Why did the damage from Damage Shield spells increase so drastically with ToV?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by SwordandShield, Jul 25, 2020.

1. SwordandShield Lorekeeper

I am just curious. For example, Shadow Knight Drape of the Magmaforged had 101 Damage Shield , then Drape of the Iceforged is 1665. For Mage, Circle of the Inferno is 672, and then Igneous Coat is 5187 damage shield.
  2. Zamiam Augur

maybe the dev's realized when mobs hit for 30 to 50k a pop we needed a higher dmg shield ? :p
  3. Mithra Augur

Having a 2 hour, 7000 ds on a level 85 is neat.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Fenthen like this.
  4. Barton The Mischievous

The spells needed the bump.
    Mob health went up by large percentages every expansion
    Damage shields went up very little until recently or were limited to a certain number of hits or ticks.

iirc players had been pointing out that damage shields were not scaling well for years, maybe one of the Devs finally crunched the numbers and the team decided it was time to bring them up to date.
    Coagagin, Skuz, minimind and 4 others like this.
  5. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Basically this. Devs finally accepted that damage shields were useless in current content, so it was either stop creating them or make them actually do something.
    Coagagin, Skuz, Andarriel and 4 others like this.
  6. Ninelder Augur

That's an understatement. Tanks have been blocking mage and druid damage shields for over a decade. Since ToV launch I have seen at least half a dozen mages, druids, or rangers "discover" this line of spells that they have always had but never bothered with before. Now lets take another look at "outdoor-only" restrictions and suicide-charm spells; shall we?
  7. Bigstomp Augur

They used to be irrelevant. It's nice they're sorta useful now.
    Petalonyx likes this.
  8. Buster_Shruggs Augur

Lol, you should just post; "I would like to get this nerfed."
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  9. Nennius Curmudgeon

I think YOU just did.
  10. Buster_Shruggs Augur

LOL, a bit more direct than feigning interest in a bump to a ds! No, I wouldn't want it nerfed!! Doesn't make a huge diff in more recent expansions, but its GREAT in earlier expansions.
  11. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Now they just need to realize this is also the situation with regeneration spells.
    IblisTheMage, Barton, Skuz and 6 others like this.
  12. Numiko Augur

really same with all HP buffs, think back to classic a Cleric could add 1200+ hps to you which was enough to counter a good 10-12 max hits by a trash mob, at 115 Cleric HP buffs would not be enough additional hit points to even counter one max hit from a trash mob.
    IblisTheMage, Vumad, Wulfhere and 3 others like this.
  13. Cadira Augur

Eh, comparing classic to current eq is apples to oranges. Classic didn't have pocket mercs on every character that could double their hp at the drop of a hat.

Regen buffs should def be looked at though.
    Skuz likes this.
  14. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I think it is fair to say the OP was a back end run on a nerf call and not the guy pointing it out :)
    Buster_Shruggs likes this.
  15. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Or maybe it was a simple question as it was never mentioned much, even if beta, they just pumped them all up.

Didn't know they landed on an 85 though...might need to play around with that, when level 120 comes out, gonna need a good way to PL people up to 90 lol.
    Andarriel likes this.
  16. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

So true maybe once the level 120 comes around they will upgrade heroics some because a 85 wouldnt get any xp with a 116+ right?

Andarriel
  17. Buster_Shruggs Augur

I think it lands earlier than 85... that's how I noticed the bump in damage. Running some alts through AG/FC/SoF raids , so maybe 75ish? not 100% sure on that. Someone run out and buff a level 70 toon in the guild lobby!!
  18. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

probably lands on a 70+ toon my guess.

Andarriel
  19. Buster_Shruggs Augur

Landed on a shrouded lvl 70 toon...what fun!!! :)
  20. GoneFission Augur

Now if we can only get the same realization on the Shaman distillate potions. Distillate of celestial healing XX heals like 3300 hit points every 6 seconds. I know these potions aren’t supposed to be a cleric, but mobs are tripling and quadding for 10x that amount in under a second. The potions could be 15k hit points every 6 seconds and still not be overpowered.
    Yinla and Skuz like this.