Cross-server recruitment general spam

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Benito, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Pawtato Augur

How slow is your general chat, if twice an hour or 6 times a day is spam?
  2. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Frequent cross-server chat is spam imo. Few people are willing to pay 25 bucks to pick up an item or join a guild (unless it's a top tier raid guild).

I honestly wouldn't mind a cross-server ad once or a few times a week. But it seems a bit out-of-hand to see another server's ad on a constant basis (multiple times a day).

We can agree to disagree but this Xegony individual is stirring up quite a few other servers' general chats so many share my opinion.
  3. Duder Augur

Yeah, this person has been on my ignore list on every char for quite some time. Always a good way to make a name for your guild... spam other servers general chat.
    Benito likes this.
  4. Benito EQ player since 2001.

This is the definition of spam from Merriam Websters dictionary:

Definition of spam

(Entry 1 of 3)

: unsolicited usually commercial messages (such as e-mails, text messages, or Internet postings) sent to a large number of recipients or posted in a large number of places
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/spam
    --------
    In other words, "spam" is not just relegated to quantity (i.e. my stuck hotkey spams general chat) but also quality (i.e. unwanted services: guild on another server).
    Coagagin, Elyssanda and Duder like this.
  5. Pawtato Augur

A couple times an hour is pretty reasonable to me. It’s catching different people at different times of day. If, it bothers you definitely put them on ignore but getting annoyed by once or twice is an hour is approaching “Get off my lawn” territory.
    Tatanka likes this.
  6. Voxynn Elder

There will be no fix for this. Enjoy.

Toss them on your ignore lost and stop complaining about trivial garbage..
  7. Benito EQ player since 2001.

He's been doing this for the past 4 months nonstop. 1 person shouldn't force hundreds or thousands of people (not to mention alts on various accounts) to /ignore. That kind of time and disruption adds up. He also sets a dangerous precedent where it will encourage even more cross-server spam behavior.
  8. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Mark as Spam and Petition may work. We simply need to encourage people to take time to do it. Eventually his character/account could be flagged as spam.
  9. Pawtato Augur

Dangerous precedent that someone might use the general chat channel once or twice a hour?
  10. Benito EQ player since 2001.

The dangerous precedent of encouraging constant spam (unsolicited ads) from another server? Yes.

Most newbs don't know about cross-server chat capabilities. Now they do. Got this LoN mount to sell but buyer has to pay for transfer. Time to spam Bristlebane, Cazic, EMarr, Xegony, Luclin, Tunare, Bertoxx, Drinal, Povar, Rathe, and so forth. It's only twice an hour (x10 servers) for the next 4 months. lol.
    Duder likes this.
  11. Benito EQ player since 2001.

The person in question is spamming multiple times a day again. It seems like his ads slows down for a period; probably when he goes on break or gets a warning from a GM.

I am getting equally annoyed by the Ice Encrusted cross server spam which has increased lately.

Can devs implement a code to limit cross-server chat to tells and .serverwide channels? It might even help with game performance.
  12. svann Augur

Obviously petition wont do anything since its not against the rules. Just use /ignore.
  13. Benito EQ player since 2001.

He may have been warned. He disappeared for a few weeks.

The devs should remove cross-server General Chat access since they already removed the All Access Day timer.

People think their guilds or Ice Encrusted items are God's gift to EQ.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  14. Bobb Loblaw New Member

Why are you spamming my Veterans' Lounge feed? I shouldn't have to be subjected to this.
    Tatanka and svann like this.
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I am sure you are being facetious but:

1. This was on page 2 by the time you bumped it.

2. [New information] With the removal of the All Access Day timer, perhaps some access on cross-server chat can be limited (with the exception of server wide channels and tells). On a corollary note, people can be subject to scams by cross-server trades (pay first with plat on buyer's server, pick up after on seller's server).

3. Like the 'New Member' profile created on July 12 2020.
  16. Duder Augur

Sounds like the alter ego of the person of topic.
    Benito likes this.
  17. svann Augur

See also:
    TLP go home!
  18. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Easy fix just dont join general chat!

Andarriel
  19. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

As an aside to this thread it would be a cool feature if a player could parse how many others have them on /ignore...could be a tool for better behavior? I.E. /ignorecount results in 156 players have you on ignore etc
  20. Waring_McMarrin Augur

How many would take that as a challenge to see how many ignores they could get before they got banned.
    Deux and Sokki like this.