Time to BAN all the 'special trackers' out there

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Trebor, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Honkietonk Lorekeeper

It's not like that's mutually exclusive, I think anyone with an IQ over 17 would realize it's cheating. I would never say it isn't.
  2. Urshulgi Augur

I would argue that the sheer convenience it gives to regular people who are boxing their own groups overrides most of the concerns about cheating. Yeah, the RMT krono boxers are annoying. Luckily, the game hates me and I almost never get rare drops that aren't trash anyways. During the recent 76% weekend, I had the frenzy camp in lguk to myself for 15 spawn cycles and saw the frenzy once.

These programs allow dudes with free time to make less than minimum wage to camp rares and then sell them for a pittance.
  3. Stune Augur

Get rid of the krono and cap the max plat to 5k (raise it for each expansion), Krono you can restrict to 2 max, and used only for account purposes when traded only. 30 days. Such and easy fix, then work on the rest.
  4. code-zero Augur

no that's not easy at all. Krono are account wide and cover games other than EQ. Your Krono restrictions are ridiculous. To make it work there would need to be an entirely separate game with an entirely separate login and those things exist on the various emulators.
    Skuz likes this.
  5. Sikkun Augur

Show E Q came about 13 years before Krono.
  6. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Not even a year after EQ was out. :rolleyes:

v1.0 - 01/01/2000
    -----------------
    - Initial Release (Megaton)
  7. Triconix Augur

If you're looking for convenience, this game wasn't intended for you. It was intended to be a grind. If I wanted convenience in a game, I'd play one that comes with auto aim built in, linear gameplay, and an actual ending.

Half the fun of EQ is exploration and discovery. Why bother playing if all you want is instant gratification? Sense of accomplishment and relief after completing something difficult or time consuming gives a much better satisfaction than cheating to acquire something, imho.

All the things you listed as convenience would should be the difference between a skilled EQ player and a novice just wanting to be first in line for everything. One has dedication and plays the game the right way, the other is childish and entitled.
    Duder likes this.
  8. TrollMan Elder

Sounds like me and my guild..thats EQ Baby. lol we just zerg everything. need gears to feel good :D
  9. Death Strudel Augur

l

oh noes he googled! you think you can't hide processes from this, easily? Go look at the detours API. And you think DBG couldn't then write code that could detect those processes? And you think hackers couldn't write code that hides from THOSE processes? And...

It's turtles all the way down. Give it up, this battle was lost in 2000, which is approximately when most people started using those 3rd party tools as a regular part of the game. The PC is not a secure platform. Stop worrying about nonsense or go play console games.
  10. Stune Augur

Neither is the console's too, USB hacks all over.
  11. Tucoh Augur

I don't think you're following the conversation very well.
    KimchiGoddess likes this.
  12. Ssmiter Journeyman

Can't beat em, join em...it clearly isn't against the rules to know when mobs spawn on your mage from the other side of a mountain and know exactly where it is...so I guess its time to just use it ourselves.
  13. Death Strudel Augur

It's 6 pages of dumb. But I think you are not extrapolating my comment. Obviously that code is not illegal if you use it on your own system. It is illegal to do it on someone else's system, without their permission and export that data somehow. Somewhere in the EULA you are implicitly agreeing to, you may be consenting to allowing DBG to run functionally equivalent code on your machine. Maybe. You can hire a lawyer and work it out, but it'd be a waste of money. It *ought* to be illegal, donate to the EFF, but unfortunately EULAs do have some level of support in law, so we're stuck with it for now.

Certainly some other games out there are installing kernel mode hacks to take this code to the next level and avoid the simple hooks which would hide processes from the user API level process list. And users are consenting to that code running on their system, which is much more dangerous and has the potential to expose truly nasty things (passwords, CC #s, your richard pic's folder, etc.). But even that code can be tricked by other kernel mode hacks. And this game can be played for as long as people want to keep investing money in it. It's a waste of time, especially for something so stupid as mob radar.

The right thing to do is not to sent mob data for the whole zone to the client to begin with, but perhaps that is too computationally expensive for their servers. The next best thing to do is just make this mob data available to everyone, in game, (wow radar window, for example, or the em qew two map plugin). But then, these tools are freely available to everyone, so perhaps the whiners should just go download them and enjoy, or choose not to do so, and live with their decisions.

Either way this debate was had on the forums 20 years ago when it first showed up, and there were efforts by Verant to stop these programs, and they did ultimately fail. And many threads were made mocking their failures, and may more whiner threads made by people who spend a lot of time worrying about what other people do in a game that is not fundamentally competitive.
  14. Maze Elder

You can't just "change pointers every 12 hours".
    That's not how this works, that's not how memory works.
  15. Maze Elder

You're right, easily defeatable. As of the latest patch, they started encrypting the data they collect.
    I suspect that eqgame has been invoking the enumwindows function for a while (and subsequently collecting the data via the AddPlayer call/function), but I haven't given enough worry to run a procmon.

I think DPG is actually going after botters a systematic way instead of hearsay, only time will tell.
  16. Arkeal_Rathe_Bots Lorekeeper

Then maybe it's time.
  17. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You know where the door is.
  18. Arkeal_Rathe_Bots Lorekeeper

Is it your goal to be the last one standing alone on the server? Because this seems to be your response when faced with any oposition.

Thanks for letting us know you yourself use it.
  19. Death Strudel Augur

You seem to be alone in caring, you need to go away. Those of us still around don't really have a problem with it. We all know about it, people choose to use it or not at their personal discretion. This has been true for 20 years.

Nobody cares about your position, it's manifestly stupid. Go away, troll another day.
  20. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

You are the one who suggested it was time to shut EQ down not me...

So if you want to stay please stay, if you think it is time the game shut down kindly leave by the nearest available exit, nobody is going to twist your arm into staying or force you to stay if you want to see EQ closed.

Twisting what I said 180 degrees to say I wanted to be left alone on my server is some impressive mental gymnastics.