GM Doex

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by wade_watts, Jul 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wade_watts Augur

DPG - for real? using /say for AFK checks while people are killing multiple mobs that spam /say and then suspending people for not responding. Send a freaking tell to the person if you are going to suspend them for AFK play. Nobody is actively watching /say and it's a lame and shady approach.

This isn't me but the second or third time I've heard of it directly and you need to coach your GM's better.
    Adobebodii, Zanarnar, Fenthen and 3 others like this.
  2. KimchiGoddess Augur

Couldn't agree more. For me, /say is put with all the other spam I don't want to see/have to pay attentino to. Tells go to their own window. Guild and group share a window. I don't want to have to add a window for say on the off chance a GM can't be bothered to send me a tell. That's completely silly, GMs need to send tells. People using third party programs have them set to alert when a GM is on, so yeah.
    Adobebodii likes this.
  3. nagash101 Augur

No body watches "say", if this is true its completely silly.
  4. Rizlowned Lorekeeper

5. jeskola pheerie

I think they are trained to use say because people had alerts and automation setup to handle tells.
  6. Tweakfour17 Augur

Next step is emotes..

/e wonders if {playername} is afk.
  7. TheGoblin Elder

GINA can be set up for for tells, so it defeats the purpose. Many 2-4 boxers in my guild have it set up to say "TELL" when they get one so they can just look at that monitor and respond.

Say gets around that.
  8. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Then they weren't afk.... so, it doesn't get around anything. Using /say is dumb.
    Fenthen likes this.
  9. Vylense New Member

Do you brianlets really believe that a box crew that has setup logging to catch tells.. cant do the same thing for /say? Literally all they're doing is monitoring their logs.. they can set triggers for anything.. A GM contacting you in /say is not some marvelous hack to get around this and if DPG or the GM believes it is.. well that explains a lot about the server stability. If a GM has concerns about an afk player, do what they used to do back in the day. Move the player and see what they do.
    Moege likes this.
  10. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

For reference if a GM did this he would be literally next to you with a GIANT NAME THAT SAYS GM at the front and would give you multiple mins to responded.

We get it OP you were botting and you set you audio triggers for tells and nothing for say. Just remember next time it's a perm. Suggest you use that free Xfer to Rizlona the prison server.
    Lejaun and Duder like this.
  11. Imdead Augur

I agree that using /say to communicate is annoying, but having seen a GM on Aradune I can also almost gaurantee you that he was dancing and moving in your characters face which you obviously ignored because you were afk. Sorry not sorry.
    Fenthen, Lejaun and Duder like this.
  12. Karhar Dream Crusher

You do realize GM's can be invisible to players but still use /say right?
    Fenthen and Nordgaren like this.
  13. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

Yeah dude that's totally something that happens all the time.
    Duder likes this.
  14. wade_watts Augur

No offense, but get bent. It's simply not the correct way to engage with players to see if they are AFK. Apparently the other GM's recognized it also because the guys suspension got reduced to a warning. Apart from your unhelpful contributions here, I hope DPG can take notice and pass feedback to the GM community to directly engage with players versus just using /say.

I'm fine with banning and suspending unattended gameplay, but they can use a smart approach to get people actually afk versus someone missing a /say in the midst of text spam.
    Fenthen likes this.
  15. WaitingforMoreEQ WaitingforTBC

No GM ever did that and i've seen some GMs do some WILD things like chain kicking an entire raid from the game to prevent them from DPS race for an EP god.
  16. code-zero Augur

It's not a question of whether it's the "right" way but that it is THE way that they contact you. I recall seeing a couple of senior guides show up at a bot crew on RF complete with bright green names and attempt to get the attention of that crew. The puller literally ran right over them multiple times before they were removed from game.
    Duder likes this.
  17. yerm Augur

I filter say and emote away from ACTUAL chat windows because it gets absolutely spammed with garbage npc messages. Until they add a way to filter pc specific say into its own category this stands. Say is simply not a channel that people who actually play everquest use as a reliable one for communication and we all know and keep seeing proof of the fact that eq GMs do not actively play the game themselves.

Here is a novel idea: instead of ditching tells and using a method most good players ignore, try ditching the whole "I am a cop" opener for something unique that has the same authority. "Hi there, I am doex and work for darkpaw games" one tell, "excuse me I am gamemaster doex" another and maybe a "Doex here for darkpaw with a great new anti botting product" another time.

Or just shout if you want to avoid tells. Fun fact: having a gm show up and shout that he is here investigating afk gameplay please respond would cause bystanders to see that there are really GMs doing work, and maybe win over some of the haters...
    Fenthen likes this.
  18. Alakshak Journeyman

I've been in groups with people who forget to change their default channel to /g and then wonder why everyone is ignoring them. A lot of people have /say quarantined into a "spam" chat tab. While I understand the need to try and get around automation defensive tactics this would legit lead to quite a few false positives if applied to normal veteran players. You could go thru a dungeon and spot check literally every group there, weather suspected or not, and you'd have grounds to suspend I wager 10-20% of the zone. The only reason it's not higher is because group members would be yelling at each other "Answer the GM bro" in /g for them.
    Fenthen likes this.
  19. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

This idea would probably never be implemented since it would annoy the hell out of everyone, but here it goes.

Program a sentry service that sits off away from the servers so it won't use game server resources. Have it run a random bot check on connected clients. It prompts you with an IR code that you need to scan or prompts you to enter a current authentication code from google authenticator. If you enter the correct code, it leaves you alone for the entire session. If you fail, it kicks you back to character select with a cool down period before you can log back in.
  20. aalith New Member

It is completely illogical and unfair, in a game where you can customize and filter out the chat you don't want to see, for GMs to then use said chat to verifiy if you are a human being or AFK.

I didn't start monitoring chat until Rizlona... Normally I have these filtered out so I don't even see them.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.