Expendable features

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Iven, Aug 1, 2020.

1. Iven Antonius Bayle

With each new expansion more and more "features" got added into our beloved game. Now its a big mess that is puzzling new and old players. My top 5 of the most expendable features are:
    1. Collectibles / Collections (yellow light dots)
    2. Familiars (they can cause eye cancer especially when the PC is a pet class with a merc and a mount)
    3. Fellowship / Campfire (the campfires can cause eye cancer too and do wreck screenshots)
    4. Tribute
    5. Luck stat
    All of these might seem to be usefull and even powerfull but as they do affect about all players they can be also a curse. What are your most expendable features ?
  2. Froglok Augur

Collects are a fun aside and I know LOTS of players who enjoy the hunt for them, not to mention the extra method of getting an instant 15 AA's or 2% XP for completing a set (at Level 115). In fact, I would love to see them go back and add them to older zones. They have become an integral part of the game.

Familiars are fun. They can be placed (at your house or guild hall). They can be key ringed, so you don't use any bank space or house/guild space at all, to possess them. They also provide additional buffs.I favor the buff from the Emperor Ganak Familiar. Lastly, they can be dismissed or hidden (auto leave) so that you can have the buff without the familiar chasing you around.

Campfire / Fellowships are absolutely essential and have so many uses, particularly for people who play together on a regular basis or box. It's a quick way to get to the rest of the group. It is especially useful for those who are... um... Point A to Point B challenged... so to speak. :) They can also be used to mark locations, such as in raids... they are very useful to mark camp spots or casters stay here sort of thing. They are a truly integral and useful part of the game.

Tribute is also useful, particularly when taking on a hard-core named (aka Rare) MOB and for raids. All you have to do is donate that stuff you normally don't loot or vendor sell for tribute points. Granted, you may prefer the plat, but you can still tribute a lot of the No Trade stuff that you can't sell to a vendor. So rather than destroy and fill up your "recover" list with such stuff, tribute it instead. And don't leave such stuff to rot, loot it and tribute it!

As for the Luck stat... hard to argue with that one. Like the Corruption stat it is one of those things where the Devs seemed to be "reaching" for something new, shrugged their shoulders and said, "Meh, let's do this."

While they still have LoN Cards in the Marketplace, I don't understand why they shut down the LoN Game. The LoN marketplace disappeared (you could not buy packs, etc.) and no expansions were being added. No big deal on no new expansions, as there was plenty to do in trying to beat the scenarios and other players. And the marketplace would have simply been another way to gain revenue, to some level. Why shut it down? Why not bring it back and let it just run as is, with the marketplace available?
    Fanra likes this.
  3. Tatanka Joe Schmo

1. Dumb forum posts
  4. haaaalp Augur

If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all.
  5. Tatanka Joe Schmo

1. Dumb forum posts ;)
  6. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Purity and Powersources. Just add the stats to visibles and cast this archaic feature aside.
  7. Nadisia Augur

Yeah, or at least, stop putting tinkering stuff in the middle of the list of powersource components like a pile of poop in the middle of my doormat ...

Seriously, why should I have to feed a stinky gnome just to craft velium core mana batteries for my velium protector sources ... :mad: :p
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  8. Bigstomp Augur

My opinion on power sources varies by expansion.

I currently like power sources even if I don't always use them. (currently only using them in raids until I get unlazy and make more)

I will go back to disliking them if they stop being player made/tradeable again.

Edit: It would be nice if they were available via raid/group coins at some coin count that is reasonable to let us use excess coins for more than just tribute.
  9. Xyphen Maximum Augur

Familiar buffs (e.g., Emperor Ganak) should be permanent like mounts and they're especially annoying to recast as a pet class. I don't mind the Luck stat as it gives me something to do, but I do think raid armor should come maxed.

Tribute is whatever, but Trophies requiring Tribute points to use is a big bummer.

I definitely don't agree on Fellowships/Campfire being expendable. They're literally one of the biggest value props of EQ right now.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Elyssanda like this.
  10. Iven Antonius Bayle

I totally forgot about their existence so they definetly are expendable. All features that offer more combat power are expendable because the power of the mobs in the current and further expansion(s) will be adjusted to them. Its an illusion when players think that it does make them more powerfull. These features are just a hook to sell expansions and keep the players busy in the hamster wheel. Basically they do offer no benefits at all. Features like the campfires are a bit different as they belong to the quality of live category.
  11. Coagagin Guild house cat

Cast your familiar(s) then use the /leave command or put them on auto leave. Problem solved. Don't really see this a problem, in fact I rarely see people dragging familiars around in the first place.

The game/activity has changed and evolved over the years as it should or simply have gone away. Would you expect otherwise?

- Coag
  12. svann Augur

I could do without nimbuses.
  13. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Voice chat integration is so worthless its getting removed next patch. :p
    The twitter and facebook integration is worthless too imho. (does anyone use that?)
    Shadows are useless in their current implementation.

Do people actually use the "bad word"-filter?

I also think the marketplace is useless, seen from a player-perspective at least, I refuse to believe players actually asked for RMT...(they should have made everything attainable ingame instead). I could do without kronos too...stick to the subscription-model!

The "magnify vision" spell-line is pretty useless.
  14. Iven Antonius Bayle

15. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Yes thats the spell!
    Maybe I have missed something, but how do you use it for pulling? maybe there is a neat trick I don't know? :confused:
    (I might have used it for skilling up divination back in the day, but see-invis can be used for that instead...)

I can understand its use for screenshots though, didn't think of that...:)
  16. beyondsay myname New Member

Marketplace helps make the game more profitable so it should stay... profitable = EQ lives longer, let's not lose sight of the fact this is a business :)
  17. Demisio New Member

lol... they cannot handle properly subscriptions, Kronos are the only thing which are working properly at the moment, I wouldn't paid any cent anymore without them because their billing system sucks!
  18. Tatanka Joe Schmo

LOL, never had one issue with billing in (checks calendar), 20 years, as of one week from today :)

What's this wonderful pronouncement based on?
    Nennius likes this.
  19. Raccoo Augur

If you have the keyring for familiars, make the ganak your stat buff and go get Dragonscale Skystrider Scales from the easy quest beside PoK big bank. Then you can rebuff familiar in half a second, even if you have a pet.
    Xyphen likes this.
  20. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Yep, same here. Bills my credit card religiously every time it should, right on the same day. Now Krono is a different story. That's off 8 times a year so you could say Krono are not accurate for billing 3/4 of the time.