Could I still find low level groups on Aradune?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by MightyUnclean, Sep 14, 2020.

1. MightyUnclean Elder

Hey guys,

I'm thinking of playing a wiz on Aradune and trying to catch up with my friend. Is it still easy to find low level groups? Especially as DPS?

Thanks!
  2. Healiez Augur

Possible-yes

Easy- not in the slightest.
  3. MightyUnclean Elder

Maybe easier as a shammy?
  4. TLP Addict Augur

Wizards are painful to level without friends, guildies or buying a PL.

Your DPS if you can call it that in a fast pulling group is entirely dependent on your mana. You have no pet or melee dps to speak of and while your nukes are efficient they are still difficult to sustain in any fast paced group.

They are pretty strong in the low to mid levels but fall off pretty quickly at 50+ when mob hitpoints jump dramatically.
  5. TLP Addict Augur

As a Shammy many groups will take you mostly for the ability to keep charm pets debuffed to reduce breaks. Backup heals, slows, buffs etc are a bonus.
  6. Healiez Augur

The problem is less of the fact you are a wiz and more the fact that kunark is still pretty new, people arent playing alts.

So you need people leveling alts for some reason or new players your level range to group with
  7. Bullsnooze Augur

If you're planning to sit LFG for PUGs, you will probably have a hard time as a Wizard. The fact is that if you're not a tank, Healer, or Enchanter you will sit LFG for a long time if you aren't proactive. That said, I urge you to look at playing a Wizard from a different perspective. Rather than ask if it's easy to find low level groups for (x) class, focus on joining a good guild (or your friend's guild) and make some friends. That way you can leverage your new bonds to help you get started, power level you a bit, and eventually get you to a point where you can soak up some XP to then contribute.

Also don't pick a class because it gets groups easily, unless you really like the class. You should always play what you're in the mood for or risk early burnout.
    Aneuren likes this.
  8. Trizek Augur

You can still find low level groups at a fairly no effort rate. It's not as easy as just going into the zone and waiting for one of the 5-8 groups in each pick to get a slot open though.
    Bullsnooze likes this.
  9. Ruhi Augur

i started last week before the bonus - the bonus i'm sure was a big incentive for others to lvl. i had 0 issues finding a group as a necro from lvl 3 all the way to 48. Made some new friends too.
  10. MightyUnclean Elder

How long ago was that? Was it before the release of Kunark?

Thanks!
  11. Protagonist Tank

The week before labor day.
  12. MightyUnclean Elder

Damn. I missed the boat, eh? Now everyone is focusing on gearing up their mains in Kunark?
  13. SunDrake Augur

I could be wrong, but I do not think that is what he was saying. At all.

The new servers are less than a month into the first expansion release.
  14. Protagonist Tank

That's the opposite of what was said.
  15. MMOer Augur

Before the double exp weekend it was pretty easy to find a group but not many LFG at lower levels. Wasnt impossible. After the double exp weekend. A lot of folks blew through 0-60 and that drain the pool of people that will be leveling alts.

You will need to be able to SOLO while flagged for LFG. You will also need to be near the leveling zones to find groups.

My suggestion... when you flag. Put in note. New player LFG. Twinks will tend to invite you over others if they see that. Sometimes even PL groups.
  16. Ruhi Augur

na, i'm saying there were plenty of people lvling when i started 2 weeks ago. The 50's has been a little more challenging, but i tend to just make my own groups.

Best advice I have:
    dont just put up lfg and wait - you'll have a bad time
    /lfg then whisper others with lfg up - get something going
  17. Tayvial Journeyman

You didn't miss the boat yet. Some classes do sit LFG long period of times.. its a giving a tank/cleric will always get in pugs faster than dps but the fastest way to fix that is forum your own groups. its even easier because 1-50 lvl camps are not highly contested as they were. Maybe while your leveling you get someone in your group that can oog a toon to help speed things up. Just play what you like tbh. every classes as its flaws..

Make friends.

If you can 2 box, perfect.
  18. Tinthalas Tigris New Member

As someone who plays primarily a wizard, I would say that it is still possible.

So often, non-primary wizards forget how much less necessary gear is for a wizard when in a group.

It will be more difficult for you to get a group than a cleric, or perhaps even a paladin, but even so, you'll still find groups in the hot-to-level zones such as Unrest, or even Befallen; at least during prime time.

Much of the activity is certainly occurring in Kunark, but there are still plenty of folks who are playing the game for it not to be a power-gamer's paradise and instead to enjoy the nostalgia. While those individuals are few and far between, they are beginning low-tier guilds and farming themselves upwards into higher-tier guilds.

I wouldn't discourage you to play a wizard, by any means, for the enjoyment of the class. Especially, as soon as Vellious is out, getting its epic should actually become quite a bit easier and less contentious (than it is now).
  19. HoodenShuklak Augur

Wizard is definitely harder to get a group early on. They still have a lot of stigma and certainly a lot of it is earned for being lazy. However, I have looked at parses and through the 30s a good wizard can parse over mediocre charmed pets. Charm doesn't really break away until later. But not many people care about this when they see a wizard go FM to oom in 1-2 fights, and see them literally sit out for pulls.
  20. Tinthalas Tigris New Member

The thing often overlooked is the banestrike. Often overlooked is that a Wizard's primary role in leveling camps/groups is not the DPS that is necessary to offset a cleric's healing necessity, but to just keep the XP flowing.

Instead of using the highest level nuke, wizards just need to click their mid to low level nuke from time to time and farm those banestrikes.

I had parses over the course of level 34 all the way to 59 where my DPS was as good as just about anyone else's (beside's the enchanter's charmed pet) over the course of several hours, and typically staying between 50 and 80% mana, simply because I was using a low level nuke, and offset by banestrikes.

Having clarity pots and Conc pots is a necessity, and they get a bit pricey, but mana management is a different game for this era's wizard, and a wizard's role is to just be there when stuff gets crazy and nameds need to be taken down quickly, or Runes need to be cast while grabbing agro and rooting because the Enchanter is either OOM, playing with a broken charm, or something similar.

Much like Rangers and bards become off-hand tanks, a wizard played well needs to assume the role of off-hand crowd control, and just mild DPS while that role is not necessary.