Returning after years. Free to Play

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Leli1999, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Leli1999 New Member

So, me and my husband have been playing on Project 1999 since the pandemic started. Have been has some great nostalgia from playing the game back when it first came out. However it is limited on to classic and first two expansions. So coming back to Live, we have started two characters to play together. We are not ready to invest any money yet in the game, so my question is how much enjoyment will we get out of coming back and playing for free?
  2. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Welcome! You will have a blast! So long as your not on a TLP server unless that's what floats your boat.

So on live servers, with you, husband and 2 mercs you can easily get to 110 free which would include ROS expansion.

If you want to get to 115 then you would need to purchase TOV.

Doing normal content, progression, missions, tasks etc. If you want to raid then you will need to go paid probably.

Now this will limit you on AA and RK II spells. Sometimes the spells are only a few hundred increase in stats so could get along without that but the AA you do need. So around level 80 or higher you should know if you like it enough to keep playing then you can pay for one month, do an "auto grant" which will give you ALL the AA on that one character up to his level at the time you auto grant. Then you can go back to F2P and keep all those AA. Tradeskill AA not included.

Some folks say you will be limited cause you cannot wear prestige armor but that is old school and there is a ton of non prestige you can wear nowdays. This list is older but its a nice one I refer to often when bringing up my free accounts

http://eqshadowknight.net/showthread.php?t=8817
  3. Metanis Bad Company

Make multiple characters, do the Tutorial to get you to level 10 and a full set of starter gear, then continue in Crescent Reach. Begin working the Hero's Journey quest arcs. You'll be happily occupied for years! Strongly recommend you each box 2 characters (or even 3 if you are an active player!). Having a 'real' tank is awesome. Having a porter and tracker (druid) is awesome. Having some CC and support like shaman or enchanter is awesome.

I've stayed gold since January, 2000 but I started a 6-box Free crew a few years ago just for the variety. That crew is now level 81 and I'm still doing the content released with Crescent Reach (The Serpent's Spine expansion). My free crew is a druid, a chanter, and 4 mages! I wish I'd made a regular tank though because pet tanking is a pita.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  4. Derka Power Ranger

You will have many many hours of fun until being all access is almost a necessity. Level 80+ maybe is about when you feel the AA need
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

That's another good point that Metanis made. I run a J5 tank merc easily in Frontier Mountains named camps but if your not a paid account then you cannot get that highest merc. Might inhibit you a bit but that's a long way down the road.
  6. Buster_Shruggs Augur

Welcome back, the game is what you make of it! Depending on the classes you and your husband will be fielding, I wouldn't sub/use a Krono until you're both 80 or 85. I think after the 80's its difficult to progress being capped at 250 AAs( assuming you don't spend $$ on raising AA cap limits). Also, using mercs will help you out quite a bit and again; after 80's you would do well to get a J5 merc(requires being All Access). Being FTP will limit your merc choice to Apprentice 2, whose weaknesses become more and more apparent as you level up.

There's an enormous amount of content available for anyone who isn't in a race to hit max level. At level 70 you have OoW, DoDH, and PoR, at 75 you have TSS, TBS, at 80 you have SoF… 10 levels for 6 expansions worth of adventure. I consider that the "sweet spot" when leveling up alts.
    CatsPaws likes this.
  7. Tasi New Member

When you go back to f2p you will be capped at the 250 aa limit for free play. You won't be able to earn more and any over 250 will be locked out until you sub again.
  8. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Right, cannot earn anymore cause the auto grant puts you over the 250 right away, but you can keep the 6000 - 8000 that it gives you.
  9. Tasi New Member

Fyi, as f2p you can't enable auto grant at all.
  10. Buster_Shruggs Augur

I think he meant "go All Access" to use the autogrant and once that time runs out and your account reverts back to FTP, you will retain the autogrant AAs, but unable to earn more AAs.
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Its in my original post a few above these.
  12. Leli1999 New Member

Thanks for the information everyone. So far I have been enjoy ftp. Its just a little overwhelming getting use to the game again as so much has changed and there is so much to do.

I have been trying some of the quests given in Crescent Reach and PoK, and it is helping learn the game again.