something that I didn't see mentioned, by me too, is what I consider the #1 why I rate several character types high. They either have some combination of fear, root, speed, or snare that means they don't take a lot of damage. Next is innate MOB resistance to spells. If you look at something like Druid's Stinging Swarm the most important stat is
    https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/spell.html?spell=264
    Resist Adjust: -100

This means it sticks like glue! Druids aren't the only one of course. The whole Necromancer/SK Boil Blood line is very good too IIRC.

Once you start grouping, the other characters like Enchanter get Tash which is grease for the wheels, unresistable Magic debuff that makes everything else viable and double that for Druids. Magicians get the Malo line which is pretty much the first spell out of the box on a pull so everyone else's spells stick. Ditto for Shaman. Necros & SK snare really well, as good as Rangers and Druids, with the added plus of special handling of undead. That's two of a dozen reasons why you will always see them on the top of people's favorite list.
  20. Gheed Is not reading your response