So how come monks never got an insta kill?

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Pikollo, Sep 4, 2020.

1. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

I won't deny that Monks are behind in DPS. Monk DPS needs to be boosted. And if we get no taunt ability, we need to drop this nonsense that we are a "tank" class.
  2. Pikollo Augur

As I've said I've been out for a while but is that still a thing? I wouldn't want a taunt. I'm fairly well geared (for my era on Selo) and there's no way I could tank a raid mob of any kind. Even higher tier group stuff I can't tank near as well as any real tank, and just as good as I've seen a rogue (or pet) tank. I understand why we have to be a little tanky being a pulling class but the excuse of a DPS drop due to being tanky can't be a valid excuse anymore.
  3. feeltheburn Augur

Behind who?
    Duder likes this.
  4. Chasassis New Member

Monks can emergency tank raid mobs just fine; Earthforce and Shaded Steps especially are your friend.

But you can only do it until a real tank comes in. I've saved many a group with either of those when the tank drops unexpectedly, and at least half a raid a time or two.

I'm also only ever out-DPS'd, for melee classes, in group and raid situations, by Berserkers, and Rogues in raids if they're getting their Alliance procs.

Otherwise I don't lose to any class but Berserkers consistently. Usually even taking into consideration raid gear vs. my (currently) group gear.
  5. Chasassis New Member

All that said, there's no reason we shouldn't be able to whittle down light blue cons for power leveling purposes when the other melee DPS classes can. (except Warrior, but their Riposte adding 200k to their DPS should silence them forevermore, says I)

Anyone talking about the introduction of such a thing necessitating a complete classes-wide re-balance is a bit of a dim bulb. That's classist and I won't stand for it.
  6. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Zerks, Rogues, Necros come to mind from raids this week.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

You callin me dim, boy? ;)

The call for class rebalancing due to a change to Monk DPS was tongue-in-cheek. Anyone who didn't get that is slow-witted.
  8. feeltheburn Augur

NOT monks I ve seen...monks there need to step up then. I ll grant the zerker....other then that its game on.
  9. Sancus Augur

Wait, you're not doing less DPS than your Necros? :confused:
  10. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Your Rogues and Necros aren't getting top-flight aDPS groups then. Put a Monk, Rogue, and Zerk in the same group with bard, ranger, and shaman. If they're even remotely awake, the Rogue and Zerk are on top with Monk close behind.

Burst DPS the Monk will beat the Necro. If the fight lasts 2-3 minutes, Necros are out-parsing everyone.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  11. feeltheburn Augur

that must be it.
  12. feeltheburn Augur

its a back n forth battler :)
  13. Fintank Augur

Where the rangers at tho???
  14. Triconix Augur

15. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Rangers with glyph running and a perfect aDPS group will parse right behind the Monk. ;)
  16. Chasassis New Member

I could just be seeing the wrong Rogues, or the people here aren't taking into consideration Rogue Alliance procs are dependent on poison weapon procs from absolutely anyone and everyone.

With alliance, I've seen insane Rogue numbers. Without it, I've never felt threatened by a Rogue.
  17. Fintank Augur

Dis make me sad, ranger need boosts clearly!
  18. Cadira Augur

Idk, at best rogue alliance provides about 45k dps, and that's in a perfect world. It's probably closer to like 25 or 30k. Also rogue's don't need multiple rogue's to proc their alliance and pretty much every guild I've been in has made sure their melee had and was using poison procs. I've seen good rogue's doing 600 to 700k dps damn near every event and seen bad rogue's doing 300k so it's really just a matter of player skill.
  19. Pikollo Augur

If we are DPS comparing I'd say all melee classes need a boost because necro is insanely high. I don't want necro's to be nerfed. I want us balanced to catch up. BUT we are talking about insta kills on light blues. Which wouldn't trigger a balance effect of any kind IMO. It'd just make us do the same damage to light blues as the other insta kill classes do.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth likes this.
  20. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

And heroics, and progression, and clickies, and achievements, and potions, and tribute, and ......

Just filling in the picture. "Skill" isn't the only factor in maximizing DPS. Just like skill isn't the only factor in keeping a tank alive. It all matters. Gear, skill, aDPS timing, above notes, and group makeup. TBH, it's probably equal parts all these things.