Raid Banner

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lubianx, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Lubianx Augur

Could we please look at having Raid Banners? These would work the same as guild Banners but be for the raid.

The reason for this is it would help Raid Alliances plant a banner. Of cause it would be so only 1 banner could be up at a time in that zone (ie you couldn't have a guild and a raid banner up in the same raid)

This was brought up a while ago at a Fan Faire and was flagged as a good idea by the devs at the time.
    Ozon, Cuuthbert, Fenthen and 19 others like this.
  2. Zamiam Augur

I thought guild banners were used for Raids ? or are you talking like for PuR and co-alliances ?
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  3. Lubianx Augur

Mainly talking about alliance raids, but PuR would work too
    I am part of an alliance on Luclin (NCG) that comprises of at least 5 or more different guilds that raid together. Having a raid banner rather than a guild banner would be extremely useful.
  4. Windance Augur

Bertox has a fairly active pick up raid running fri/sat night. They have the same issue. With members from so many different guilds its rare to have enough from any single guild to set a banner.

Right now the guild banner checks to see if you have 12 people all in the same guild with in same zone and rough location.

You could easily change that to check for 12 people all in the same RAID with in the same zone and rough location.

Then officers from each guild would be able to place their banner with in the instance.
  5. dreadlord Augur

With a diminishing raid population, this is an excellent idea
    Anything that helps raiding alliances to keep going and encourages more people to get into the raiding game has to be encouraged surely
    I'm not at all technical, but it seems the mechanisms are already there and wouldn't be too difficult to implement
    Can't see any downside to this
  6. Windance Augur

The hardest part would be convincing the dev/management it is worth committing the resources to make it happen. It would take a serious grass roots movement by folks to get their members out to up vote a thread like this.
  7. Avina New Member

Our guild has less than 10 members that are actively playing but we participate in the pick up raids on Bertox on Friday and Saturdays. A raid banner would be very helpful as we would never have enough members to have a guild banner.
    Gyurika Godofwar and minimind like this.
  8. bellanorte New Member

Yes. Please. I raid with the Bertox alliance. Banners would greatly assist with the raid performance (assuming you had stat ones).
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  9. Elyssanda Bardbrain

remember to "like" the original post.

Lubi, HUGS. 100% agreement here you know that.
    minimind likes this.
  10. Nniki Augur

Not to dissuade anyone from liking the OP if they like the idea, but only the bug reports section is set up that way btw. They have a link to sort the posts by most liked to see what's important there, and they clean up the list by moving things to resolved when they're taken care of.
    [IMG]

While they could just tack &order=first_post_likes onto the end of the veteran's lounge url, it won't be as effective when posts there go back to like 2012. That's why a separate feedback section would be most ideal.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?forums/the-veterans-lounge.20/&order=first_post_likes
  11. Windance Augur

Nniki do you think we should recreate this thread in the bug section as :

[Feature Request] Modify Guild Banner to support Raid Alliance Guilds
  12. Soulbanshee Augur

No, they redirect requests to this forum.
  13. Nniki Augur

They don't want feature requests in the bug section, but for visibility, dreamweaver requested feedback be tagged with [Feedback] for the time being. He could probably edit the title to include the tag rather than start a new thread.

No one has been consistent though (also why a feedback section would be best), so I imagine [Feature Request] or [Feature] would be fine too.
    Yinla likes this.
  14. Froglok Augur

Pick-up and Alliance raids are the only way many players get to raid current or recent content, really.

The current rules require a certain Guild have 12 players to set a Banner. One suggestion was to check for 12 Players in the Raid (even if not in the same guild) to set a special raid banner for each raid.

Rather than have Banner spam in the zone, how about having an "Alliance Raid Banner" that any (1) Guild can place, but all Guild can use from their own Guild Halls.

Sell an Alliance raid token (on the portal vendor) to set the portal to "Alliance Raid Banner."

If you are in a raid where such a banner has been placed by any Guild that is part of that raid... you will teleport as normal.

If you aren't in the raid, you will not teleport anywhere, "Please join the raid force for teleportation to your allies."

If the raid hasn't set a Banner yet, "Your raid force has not yet placed a Banner. Please stand by until your allies have set a Banner."
  15. Windance Augur

The main issue with your suggestion Froglok is complexity.

How do you determine that a guild in part of an alliance? You need to create a new UI window, populate it with data, save and restore that data. Then you'd also need to create the items for the banners, etc.

That is a lot of complexity which means it costs a lot more to implement and maintain.

If I were a developer considering how to implement a raid banner, simple change to check if its ok to drop a banner vs creating a bunch of new stuff ...

I'm not trying to poop on your suggestion, just pointing out how much 'stuff' it would require.
  16. Froglok Augur

My concern was this... in an alliance / pickup raid, consisting of players from Multiple Guilds, the 12 player requirement may not be met at all, by any of the Guilds. Thus, the check would be number of Players in the Raid and in the zone, rather than number of Players in the Guild and in the zone.
    Yinla likes this.
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Interesting idea, used to join pick up raids fairly frequently with an alt when they were run on my current server (come back LoTA!) but no banner got to being such a pain in the neck I ended up just putting my alt in their guild until they left the server.

Does sound like it could be possible, but also that it could be a huge pain to code it, Guild banners have a static dataset to lookup who can use it, while Fellowships also have that, raids and especially alliance-style & pickup raids would have a constant raid by raid set of players with no common dataset to look up.

I may be wrong on my understanding of how the system works but I'm probably close & given that need for a dataset by the banner & campfire systems to be looking up it may not be possible currently, I could see there being a need to have an "alliance raid registrar" system created that players somehow sign up onto for this raid-banner system to work by giving it a data set to check against.
  18. Cragzop Cranky Wizard

I'm a little surprised no one has brought up the fact that ...

... the last 3 expansions, raids have never been easier to actually just run to.

RoS - only one is outside of OT (guild portal) and that is 10 feet from the druid port (and bindable location)

TBL - only one is not easily reachable via lamp (Doomfire) and that's not bad from Stratos lamp port location (fast click to PoTranq, then Fire)

ToV - 5 in same location as guild portal, 2 a simple run across zone, and 2 in the same zone as both druid and wizard ports ... and you can bind near the npcs.

Be honest ... people are just lazy about running. All the raid guilds/alliances have plenty of folks who fit that description (the best are those waiting for a EW/ToFS banner).

That said, if this could be coded in an afternoon, I'd be all for it. Given that you are trying to form a new type of porting object defined as something nebulous as raid at moment in time (I think having a "permanent alliance" object is a non-starter), I don't think it's that simple. And I'd rather not spend time on something that isn't really needed vs other projects.

...and have fun with all the potential folks now able to set the banner for an alliance/open raid...
    Mazame likes this.
  19. Dropfast Augur

I love the idea. It's very often been a problem on PU raids. Can't tell you how many times a guild was 1 or 2 short of planting a banner on pick ups. All for this.
  20. Mazame Augur

Ok I have to ask. if you are 1-2 short of a banner that means 10 people ran to the event. I guessing it was not that hard for those 10 people to run. So why can't everyone else run?

In VoA the banner was nice because about half people could not make it to the raid npc with out going splat so the banner helped.

Now lets say you had 12 people to drop a banner in a pick up raid it would be used for what getting another 1-3 people that was to lazy to walk?

I understand people are asking it to count people in raid vs in guild in that case you would be able to plant it and then people we have to be in the raid to use it. the down side is has anyone one thought about the ways it can then be exploited. They already said they don't want people be have larger fellowships. I could see then becoming the new campfire.
    "need 11 ppl to join my raid so I can drop a banner plz" and then people adding bots to the raid just to port them around.
    or even more so bot groups going from 6 people to 12+ so they can plant banners.

I under stand pick up raid want a banner. but if you think it will get ppl to your raid faster you can keep dreaming. Even on non pick up guild events we drop a banner and were still waiting around for people to show up. People that don't want to run will always be lazy. If anything I think it will cause more ppl not to run and slow your raids down even more as you /rs need 6 more to drop a banner. Yet no one wants to run.