Random Text from "a bonecrawler hatchling" in Field of Bone

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Protocol, Jul 18, 2020.

1. Protocol Dragon Defender

While in Field of Bone on the Mangler server I have seen "a bonecrawler hatchling" say the following text several times.

A bonecrawler hatchling says, "Bah, you are not ready for this trial! your skills are weak and you are not dressed well for battle. Do not return and embarrass yourself further until you have improved yourself."
    Bobbybick, Skuz and niente like this.
  2. Tucoh Augur

Looks like it's been happening since at least 2004 :D

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/npc.html?id=4178#m107767147867152

These bonecrawlers sure are demanding.
  3. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Sentient Spiders, the kind of bug that sends shivers down the spines of arachnophobes everywhere.
  4. Pip Developer

Real rood of them to be judging your outfit too. Thanks for the heads up I'll poke this asap.
    Skuz likes this.
  5. Pip Developer

Looking more into this, I may need some more details. Can you PM me details such as maybe when you saw this? Which class are you? What were you doing? That kind of stuff. I really want to figure out why a spider is yelling at everyone when nobody asked for its opinion in the first place.
  6. Imukai Augur

Obviously the embodiment of an iksar monk, waiting for someone to challenge them.

Or maybe Cazic Thule himself mingling with the lowers near his scaley people, like Rodcet Nife does as a fish in Qeynos for the smelly humans.
  7. Protocol Dragon Defender

Pip, I was on the Mangler server grinding by killing these spiders. This has happened to me on a Shaman, a Beastlord and a Monk, always while soloing. Another use here has video footage I think, they may be able to upload it here for you.
  8. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Here is a clip but I don't think it really shows much more than has been said here.
    https://clips.twitch.tv/SourHilariousStorkThunBeast

I can't even confirm if it was the spider saying the line when I engaged it in combat (some kind of aggro message) or if a different spider in the room just emoted it when it spawned. My assumption is that it is related to the berserker epic 1.0 event with Mardic Crimsonsteel as a check to see if you satisfy the requirements.
  9. Nniki Augur

Makes sense. The ZAM post from the link above suggests the same:
    It was posted on February 24th, 2004. Gates of Discord launched February 10th.

If hail as non-berserker:

Mardic Crimsonsteel says, 'As ye are not a berserker, ye must find yer own path to excellence. I cannot help ye.'

If hail as berserker but do not meet level requirement:

Mardic Crimsonsteel says, 'Ye are too young to attempt the trials I have to offer.'

If hail as berserker, meet level requirement, but not ready for trial:

No response.

Aside from the inconsistency in his usage of "you" and "ye" (as noted in the ZAM post), this line totally makes sense here:

Mardic Crimsonsteel says, 'Bah, you are not ready for this trial! your skills are weak and you are not dressed well for battle. Do not return and embarrass yourself further until you have improved yourself.'

If berserker, meet level requirement, and ready for trial:

Mardic Crimsonsteel says, 'Hail to you, feared one. I see the glint of rage in them eyes of yours there. One day you'll be able to recognize the same in others. I suppose now is the time to talk to you about the mirage around here. Tell you the truth, I wasn't able to beat it myself... that's why I'm out here and not establishing myself as a berserker. I wasn't meant for that path. I'm here to guide folk like yourself and help you gain control of the insane beast that lurks inside you. You must be prepared to fight one like yourself. All ye need are your wits, brawn, and skill, nought else. When you are ready give me the note McArik gave you and I'll send you to the training grounds.'
    Tweakfour17 and Bobbybick like this.